High Speeds

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
meanmontess

how fast?

Post by meanmontess »

I help 120 for about 3 miles in my 74 ghia. It had a 1776, with Cb 044 magnum heads, Engle110 cam, dual Weber ICT's, Electric fuel pump, etc. It ran cool in the process. Had low profile Goodyear Eagles on it not too sure of the size. I'm not sure of the gearing either...
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

120 might have been what your speedo read, but you're low profile comment sheds light on this not being your actual speed. Low profile tires decrease the overall diameter of your tire/wheel combo, so they have to spin more times to equal the ground speed of a larger diameter tire/wheel the the stock tire/speedo system is designed for. So while it may have said 120, you were probably doing more like 80-90. Even with larger than stock diameters, it's relatively difficult to get a bug going really fast with moderate performance enhancements.

Jason
JamesT

Post by JamesT »

How can anyone be afraid to hit 100 in a ghia? I hit 95 in a RAISED 72 double cab with a 2.0l type IV. Felt like it was gonna get airbourne and flip, but after I slowed down a bit and changed my pants, I realized that that truck handles pretty good at 85.
Brian Murray

Post by Brian Murray »

JamesT wrote:How can anyone be afraid to hit 100 in a ghia? I hit 95 in a RAISED 72 double cab with a 2.0l type IV. Felt like it was gonna get airbourne and flip, but after I slowed down a bit and changed my pants, I realized that that truck handles pretty good at 85.
I think he's referring to the limitations of the motor upon which to base his fears.
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

volkdent wrote:Hey Bruce2, I just noticed your from BC. The Lexus run occured on the highway to Hope past the tunnel as it parallels the Fraser near the indian reservations! Do you know where that is? Its a great place to stretch your cars legs, but keep an eye out for the RCMP.
Yikes! I couldn't imagine doing those speeds on that stretch of road. Its one lane each way. There are two sections I have measured as dead straight for at least 5 miles. I nearly bought the farm there about 17 years ago. I was in my 69 Bug, lowered, 3/4" bars front and rear, 195/50s and 60s. Handling and steering response was really good. It was night and a buddy and I were cruising about 70mph. Cars were approaching so we were on dims. They passed, and just before I went back to brights, something out of place caught my eye on the shoulder. I swerved very hard into the oncoming lane. I never saw the full size cow standing in the middle of my lane, but my buddy sure did! There were at least 15 head on the shoulder and in my lane. We both agreed someone would get killed if we didn't do anything, so I slowed and did a U-turn to herd them off the road. After a short distance, they all turned down a driveway, I followed to get them away from the road. Then returned to the highway. I was just getting going again when a lone straggler appeared on the shoulder. At the last second that stupid yearling steped right in front of my car, drawn to the headlights. Again, I was able to swerve out of the way. Another U-turn, to get that one off the road. Meanwhile other cars were still coming. I got them to slow by flashing my lights. But one guy didn't slow that much, and that stupid calf steped right in front of his car going 50mph. All I saw was a rooster tail of water from the exploding radiator. One Ford Maverick, dead. There were 4 natives in the car, returning from the canyon salmon fishing. All OK. We took one guy to his buddy's house where he could get help. Never did see the calf, but did see the red skid marks.
Moral of the story, don't overdrive your headlights at night.
Brian Murray

Post by Brian Murray »

"wow..." is all I have to say to that Bruce.
xeique

High speeds

Post by xeique »

I cruise at 80-85 everyday and hit 90 about every other day.
in my super 80-85 feels like 35ish.
I'm running a beat 1600 with a 34pict3 and have full suspension with 10inch wide scorpion zeroes in the rear and 9.5 inch p-zeroes up front
My car came with a stock rack and pinion and i have the maxx-strut setup
lowered 2" in the front with a 3/4" sway bar, and a 5\8" sway bar in the rear.
I'm using KYB shocks all the way around.[/b]
1303turbo

Post by 1303turbo »

6000rpm in 4th 71mod 1302.........cam broke in 3 parts!!!
Std 2 liter type 4 engine with BAS and dual 48 dells.....not a good combo.
calereeves

Post by calereeves »

I've been 163 mph... but that was in the Trans Am....with 462 cubes...

fastest I've ever been in the bug was about 25 mph :) Just long enough to take one trip down the driveway before I tore it apart...years ago. Now I'm getting interested again, and hopefully I'll have time one day to finish it.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

You are a good man Bruce. If someone had ignored repeated high beam flashings and wouldn't slow down with livestock on the road, I think I would have drove off...nah..
Here in Idaho, we have "open range" everywhere (except right inside Boise).
If you hit a cow, you have to pay to replace it! It is your fault! Doh! So you need to leave before the farmer wakes up!
Steve
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

My cal look car goes 104 mph through the traps at a touch under 7000. I took it up to 7500 one time on the road. No sway bar, huge rake, stock brakes, it was very unstable. I haven't driven the car for a while, it is getting an IRS pan!
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

stock tires 1303 80MPH on a 2.5 HR each way rountrip on a regular basis to go surfing to Ocean City(may Dolores rest in peace) on the Ghia with stock tires and supension have "commuted" at 90+MPH(when the 1700cc type was alive all used parts) Have driven the Ghia to the end of the numbers, felt like it was still pulling(120MPH speedo) The ghia felt much better at higher speeds.

Keep in mind, a crosswind on a beetle going past 70MPH is like asking for trouble. The Beetle is designed to "lift" with speed. Make sure the car is lowered all the way around. Move your battery to the front and make sure your suspension is up to parr, and then some. Ghias are a bit better because of the lower center of gravity and the added weight.

I'll let you know how fast l can get the Ghia with the new type 4 ;)

Ephry
Wally

Post by Wally »

There is a 'video' page at the http://www.luftboxer.com which has a video at a circuit in Austria where some of the old Kaefercup cars do 240 km/h at the straight.

Have fun,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

Steve Arndt wrote:
Here in Idaho, we have "open range" everywhere (except right inside Boise).
If you hit a cow, you have to pay to replace it! It is your fault! Doh! So you need to leave before the farmer wakes up!
Steve
Problem was those guys never saw the cow.

That's how it is in Mexico. Hit an animal, get the hell outa there fast or you have to pay the stupid farmer for not building proper fences. Many people think the reason you shouldn't drive at night in Mexico is the fear of being robbed, not true. Lots of livestock get onto the road because its warmer there. About 4 years ago I was driving from Taxco south of Mexico City towards Zihuatenejo through Guererro along a rural highway at night. I wasn't going very fast, and I saw a large animal in the oncoming lane. When I went by at maybe 30-40mph, it didn't budge. Again, someone's gonna get killed if I don't do something, so I slowed down and pulled a U turn. I slowly pulled up behind the full size horse, he was standing directly in line with the road, one rear hoof up a bit, resting it on the tip. The damn thing was sleeping! Then his head slowly swung around, and when he saw my headlights, he jumped up, all fours off the ground and bolted off the road. Scared the poop out of him almost.
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

Traffic flat-out hauls on some bits of my short journey to work every night...I was doin' ~4150rpm in 4th the other night with a 3.875/.93 combo and 165's...87.1mph (1600sp w/street header).