QUICK TIRE AND WHEEL FIX ~

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
LIMELIGHT

Post by LIMELIGHT »

Looking at a quick way to cure my "overweight look"....I'll make it a quickie....73 Std, 3" wider rears, 2" wider fronts....15x10" with either a 2", or 3.4" offset in the rear....and 15x8" w/ 2" offest in the front....gunna work or not ? I'm looking at the cheap white wheels, that bolt directly to my car, just until I get the money for BIG brakes, tires for my 17"s, and a narrowed beam. If those wheels will work, what size tires should I run ? TIA guys.

------------------
-Lime

It ain't easy bein' green...
Superman

Post by Superman »

(don't take this wrong I'm not meaning to be rude)

I didn't really understand your "overweight look" reference so please rephrase. Is the "3 inch wider rears & 2" wider fronts" refering to the fenders? Also, about the offset, is that positive or negative? Once we figure out the wheels then we'll move on to the tires. Lastly, in my opinion, the salesman for the wheel company should be the one to answer all these questions, and if he can't then take your business elsewhere.
Derrick from NC

Post by Derrick from NC »

I would verify these recommendations with whoever your purchasing the tires from:

On 15"x8" wheels I would look at a 225/60 or 70 series which should give you about the same tire height or circumphrence of a stock 165 x 15 tire.
On 15"x10" rear wheels I would look at either a 245 or 255/60 or 70 series tire.

If your intentions are to go EuroLook I would save my money until I could get a set of 17" or 18" wheel/tires & live with the skinny tires under the fat fenders a little while longer.
LIMELIGHT

Post by LIMELIGHT »

OK, I'm guessing the offset is the number of inches from the back of the wheel (lip) to the place it mounts....not sure if that would be positive, or negative... as for the overweight look I was talking about...ever seen one of those huge women, in a tank top, and they just hang out all over the place...well...picture a VW, 3" wider rear fenders, 2" wider front fenders...and 5.5x15" wheels...165's in front, 205's in the rear....the fenders just "hang out all over the place"....they need filled out...looks WAY too wide for the tires/wheels that are on it. Knows whats I means ? I'm getting the wheels from Larrys Offroad (www.larrysoffroad.com) which is the most local VW place. The wheels are your basic sand buggy, 8 spoke, white wheels....( I plan on painting them black to go with the whole lime green, all black trim look I've already got.

------------------
-Lime

It ain't easy bein' green...
Superman

Post by Superman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Derrick from NC:
If your intentions are to go EuroLook I would save my money until I could get a set of 17" or 18" wheel/tires & live with the skinny tires under the fat fenders a little while longer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...good call, in fact for the price of all this stuff you could find some used 17" wheels. Since you have these wide fenders you want a positive offset, that will make the wheels poke out, the "deep dish" look.
Tarnx

Post by Tarnx »

I am running 6in wheels on the front and 7 in wheels on the back with 8 inch wide 50 series rain tires. They stick out about 1.5 in past the fenders. The steel wheels weigh a ton and I think they helped cause the demise of my suspension. You could use the wheels on a 3/4 ton chevy with out a problem. I think they just redrilled chevy wheels. This was before I knew about off set. Go to supermans ghia site for an explaination about off set. Don't waste you money on tempory solutions save it for the right solution. I have a basement full of tempory solutions, which if I had not bought I could afford the good stuff.