996 headlight in bug fenders

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
BOB JOHNS

996 headlight in bug fenders

Post by BOB JOHNS »

Does anybody have in pic's of DerrickfromNC bug with the 996 headlights ? I have asked him for pic's but dead end. any help would be koool guy on german look want to go 911 I was like 996 are way kooler! Cheers Bob
Steve Arndt

Re: 996 headlight in bug fenders

Post by Steve Arndt »

He has been posting to the samba lately. Hit him up there. I think he is DerickNC1 or something like that.
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

I looked at his posts there, no pics of his bug.

Jason
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Yep, I know. PM him, he has pics.
BOB JOHNS

Post by BOB JOHNS »

well I 'll try I guess to pm him
DerrickfromNC

Post by DerrickfromNC »

There were a bunch of pixs of my car in progress under the title of "Making of a custom GL". Unfornutately this was back in 2001/02 time frame and the pixs have disappeared. My headlights are actually from a 1995 Porsche 993. My car is currently sitting on jack stands with a paint job/scheme that I'm not happy with and minus my 18" Porsche turbo twist wheels that were on my wife's 57 Speedster replica which we sold about 6 months ago.

This spring I will be getting a set of 18" Porsche boxster wheels the 5 spoke versions from the 2002-04 model year and an exterior makeover. Building a house, yard work and the wife's projects have taken priority. We just purchased a 68 bay window as a replacement to here 57 speedster so I'll also be busy on that one. I'm currently using an iPad & not sure if I can post pixs with it......I'll so if the wife can post some recent garage shots of the bug on her laptop when I can get her to break away from her work.

Steve Arndt.....do you know of a way of viewing pixs posted back in 2001? My registered user name was "Derrick from NC" back then.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Derrick,

PM "Doc" here, he is the admin. He may have access.
Thinking back, this site didn't "host" pics back then, they had to be linked to from an external hosting site.

Do you still hear from Big Earl vw911?

Don't these projects take fricking FOREVER???

Steve
BOB JOHNS

Post by BOB JOHNS »

Kool 993 headlight i will have remember that I love hows those headlights are popping off on a bug !!!! Some guy on the gremanlook.net was asking about 911 headlight conversion And I was like do the 993 headlights There the sh#t! ...... :twisted:
DerrickfromNC

Post by DerrickfromNC »

I had a cookout back in October and Earl(vw911) and his family attended. He's married with 2 daughters now & I think that takes a lot of his time. I'll see if I can get him back on the forum to update us on his projects.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Tell him I said HI.
s
BOB JOHNS

Post by BOB JOHNS »

how did you get the headlights to mount ?
DerrickfromNC

Post by DerrickfromNC »

BOB JOHNS wrote:how did you get the headlights to mount ?
The backs of the headlights extend back(8" plus) so far that significant body work was required to keep the back of the lights from hitting the tires. Purchased a 2nd set of fenders and cut out the headlight section and grafted it onto the original fenders such that the headlights are extended forward about 2". This gave me the clearance to keep the tires from hitting the lights. Sounds odd but like Steve Arndt said back during my original post under "Derrick from NC" it looks factory.
Since the original buckets are removed I will need to come up with a way to keep water and road debris from messing up the backs of the headlights. I will take some digital pixs today and see when my wife can post them.

Also these headlights laid back on a 993. We had to tilt them forward somewhat in the VW fenders otherwise it would have been difficult to clear the tires witthout pushing the headlights further forward. The headlights are adjustable and I was able to point the beam upwards enough to keep the beam from pointing downward. The headlights set flush mounted in the fenders and I made a bracket which keeps the light in place using one of the fender mounting bolts.
BOB JOHNS

Post by BOB JOHNS »

sweet cant wait to see some pic's !
DerrickfromNC

Post by DerrickfromNC »

BOB JOHNS

Post by BOB JOHNS »

Thanks man for posting the headlights. Like the hood where did you score that at? Sweet ride 8)