rear torsion bars install

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
yllwveedub

rear torsion bars install

Post by yllwveedub »

I'm not sure where this should be posted, but I figured you guys would be able to help me out.

When I got my car the rear end was slammed real low, maybe 1/4 inch off the bump stop. I figured I would put some stiffer torsion bars in and raise it up at the same time. I unbolted the trailling arm, and loosened the plate so the swing plate deellie can slide out over the lip that is limiting downward travel. With a jack under the arm and a chain the frame I pulled the plate over that lip. It barely went anywhere (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 and inch past that lip at the outer most part). I jacked the trailling arm up so the bubmp stop was pressed against the snub (as far as it will go) and it still overlaps the spring plate. Does anyone have any clue how to get this apart any further with out taking the trailling arm completely off the car? or should I just take them off? Thanks for any help.

Josh
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

You do have to take them off of the car. What rear suspension do you have? swing or IRS?
Rob
yllwveedub

Post by yllwveedub »

oopps, forgot to mention that. it is IRS ('73 Super)
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

IRS torsions can be swapped with Porsche 924/944/968 torsions from a local junkyard. they do come in many different thicknesses, so you have a lot of choices. I run the stock bottom of the line 924 bars in my Ghia. mine are 1 or 1.5mm thicker than stock. 924standard and early 944standard bars are the same size IIRC 944 turbo bars and then 944S and 944S2 and 944 TurboS and then 968 bars vary in sizes. mine are a decent amount stiffer than stock and I love them.

Rob