20's in the rear and 18's in front

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
RedRocket

20's in the rear and 18's in front

Post by RedRocket »

So here's what I'd like to do and I'd like to know if it's either been tried or been done successfully....

4.5" wide fenders on the rear (Glass Action) to allow for 20's

3" wide up front (Glass Action) with a narrowed beam maybe 2"

By the way I have a '70 Type 1. Rubber would have to be low pro's of course... As well as adding disc brakes all around...
:D
Laz

Post by Laz »

im working on that for someone now except he is planning on 20's all around. i think he has got his sights set on a set of Foose Nitrous 20x10 for the rear and 20x8 in the front wiith 2 inch fenders. i will keep you posted on how it works out . i will not know anything until the first part of march.
RedRocket

Post by RedRocket »

Yes I would like that. This is something I was thinking of for the winter... So I'm in no rush for answers. I was thinking of 18's up front to allow for a little rake...

Thanks
airwerks

Post by airwerks »

Could keep it in stock fenders :)
RedRocket

Post by RedRocket »

If it can be done with the stock fenders that's great... But wouldn't the tires be aweful skinny? Anyway... I'm not seeing this do-able with the stock fenders... but I'm listening.....
Laz

Post by Laz »

look at the post on Porsche wheels

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=96997

most of those fronts are 7 in wide wheels. btw i may try and talk him into an 18 on the front so it doesnt look like a baja bug.
airwerks

Post by airwerks »

I got 19's in stock fenders, definitely alot of work though. Fronts tubbed and both ends are narrowed.

vujade

Post by vujade »

if you gotta go wider, use Creative Car Craft Fenders.
Much better product. then Glass Action.

then only go as wide as 3" wider then stock, but you shouldnt
need 4.5" wider then stock unless you plan on running something
wider then 10" wide for a real wheel.
Laz

Post by Laz »

well here it is. he ended up with 18x 8 on the front 20x10 in the rear. the projecy is really taking shape now. no engine or trans but the rear should sit like the front when those go in.

rae_sevilla

Post by rae_sevilla »

that's cool!I don't think bigger is better, but by the look of those project, it is sometimes better, keep us posted guy's, tnx.
volksrod73

Post by volksrod73 »

I normally don't like BIG wheels but that looks pretty good. Do you have any current pics?
Laz

Post by Laz »

no recent pics the car is currently at the stereo shop and interior shop. i should get it back in about 2 months or so. he has already bought the engine and will probably put the trans out of my car in it. after that it shouldnt be long til its rollin away from my house.when i get some more pics i will post if you guys really want to see them.
Cometat4

Post by Cometat4 »

I got 18's with 225/40 under stock fenders, its all about the off set. The rear is just barely under the fender, with a turned down one spline. The front is a 4" Narrowed beam with drop spindles and disc brakes, I used a 8mm spacer and the front wheels are tucked nicely under the fender. I don't know about your application but this is a 62 Body with stock fenders on a 69 Chassis, you can see pictures at

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=376375