911 parking brake--- Which rotors?

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.

Moderator: Piledriver

Piledriver

911 parking brake--- Which rotors?

Postby Piledriver » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:27 pm

I picked up an early 911 rear parking brake setup awhile back, I know this will bolt on and is relatively easy to mod the parking brake cables.
(911s have a tiny pair of brake shoes for the parking brake, cable operated, inside the rear rotor)

Does anyone know what rotors are required?
I have 2 sets of good std 914/4 rear rotors with no use anymore, can the ID be machined for the "drum"?

I really have no plans to go 5 lug, if all else fails I'll get some early 911 rear rotors and redrill.

(setup may end up on a T3)
From when the first hunter-gatherer started tilling a field, the reason for founding of the first human settlements, to the very foundations of modern civilization, they had a singular, driving purpose:

The efficient manufacture of beer.
DWP

Re: 911 parking brake--- Which rotors?

Postby DWP » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:28 pm

If no one here comes up with an answer try over in the germanlook forums
http://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumd ... c2f4f&f=62
DWP
As i tell my son, waste money on cars not Girls.
You can always sell the Car.
Type 4 Unleashed

Postby Type 4 Unleashed » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:53 am

I think you would need an early 911 rear solid rotor, the vented rotors I would think would be different.

And that is an idea, to machine the I.D. of the -4 rotor for the shoes, but you would need a 911 rear rotor for measurements to see if the -4 rotor is even close.

And to get the backing plates that hold the shoes to fir a 914 trailing arm, the 4 cornes of the arm has to be ground off so the backing plates will fit.
Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”
aircooledtechguy

Postby aircooledtechguy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:44 am

You will have to use 911/912 rotors as they have the correct area for the brake shoes to contact. Shaped like this: _/ There is no way you will be able to even machine a 914 rotor to do this since they are tapered from the base of the disc to the face where the wheel bolts on. Shaped like this: /
Piledriver

Postby Piledriver » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:57 pm

aircooledtechguy wrote:You will have to use 911/912 rotors as they have the correct area for the brake shoes to contact. Shaped like this: _/ There is no way you will be able to even machine a 914 rotor to do this since they are tapered from the base of the disc to the face where the wheel bolts on. Shaped like this: /

Gotcha, that confirms what I expected, but I didn't have any to compare.
Thanks!
From when the first hunter-gatherer started tilling a field, the reason for founding of the first human settlements, to the very foundations of modern civilization, they had a singular, driving purpose:

Piledriver

Postby Piledriver » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:43 pm

I ended up picking up some 996 rear rotors to match the calipers I had, turns out the later parking brake shoes are wider, but the drum ID appears identical, so the early parking brake will work fine.

The early backing plate also looks like it may work with the 996 shoes etc.

mmcgrego

Postby mmcgrego » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:44 am

Any chance of some pictures of all this going together?

Return to “The Porsche 914 Forum.”