AWFUL experience with Airkewld BAD Series Brakes

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
doc
Site Admin

Re: AWFUL experience with Airkewld BAD Series Brakes

Post by doc »

So, as I understand this, this has been wrapped up. Money has been refunded, parts have been returned. The vendor has publicly admitted his error and promised to do a better job. Unfortunately, I guess it's one of those deals where nobody comes out very happy. We can all learn something here.

Members will take from this what they want for future decisions. But the issue seems very close to closed to me. Further bantering probably won't get anywhere.

I applaud both the original poster for identifying a significant problem and the vendor for responding publicly.

Best of luck to all,

doc
Mr_Zed_ZX20

Post by Mr_Zed_ZX20 »

I had similar issues with Airkewld, but it was with a pair of Billet hood hinges. I order the hinges and the total was almost $100. I called Pete (Airkewld) multiple times when they didn't show up by the delivery date and every time I was given another reason as to why I haven't got them. My favorite excuse was they decided to go from cnc milling to water jet to cut the hinges so that it gave the part a "more billet look" and it was holding up production. Now for those who don't know, billet simply means "one piece". It doesn't matter if its cast, forged, cnc'd, water jet cut, etc. If it started as one piece then its billet. Anyways, my car was at the paint shop and was coming close to the point of assembly. Two months had passed and no hinges to speak of so I called to cancel the order. When I told Pete that I no longer needed the parts because he failed to get them to me in a reasonable amount of time he seemed upset. He told me that he was a one man operation and that he was simply overwhelmed. Now if he had told me that in the first place I may have shown some compassion, but no, I was given a bunch of BS excuses as to why they weren't shipped. Three weeks later a package shows up and it was the hinges. Now I'm really pissed. Upon inspection of these "Billet show quality hinges" I see that they are nothing more than two pieces of flat stock aluminum that were milled out and shipped to me. They still had the ink designating the type and thickness of the metal. In addition to this, they weren't event drilled right as the hole for the hood spring was way too low. On top of all that, the hinges had deep scratches in the face of them that would require milling out a decent chunk of the face to clean them up (probably close to .030 or more). I called my bank to refuse payment and was told how to handle the issue. First I had to contact the seller and notify them that I was returning the product and refusing payment. I called Pete several times and got no answer. I had two numbers for him and couldn't get through after multiple attempts. I said fine, I'll send it back like I was instructed to and be done with this. So another four weeks go by and the package shows back up as it was not accepted by the Airkewld. So I got my money back and now have these POS hinges stuffed away in my storage unit. I went a different route and made my own from 0.25" aluminum using a stock hinge that was split in half as a template for the hole location. Then I used a hole saw to make holes in it and put a scotchbrite pad in a drillpress and gave them a machine turned finish. They're not perfect, but they are night and day difference from what Airkewld sold me. I don't care if Airkewld is the last supplier of VW parts on the planet, I'll abandon my interest VW's before I do business with him again.
Airkewld.com

Post by Airkewld.com »

Absolute fabrication.

These hinges are cnc'd from plate aluminum, nothing water jetted at all. We have a cheaper option which is straight of the machine finish, which you purchased, or polished which would have a bitchin show finish.

Every client always has the option of returning a product if they are not happy with it. My phone numbers have never changed in 6 years, my email has been the same for 10 years, I have yet to have a return on hinges or any correspondence with a credit card company on a part or person not happy with hinges.

Before you start posting blasphemous fabrications, check your story first.

If you got your money back and you still have the hinges, congrats on working the system and being a thief. My return address is posted on my website and every invoice.

I am glad these last two posts will be deleted because they have nothing to do with the previous clients brake issues.

Enjoy your weekend thief.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Well, i have decided not to delete the last two posts. A member posted. A member responded. Other members can read the complete post and decide for themselves. Personally, it seems to me that everybody did learn something here.

I point out that Mr_Zed_ZX20 is a member with one post. Airkewld.com has been around a lot longer. Just sayin'.......

doc
Mr_Zed_ZX20

Post by Mr_Zed_ZX20 »

First off, I'm not a thief. And secondly I'll be happy to send them back to you as soon as I'm back where they're located provided you pay for the shipping. If things go as planned I'll be able to retrieve them before Christmas. The hinges are still in the original box you sent them to me in along with the confirmed shipping sticker stating the package was not accepted. If you would like, as soon as I get them I'll post up pics in a thread to show you what I received.

I understand that I don't have a long seated history with this forum. Typically I'm not a big poster to begin with unless its something I can directly relate to. So if everybody wishes to dismiss what I've said that is ok with me.

Zed
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Zed,

You'd be surprised at how many take these posts very seriously. It's important that we get things right.

As I said, maybe everybody can learn something form this.

Further communications with AK should be direct. There is no sense in you guys communicating through STF. You both have email. Other members can read your complaint and the response and decide for themselves.

Good luck to both parties. I'd like to wrap this up now.

doc
vwo60

Post by vwo60 »

I just do not get people buying so called performance brakes that are not vented and made so complicated when you go to fit them they do not, one piece billet hub drilled to suit without a bolt on adapter held on by counter sunk bolts, would not pass engineers inspection in Australia, rotors made of steel instead of cast iron, all very well for the car show but it does not matter how big the caliper is it will just generate more heat faster on a non ventilated rotor.A waste of time.
Airkewld.com

Post by Airkewld.com »

vwo60 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:02 am I just do not get people buying so called performance brakes that are not vented and made so complicated when you go to fit them they do not, one piece billet hub drilled to suit without a bolt on adapter held on by counter sunk bolts, would not pass engineers inspection in Australia, rotors made of steel instead of cast iron, all very well for the car show but it does not matter how big the caliper is it will just generate more heat faster on a non ventilated rotor.A waste of time.
Thanks for commenting. Many lessons learned over the now 15+ years. How to run a business, how to embrace issues and get better each day.

We have amazing success with our brakes world wide. From auto crossing, to 8 second PRO Turbo cars, to daily drivers with 100k on them. But we understand that just because of those successes in business, it is the unsuccessful trials and tribulations that allow us to better our product every day.

Unless you have a specific first hand knowledge of our brakes not passing inspection in AUS, I can tell you probably 8% of 16,000 or so kits built are in AUS and I have yet to have one of my clients pass that knowledge onto me. I think the calls from upset client there would be over whelming. The steel single blade rotors have been working amazing so far, less than 1% have issues. Once again, I appreciate your comment, I look forward to more discussion on the product line.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Airkewld,
I haven't looked at this topic in quite a while. Your addressing these concerns on forums like this is appreciated and the exact right thing to do nowadays. Too many businesses have a "Holier than thou" attitude and think that the squeaky wheel is someone voicing their complaint just to get attention. I had a few bad experiences with CB Performance over the years, maybe things have changed over there, but I haven't needed to buy anything they sell lately. I ran a VW shop for a few years--no matter how stressful things got, I was never rude to anyone in person or on the phone. My point is bombarding the internet with positive reviews is not necessarily the right answer. Ignoring the "bad" reviews (often valid in some cases) basically writes those people off as whiners, but doesn't necessarily fix the problem.
So again, thanks for taking the time to address issues head on.