Ghia tach, speedo options

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
superstar

Ghia tach, speedo options

Post by superstar »

What Porsche tachometers and speedometers will fit into the Ghia speedo and clock hole.
helowrench

Re: Ghia tach, speedo options

Post by helowrench »

if you have the 2 large hole dash, the 914 tach and speedo drop in
superstar

Post by superstar »

I do have the 2 large hole dash in a '64. Does the stock VW speedo drive cable work with the Porschs 914 speedo gauge? I'm assuming the Porsche gauge is cable driven.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

superstar wrote:I do have the 2 large hole dash in a '64. Does the stock VW speedo drive cable work with the Porschs 914 speedo gauge? I'm assuming the Porsche gauge is cable driven.
If I remember correctly the answer is yes.
I had a 68 ghia that the po had installed a 914 140mph speedo, which I thought was hilariously optimistic. I mean come on, maybe in a freefall, off a cliff.....

I think the speedo cable was stock ghia, but it is possible that a 914 or 924 speedo cable was used, but I am pretty sure that bug, ghia, 914 and 924 speedo cables have the same atachment.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

The Porsche 356B Super 90 tach (electrical) is a direct fit for the older Ghias, and some kit car companies sell reproductions of them.

The same is true of this VDO speedo for kit cars, fits Ghias and 356. and is cable driven.

FJC
superstar

Post by superstar »

FJC, Do you have the part number on the vdo speedo in your Mexico ghia. I am not able to find it from vdo. There is a lot of 914 gauges on ebay that go for a reasonable price. Is there a size difference between the 911 and 914 gauges? They look the same on ebay.
thanks.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Superstar,

There are no numbers, stamped, painted, or paper-tagged on the speedo. And I had it in its box -- which was VDO of Brazil, but again, with no numbers.

I was careful to check this, because I wanted another one.

I did not buy the speedo. My son bought it back in the 90's, and put it in storage.

I have checked VDO catalogs, called VDO reps, and no one knows anything about it.

By the way, the 914 2.0L tach we first had for possible use needed a rubber ring to make it fit the older Ghia/Porsche dashes.

We had to replace the 6000rpm Super 90 tach with a commercial speedshop 8000rpm tach on our '70 Ghia when we went to our 2.2l engine. The Super 90 tach, of course, went to the Mexico Ghia.

FJC
superstar

Post by superstar »

FJC,
Thanks for the info. In another thread you had a really good picture of the vdo speedo and super 90 tack in the Mexico Ghia. It seems that the Porsche speedos are 4" and the Porsche tachs are 4 1/2" in diameter. This leads to the problem that the two gauges do not match in size to the VW dash holes. I decided to try something different with my gauges. I stumbled across a guy with a cnc machine that cuts plastic for signs. He is going to cut out two new gauge faces that I will use to turn the clock into a tach and replace the speedo face. The new gauge faces will be made to match the other vdo cockpit series gauges I have. This way all the gauges will match and the speedo and tack will be the same size recessed in the dash. I will post the pictures of the gauges when they are done.
superstar

Post by superstar »

These are my custom made spedo and tack gauges. My buddy scaned the original spedo face and drew up a matching tack face. The gauge faces were made out of plastic on a CNC engraving machine. The tack started as a 924 tack mated up with the stock vw clock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sully356

Post by sully356 »

Hi, Yes I have a question if someone could help with an ansewer. I Have a 69 V.W. with a VDO Speedometer that reads faster than the car is going, I have cheked the square hole in the hub and the cable seems to be o.k.my question is how do I adjust the speedo to get the right reading. Note I have already had it calibrated, I dont know what else to do. Faced with buying another but fear I will run into same problem. HELP!
Thanks Sully
superstar

Post by superstar »

My speedo reads 20 mph as I go 35 mph and it reads 70 mph as I go 45 mph and I have no clue on how to fix it. I bring my handheld gps unit with me to track my speed.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

sully356 wrote:Hi, Yes I have a question if someone could help with an ansewer. I Have a 69 V.W. with a VDO Speedometer that reads faster than the car is going, I have cheked the square hole in the hub and the cable seems to be o.k.my question is how do I adjust the speedo to get the right reading. Note I have already had it calibrated, I dont know what else to do. Faced with buying another but fear I will run into same problem. HELP!
Thanks Sully
They ~typically read ~3-5% high from the factory (faster than the car is going---this is fully intentional, 2012 models as well, all makes )
You say you had it calibrated--- By whom? Make them do it properly.

A speedometer shop has the gear to TEST this and can fixs, but it might be less expensive to simply source another stock speedo.
Are you running stock diameter tires? The speedo shop needs this info.

All "traditional" speedometers are based on one of Nicola Teslas many discoveries/inventions, Once you understand how they work, what to adjust becomes obvious:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer#Eddy_current
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.