disc brakes on a 71 super...what kind do you have???

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
surfbug1

disc brakes on a 71 super...what kind do you have???

Post by surfbug1 »

Hey,,,,,

I am thinking about discs on my 71 sup......

I have the front end apart, and the driver side strut I cannot get out of the spindle...

so I was thinking to get disks, with new spindles, and just throw them on....I know it sounds crazy....

jc whitney has a kit, with spindles...for 250....

new stainless hoses too....

so, without the topline or the aircooled system.....

what would you recommend....

and

what do you run currently.....

thanks

big al
BAVWCJoel

Post by BAVWCJoel »

well on my '79 Type II runnin the stock discs and on my '74 bug the cb performance disc brake kit on all 4's.
72super

Post by 72super »

Whatever you do, throw away the JC Whitney catalog. ...Although they do have a ducktail thingy for the decklid thats kinda neat... Anyway, I would get the whole deal from Topline. If anything doesn't work you can call them up and they'll talk you through it.

I have disks installed by a previous owner on my super. I believe they are ghia disks, and one of them is slightly crooked. Disks are fantastic, they stop in the wet weather just great. I have stock brakes in the rear, and can slow down faster than my tires can grab as it is.

I reccomend disks. Make sure you get the bolt pattern you want now, or you'll regret it later.
surfbug1

Post by surfbug1 »

why is the bolt pattern importatnnt

I guess for specific wheels

any info on bolt patterns and what wheels are what bolt pattern...

any charts out there in internet land....
krems

Post by krems »

72super wrote:
I reccomend disks. Make sure you get the bolt pattern you want now, or you'll regret it later.
lets say i go wth the CB kit and 4 bolt pattern to match my rims. couldnt i then get blank rotors from cip?
champagne superbeetle

Post by champagne superbeetle »

TopLine is better quality for a few dollars more. I have front and rear disks by them. I would never consider anything inferior when it comes to brakes.

If I wanted to upgrade, I may consider VDubEngineering in Canada for the fronts. It is a bit pricey but I may need it once I get a Type IV.

I should mention my '71 shares daily driving with my '02 Cabrio. I suppose if I drove my '71 a few hundred miles per year, I'd consider one of the inferior brake kits.
supavert

Post by supavert »

What's up,

I am using a 944 porsche disc drakes front and back with a 944 mater cylinder.
Peace! Supavert,