What is the true German Look?

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Here is my answer:

Back in 1989 when I entered the VW Beetle scene in Germany most of the VW fanatics went for bigger fender and Porsche spoilers.
Some of the cars (the nicer ones) featured already 944 brake and sometime you saw that odd person with 944 Turbo brake with Porsche Fuchs rims. You saw all kinds of tailights fitted to the Beetle. I believe 1991 nearly everybody got rid of their big 911 spoilers. Spoilers were out. If you had a car with spoilers the crowed you just started to laugh.....hmmmm maybe it was not that bad. When I started to build my Super in 93 after having a 1200 Mexican I had the chance to pick up early 16 inch C2 Porsche rims. On top of that I picked up a reasonable set of 944 brakes. Man....back in those days the cost a lot for a used set (1000$ at that time if you were lucky to get a set).

Other types of Porsche rims just started to be seen on shows. Fuchs were everywhere but there were very very few Cup 1s. The German Look got more and more sophisticated. I guess now it is more stock VW with as much high-teck as you can fit into it. Gone are the times that you see spoiler (on the Street) different taillights and other weird stuff. Now it is pure Bug with a lot of Porsche engineering stuffed into them.
If you look at the magazines the best GLs are the ones that are stock outside stuffed with all the gadgets in the inside. No chrome (or minimized)lowered on nice rims with now (new trend) a lot of Carbon Fibre.

That is excatly what I am building....just that I keep as much from the Bug as possible, even the T1 engine is going to stay. I have problem though finding Carbon Fibre pieces for a 52,hehehe

Alex
Derrick from NC

Post by Derrick from NC »

I'm not sure what the diffinition of a GL is but I hope we don't get as strict as the Callook. My GL probably will not fit the description of what many would call a GL. In addition to 18" Porsche alloys and 993 headlights my bodywork will include custom bumpers, tailights, running boards, air intake, and paint with graphics to name a few.
As far as spoilers goes I think as soon as someone comes out with a nice sudtle looking spoiler that is not as big as the ones on the 911 they will be back in style. I'm keeping my eyes on some of the ones coming out for the New Beetle.

Derrick from NC
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Derrick,

your car already looks sweet and it is not even finished yet. Do not put a spoiler on the car......well I guess that is personal taste. I just think that you can not modify a beetle to look like a 911. It is a Beetle and that why we drive it I guess.
There is no proper definition for a GL. Everybody has a different taste which is good. Some cars are nicer some are not.
I just want to hear what the people on this forum think.

Alex
stephen

Post by stephen »

Derrick
You mention that you have 993 lights on your beetle. Two questions 1) Hard or easy...I was thinking of mid 80's 911 lights...but 993 are the new style polymer lights right?? 2) dare I ask..what sort of money are these light $$$thousands ?? Aussy dollar worth like 5c US Image
Kecker

Post by Kecker »

Hey Guys, The Euro Look car, first off, has a "road racer" appearance. So that means the lastest in road race type parts should be in place. Tall rims, short sidewall fat tires, wider fenders and disc brakes. Hopefully some more "go" to match the road racer look. What cosmetics people use for lights, paint and interior etc. is a matter of personal taste - it should be wide open. I like the variety and creativeness I see from the many VW builders out there. But to me, if you want the "Euro Look" you need the above items for sure. Enjoy your VW!

------------------
Kecker
Derrick from NC

Post by Derrick from NC »

I have the lights but not installed yet. According to my bodyman who specializes in building custom street rods it will not be a problem. It will require removing the headlight buckets on my 66-earlier fenders because of the large size of the rear portion of the 993 lights. I paid $260 for the pr. which were sold by a guy who was upgrading to the gas filled units(blue tinted). Check the Porsche web pages I've seen several sets for sell lately! The Porsche 993 lights are the 95-98 model year. The gas-filled units were a option for the 993 and standard on the Turbo. They require a transformer and we're talking big$$ for this setup. The look identical to the standard version until you turn on the lights. I have a calender with a bug that has a set installed...as soon as I find it I'll scan the pix.