whats up with germanloook.com????

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
BOB JOHNS

whats up with germanloook.com????

Post by BOB JOHNS »

its just not there
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

Then how so I sell off my Porsche transmissions and suspension parts without an audience? :wink:
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

It looks like us Germanlookers are here now.
My psychic senses were telling me teh GL forum was going away.
Now, alas, it looks like our beloved GL forum may actually be gone...
I hope not.
There was some very, very, good stuff on that forum.
Think of all the time put in by some really smart people!

Long Live the Shop Talk Forums!
Best forums on earth!
:D
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

What can STF do to accomodate the GL crowd? Add a forum? Change the "Euro Look" forum somehow?

While I have no intention of undermining GL.com and continue to wish it success, if it is not going to go further, STF has a great desire to preserve the community that already exists, rather than letting it scatter. In fact, I have worked in the last year or so to cultivate a more international membership hoping for more participation from the particularly large communities in Europe and Australia, in particular. Both these groups, IMO, bring many different ideas than our more accepted American wisdom. And both these groups, particularly the Euros are well down the "german look" road - go figure. :roll: The Aussies seem to have an amazing knack for making things work with little to start with - pretty handy for those of us without fat wallets and complete shop facilities.

Anyway, I would be happy to hear form the GL crowd. If the group is interested in finding a new home, I will do what I can to provide one.

One last thought. For those that think running one of these forums and paying for it is a piece of cake, I beg to differ. There is always something wrong. We live on open code, free software and the spammers never go away. The expense, while not ridiculous, is still a bill that has to be paid every month. So, maybe GL ought to be cut a little slack and given a little time to find it's way back from the dark side. If it happens, few will be more pleased than I.

Respectfully,

doc
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

What can STF do to accomodate the GL crowd? Add a forum? Change the "Euro Look" forum somehow?
Doc,
you are doing everything we need right now.
Build it, and they will come, er, come back :D

Man, being on the Samba, 16 year olds with rusty primer junk talking smack....
Welcome to the DORKside!
it's enough to make anyone with a REAL car (that actually runs) want to puke....

This site is the original and best.

Lots of people have their own forums now.
Kind of sad, really, because it was great when everyone was on.
The search here is just SO fun sometimes...
Joe Sumen arguing with Jake and Shad and....

Thanks for keeping it here and up and real, man.
it really brightens my day.

Steve
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

The "dorkside". Ok, I'm laughing. But, thesamba, IMO, remains the killer aircooled site. My hat is constantly off to Everett Barnes who is always doing what I'm dreaming about. The samba forums are not my style even though there are a lot of good posters.

Thanks for the nice words but the real heros here are the posters and the regulars who are constantly and graciously providing amazing wisdom and experience FOR FREE! Without the members, this site would not exist. I just want to provide the means for folks to "share via posting".

So, GL members, whether you like STF or not longterm, please leave us a little of yourselves when you're here. Pics in the gallery. Answer a question or two. Post your project or even just a small improvement will help make our forums even better.

Thanks,

doc
Jim Andritsakos

Post by Jim Andritsakos »

IMHO the best is to add the German look forum not to merge it with the Euro look forum.

Jim
Jim Andritsakos

1973 1303 German look (project)
1975 ex Bundeswehr vw 181 (FS)
1988 T3 Syncro 16 doubledoor
1990 T3 Syncro panel
1985 T3 Syncro ambulance (FS)
1985 T3 2WD panel (FS)
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Thanks, Jim. I appreciate the opinion.

Here's what needs to happen if STF is to open a germanlook forum. First, I would like one or several of the GL regulars to contact me and express some commitment to the forum. It wouldn't seem to make any sense to set up a forum that just dies in a few weeks when GL.com gets back in business or to set up a forum for only a few posts or a few people. Second, I will not set up a new forum without a commited moderator. That person ought to have some experience.

Again, if GL.com is just experiencing temporary difficulties, then I have no intention of undermining their continuing effort. Let's make sure. GL members are welcome to post and commiunicate here in the interim. If GL.com is going to discontinue, I hope the members will consider STF as a viable alternative for a new home.

I'll await contact.

doc
Jim Andritsakos

Post by Jim Andritsakos »

Well,

The GL site has a lot of specific forums (transaxle,brakes,suspension).
Most of them are already available here with the exception of the brakes forum.
If you make just one forum for the GL community I think that we get a lot of traffic here so, no worries about "sudden death" of the forum.If you remember the same with the WBX forum too.
I used to be moderator in the brakes forum in the GL site but I was always keep visiting the shoptalkforums 4-5 times per week.Shoptalkforums are forums that you will never lost interest.
I will be glad to help to moderate the new forum as well...

Regards,
Jim
Joe Sumen

Post by Joe Sumen »

Clatter wrote:
Lots of people have their own forums now.
Kind of sad, really, because it was great when everyone was on.
The search here is just SO fun sometimes...
Joe Sumen arguing with Jake and Shad and....

Steve
Any points argued were meant to be constructive and illuminating while still being entertaining and on topic. Raby's a knowledgable guy as is Law's. An awful lot of valuable knowledge has been shared by many - It was great fun being an active participant. Steve, thank you for remembering - We must have left an impression.

JS
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

JOE! YOU'RE ALIVE!
Joe Sumen

Post by Joe Sumen »

Yes... :) I am
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Posting just to say "Hi!" to Joe!

We were wondering if you had been run over by a bus or something :lol:

BTW, (to all) has there been any further info on Germanlook.com status?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

Piledriver wrote:Posting just to say "Hi!" to Joe!

We were wondering if you had been run over by a bus or something :lol:

BTW, (to all) has there been any further info on Germanlook.com status?
It should be back to it's old glory within the next couple of weeks according to Superman. It's getting a new host and then getting some tweeks. I think the gallery is up and running again.

Jason
Wally

Post by Wally »

GL is down again. Bummer!
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks