Front mounted oil cooler advice...

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
Michael Ghia

Post by Michael Ghia »

Jak, If you plan on leaving it where it is, I would look at a couple of 1/4 panel scoops (Remmelle) to supply it with air. If you want to add a fan to it, use a squirrel fan. Nothing else comes close to it for effectivness.
Good luck for the next track day.
Oh... while you're here... what rear torsion bars are you running and what is the spring rate of your front springs?
Mike Ghia

------------------
Modification is a form of Art.
jakriz

Post by jakriz »

G'day Mike, Squirell fans!!!! thats what u call them, thats what I meant by the Kombi fans!! Thanks. After all my efforts to get this cooler happening before next weekend, I buggered it all up by over tightening the inlet on the pump cover & crack the cover!!!!! My father has taken the cover to work with him so as to weld it up, drill it & tap a new thread but I've put the car back together so I'll wait until next time to get the cooler setup working. Next Saturday is my last porsche event of the year so it will give me heaps of time to do stuff to the car , rear disks are ready to go on & a k-8 is waiting to go in as well.
As for the suspension queries, I'm running type 3 wagon (variant) torsion bars with heavy duty kyb off road shocks (extremely stiff) & I'll be putting a 26mm rear sway bar on as well over the holdays. The front springs are rated at 150pounds & are once again, very stiff. Hope this helps Mike.
regards
Jak
Michael Ghia

Post by Michael Ghia »

Jak, sorry to hear about the oil pump cover. Thanks for the info on the springs.
Mike Ghia

------------------
Modification is a form of Art.
Cam

Post by Cam »

Jak, whats are the spec's on your new brake set-up?
jakriz

Post by jakriz »

Hi Cam,
The front disks are from Steve Carters car & are Powertune disks, which will be cross drilled, with type 4 calipers (huge compared to standard) with semi metallic pads which have not worn at all in 3 events, & that was to Nambucca & back as well!! The rear disks are from a Ford EB falcon station wagon which are almost a bolt on application, the disks & calipers are just gigantic & the disks are cross drilled as well. I'm going to have an internal brake bias valve adjustment so that I can adjust the brakes on the track. Should be a very sweet setup. & cheap too! I'll post pics when I put them on so that u can see what is neccessary to do.
regards
Jak
xellex

Re: Front mounted oil cooler advice...

Post by xellex »

Guys, sorry to dig this old thread up, but I keep reading how mercedes w123/126 oil coolers are used in front of t4 powered bugs, but if you do a search for that type of oil coolers, 3 models come up. I was curious which one of them was used with success:
This one would be the most obvious choice:
mb 300d 126 123.jpg
Then, this almost rectangular one. I think I saw a picture of one on a bug but not sure about that:
mb 300d 126 124.jpg
And then this one, which I just found out is 26x9x6cm and I think is too small for use, at least without the aditional stock t4 one, in it's stock place.
oilcooler7363408.jpg
Any input is more than welcome. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hho

Post by hho »

I am using the first one you pictured on my car. (1303) in the front
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Early RX7s have a big long cooler a lot like the benz style.
xellex

Post by xellex »

yes I've also heard about the Rx7 ones. I think those are the ones that fit instead of the original 914 one if I remember correctly.
This is what I'm planning on using in front of my 1303:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
I bought it from a guy that said it comes from a Lancia Delta Integrale or something...
yvre

Post by yvre »

Even the cal-look guys are doing it...

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 5#p1058935