DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock ECU

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
Salvatori

Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC

Post by Salvatori »

Hello to all.. I have just finished a ,say partial conversion, becouse it's not installed acutaly but engine is running on the bench. I thanks to this post I've done it correctly. And sure will donate to the forum....
i
I would like to add a couple of info regarding my experience. my g2 ecu from a 93 south americam market legacy ej22 nd wiring met a 96 ej22 with a 96 cam position sensor and all other were 93 ..
All done and only a few missed fire and no spark at all afterwards.. after burning quite a lot neurons... I had and inverted ground to signal wires on he cam position sensor wires. Them the miracle came... oh and the iac wiring had I had followed the post they'd be inverted colors. Again here the iac was 96.. it appears they inverted colors after the bolted plug (96) .. so black would be white and vice-versa.. go figure. I just linked equal colors.. and also this ecu models did not match wire colors from ecu, say 50% were the same or less. But position matched. So hope this info adds ups to database..
thanks everybody and specialy to the author of the post!
I got the wire schematics.. if anyone wants it i can send them.
My very best regards,
Salvatori
TimS

Post by TimS »

Thank you, Salvatori, for the kind words and for providing input from South America. :D

Do you have an electronic version of the South American wire schematics? Maybe we could put a link to them?
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Salvatori

Post by Salvatori »

ts39136 wrote:Thank you, Salvatori, for the kind words and for providing input from South America. :D

Do you have an electronic version of the South American wire schematics? Maybe we could put a link to them?
HELLO.

I actually do have them in paper. I will have them scaned so as to upload them I send a link.

"ya´ll" have a weekend" !

Salvatori
panel

Post by panel »

ts39136 and others, if you just had the ECU and four relays only could you make your own loom from the ECU to the necessary plugs like TPS,injectors ,coils ,MAF etc?
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
TimS

Post by TimS »

panel wrote:ts39136 and others, if you just had the ECU and four relays only could you make your own loom from the ECU to the necessary plugs like TPS,injectors ,coils ,MAF etc?
The hard part would be the plugs. I'm not sure how you could go about find suitable plugs to the ECU or many of the other gadgets. But other than that HUGE hurdle, it's very possible to build a harness from scratch.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
panel

Post by panel »

Thanks. What I mean is , what if you had all the plugs for all the the items(ECU etc) that needed electrical to them but with short leads. 6"-12"lets say?
TimS

Post by TimS »

panel wrote:Thanks. What I mean is , what if you had all the plugs for all the the items(ECU etc) that needed electrical to them but with short leads. 6"-12"lets say?
Yes, many that have done the swap think it would be easier to start from scratch anyway. You'd have to find some shielded signal wire, and a diode (radio shack) but other than that, Should be no problem. Wire will get expensive, though.

While you're at it. I've thought about using a military style waterproof plug to get through the firewall without noise/air/dust leakage. Kind of like this... http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu24 ... nector.jpg
RonW

Post by RonW »

Panel,
kinda just jumping into a conversation here but if you have all the plugs for ecu and the connectors that hook to the individual senors/injectors/ignition, I dont know why you couldnt just wire that puppy up like Mario does with his MS kits. just need a wiring diagram to know which sensor goes to which pin on the ecu.

for my 2005, i had to length or shorten about every single wire that wasnt stripped from the stock harness, it was pita but doable
panel

Post by panel »

ts39136 wrote:
You'd have to find some shielded signal wire, and a diode (radio shack) but other than that, Should be no problem.
What sensors need that shielded cable?
TimS

Post by TimS »

panel wrote:
ts39136 wrote:
You'd have to find some shielded signal wire, and a diode (radio shack) but other than that, Should be no problem.
What sensors need that shielded cable?
Just off the top of my head... Air flow, Throttle position, Cam position, Crank angle, and knock sensors.
JSMskater

Post by JSMskater »

I'm thinking of shortening the wires by cutting out the excess and using male/female universal style multipin plugs to re-attach, probably somewhere convenient in the engine bay -- does the shielded wire prevent me from doing this? Am I simply not able to cut out the excess length and re-attach the wires?
TimS

Post by TimS »

JSMskater wrote:I'm thinking of shortening the wires by cutting out the excess and using male/female universal style multipin plugs to re-attach, probably somewhere convenient in the engine bay -- does the shielded wire prevent me from doing this? Am I simply not able to cut out the excess length and re-attach the wires?
You can cut and strip the shielded wire, put all connections through the plug, including the shield, then hook them back up to shielded cable on the other side.

The exposed wires act as a radio antenna and if they pick up enough amplitude can be confused for the "real" signal, so you'll want to minimize the length that is not shielded.
nilza

Post by nilza »

Quick pictures of my sump mod, 2 inch shortened
TimS

Post by TimS »

Thanks, Nilza!! Looks great!
panel

Post by panel »

nilza how tall/deep is your pan now.