GL Karmann Ghia

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
rodeoflip

GL Karmann Ghia

Post by rodeoflip »

Does anyone remember Jochen Greim' German Look Karmann Ghia that was featured in VolksWorld some years ago. It was a blue 72 with 17 inch wheels, 200bhp type 4 motor, cage etc. I'm after information on how he fitted his wheels and have drawn a blank searching the net. Does anyone know how I can contact him?
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

I don't rember it being a German look. It looked more like a Cal-Resto. With the BRM's navy blue paint and a 2.6 type 4 engine in it?Maybe l'm wrong.

If you find anything else about any other Ghias like that let me know

E
rodeoflip

Post by rodeoflip »

Ephry73 - Thats not the car I'm on about - that car lives literally just down the road from me... great car and flies too! Jochen' car was a lighter brighter blue (used on the mk4 golf) and had flared wings to accomodate the huge 17x8 rims and Kerscher discs.

I've got a cal import '68 ghia (no rust or dents, but sunbleached from the desert) that has been sitting around for a couple of years waiting for me to find the time and funds. I've got all the bits now for a real Bahn Stormer (except the wheels), but am interested in Jochen' car because he had 17's, an IRS setup and Kerschers, which is the same as me.

I've been researching this kind of setup for a while now and have found a few examples, but no real technicalities! I do not intend to buy the wheels until I'm 100% with my measurements as I do not want to ruin the integrity of the shell - bolt on items only!
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Ooopps. Sorry about the confusion. I would love to find out about a car like that. i have a friend that was a beat up 63 Ghia that needs a total "recovery" sesion, and we were thinking of adding flares, and all of that good stuff.

Personally. I like having a good t4 engine in the car(though I'm still trying to find out how it will run) some good forged rims(thinking of Porsche 914 2 liter wheels with 195/65's all around, and a well setup tranny and suspension. basically a "sleeper looking" Ghia all around.

If you find out more info on the car, please forward it :)

Sincerely,
Ephry
Karmann72

GL Karmann Ghia

Post by Karmann72 »

Did you guys see the ghia in the May 2003 VW Scene? It is awesome.
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

No l haven't seen it. how is it?

E
Karmann72

GL Karmann Ghia

Post by Karmann72 »

Is there any legal with scanning and putting up the picture?

E, what kind of flares were you thinking of? Have you seen the ones John Kelley is making?
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

I've seen John Kelly's flares, they're the best! No ifs or buts about it.

I was thinking of just making them myself(when l get a good welder) and basically just "arch" the rear fenders just an inch out, and weld an outer lip that extends an inch and a half out, so that I can fit a wider tire, and have the lines look right. Some guy in Germany did the "arching" thingy on his GL Ghia, and it looks good without a lip, But in my opinion an outer lip will give it a more finished look as well.

E
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Any results researching the Ghia? I think I saw the car in an ad in VW speed

E
roachghia70

Post by roachghia70 »

Ephry73 wrote:I've seen John Kelly's flares, they're the best! No ifs or buts about it.

I was thinking of just making them myself(when l get a good welder) and basically just "arch" the rear fenders just an inch out, and weld an outer lip that extends an inch and a half out, so that I can fit a wider tire, and have the lines look right. Some guy in Germany did the "arching" thingy on his GL Ghia, and it looks good without a lip, But in my opinion an outer lip will give it a more finished look as well.

E
my old bodyshop teacher showed me how to create fender flares this way. it was very similar to what you described, except he bent a 1/2 inch diameter pipe as the radius of the fender lip. he then welded the pipe to the car only at the bottoms of the wheel opening and added supports along the lip. after this, you just add sheet metal as far up the fender you want the flares to taper. it results in a flare that has a nice neat fender lip when you look underneath.
fastbackerdez

Post by fastbackerdez »

theres a ghia in the july'03 volksworld that has had golf(rabbit) arches grafted in to cover the 8x18 wheels, which i think looks pretty good. even cooler was the 964 carrera 2 electric spoiler grafted into the decklid!
CLKWRK

Post by CLKWRK »

any pics of GL ghias?

I need ideas for rear flares. I was actually thinking of getting some steel 930 flares and grafting them on my ghia. I love Kellys flares, but they are too pricey for me :o

Bry
roachghia70

Post by roachghia70 »

it doesn't have flares, but it can loosely be interpreted as german look. in my defense, i do have a 2.0 t4 in it!

i can fit 225/45/16 size rear tires under the stock body with the use of the front wheel drive wheels. the front tires are 205/45/16. these give me sufficient traction, even in the hardest turns!
Paul Illick

Post by Paul Illick »

The German plates are a nice touch, and they really do tuck up into the wheel wells, don't they? Looks good.
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Looks sweet. Wow, those are god numbers to have. No rubbing at all? what actual offset do you have on those rims? would be nice to know.

E