Lightweight wheel options for Euro Look

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
Dan Dryden

Lightweight wheel options for Euro Look

Post by Dan Dryden »

Hi Guy's.

I have never posted in this part of the forum before, spending most of my time in the forced induction threads.
Here is a picture of my 1972 1302 Bug:

It currently sits on 18 inch TechArt rims. 8 inch wide up front and 9.5 inch wide out back.
As great as I think they look, I can't help but notice how heavy they are and wonder if there is a good lightweight alternative?

I'm liking the idea of switching back down to some 15 inch rims but would need them to be wide enough to fill my rear arches which are 6cm wider than standard.

When I google "lightweight wheels", a common match is Oz Ultraleggera's. Not available in Porsche 5x130 stud pattern, so I would have to change my hubs / adapters to a PCD which is available.

Do you think they will still work with the style of my car?
Do you have any other suggestions?

I want to reduce the unsprung weight of my car as I feel the handling could be a lot more nimble when I take the car on track days. :wink:

itawolf

Re: Lightweight wheel options for Euro Look

Post by itawolf »

Enkei RPF1 18' @ 17lbs

And alot of oz 18 between 17-15lbs

Ur wheels I believe are 25ish
RET Marine 0317 --with VW on the lobe!!
Lots of iron in the fire
itawolf

Post by itawolf »

Also Mahle wheels at 13

Or even old school Fuchs esp the magnesium
The lightest wheel on a Porsche was the 5 lug Mahle gas burner and it weighed 9.9 pounds.
RET Marine 0317 --with VW on the lobe!!
Lots of iron in the fire
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

I really like my 17" TE37's and they kinda look like yours.

Here's an example of a 15" weight
http://tougefactory.com/shop/wp-content ... ight31.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 Karmann Ghia, JDM EJ205, Subarugears, OBX LSD, Blouch 16g XTR, Killer B Headers, DW 750cc, Meth Inj, Cobb AP w/Mach V 22psi Dyno tune (332whp)
Videos
Build Thread
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

Thanks for the input guy's.

I like the look (and weight) of the Touge wheels, so will look into these.
What stud pattern have you used to fit yours to your ghia?
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

Sorry, that link was a bit misleading. The wheels are made by Rays Engineering and are the Volk te37 model. Rays also makes Gram Lights 57 which look pretty good. I don't know the weight or strength differences on them but I doubt our vehicles push either of their capacity limits. I'm on the public roads more than anything else and potholes are an issue with lightweight racing wheels designed for track use. The Volk te37's hold up well from what I found during my search and that was on cars that carry another 1000lbs of weight.
I had blank disc rotors drilled to 5x100 bolt pattern to fit the very heavy Motegi mr7 wheels that came with my WRX donor car. I later found these wheels in the same bolt pattern and bought them used for $1500 with practically new tires already mounted. I think they are available in 4x100, 4x114.3 and 5x114.3 as well.
They are expensive new so you may want to visit different tuner forums classified sections. I searched Subaru forums knowing they used the same bolt pattern and back spacing.
1968 Karmann Ghia, JDM EJ205, Subarugears, OBX LSD, Blouch 16g XTR, Killer B Headers, DW 750cc, Meth Inj, Cobb AP w/Mach V 22psi Dyno tune (332whp)
Videos
Build Thread
Slamd72btl

Post by Slamd72btl »

Motegi TrakLite 17x7's weigh 14.5lbs ea, but I don't know whether they fit into what most people consider Germanlook

http://www.motegiracing.com/wheels/MR221/MR2214