DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock ECU

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
TimS

Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC

Post by TimS »

Fridge wrote:Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum and I joined becuase I recently started a conversion of a 2003 EJ25 into a 1966 Porsche 912. I am working on the wiring harness now and this thread has been very helpful so thanks for the good info. I would also be interested in where to obtain the connectors if anyone knows. I like the idea of not soldering too much. I did this on a motorcycle harness a while back and having the connectors worked out well. Oh, and yes I will be starting a build thread here as I get into it and have some picures to post of my progress.
Welcome Fridge!!

Here is a PDF of connector info, I didn't read through all of it, but it might help.... http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/60786/ ... 668812.pdf
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Yeah that's the ticket. I'll have to poke around online and see if I can find some of those pins. If not I will just cut and solder. Thanks.
56SemaRag

Post by 56SemaRag »

Fridge wrote:Yeah that's the ticket. I'll have to poke around online and see if I can find some of those pins. If not I will just cut and solder. Thanks.
Don't know exacty what connectors you are looking for but a lot of Subys use Sumimoto connectors. This place sells individual pins as well as connectors.

Eastern Beaver
56' Semaphore Ragtop Subaru (Build)
Subaru Engine & Transmission
Mendeola Suspension

69' Karmann Convertible (Build)
Suby AWD Driveline

05 Suby Baja Turbo - Stage 2+
07 Legacy Spec B - Stage 2
15 Suby Forester XT
Thesatelliteguy

Post by Thesatelliteguy »

So, i was kind of following you on the samba a while back. A friend recently told me he has a 92' Subie with a EJ22 in it. He said i could trad him work for the engine, wire harness and ECU. So im gonna have a subie motor soon. I just need to first swap in a 091 or 002. Im glad you made this write up. Thanks man!!!
TimS

Post by TimS »

Thesatelliteguy wrote:So, i was kind of following you on the samba a while back. A friend recently told me he has a 92' Subie with a EJ22 in it. He said i could trad him work for the engine, wire harness and ECU. So im gonna have a subie motor soon. I just need to first swap in a 091 or 002. Im glad you made this write up. Thanks man!!!
You found me! :shock: Welcome to this wonderful, advertisement free forum full of all sorts of well mannered, happy go lucky and super helpful VW enthusiasts. I hope you stop by the off road forum while you're here and see all the happenings there. I've been spending my time over here, too much time as a matter of fact. Feel free to ask questions, I'll help you get through it. PM if you have questions and I'd be happy to help.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Thesatelliteguy

A few questions.
People are using the subi tranny in their bug? How hard is it to do that? Cost effective? I only have a T1 trans in it right now.

Would you recommend putting the radiator in the front? Not in the back like you have it?
TimS

Post by TimS »

The Subi trans has been covered elsewhere in this section, but I can say I have a stock 002 pushing 32" MT's without trouble, and I don't baby it.

As far as the radiator, in the airstream is ideal (ie. front) but for off-road, protection may be a priority over function. My fans run a lot (more than I initially thought), but I haven't poked a stick through the radiator yet. So there are benefits either way. If I were to do it again, I think a "wing" configuration would be my ideal. If I didn't have windows, I'd probably use the driver's side backseat window.

You may think about starting up a build thread here or the off road section. Lots of helpful folks to guide you to the best solution for your particular application. Many of them know a lot more than me. Lots of variables to give blanket answers.
navarido

Post by navarido »

exuseme... before cut the wiring... this guide is valid also to 1996 ej22 engine?
TimS

Post by TimS »

navarido wrote:exuseme... before cut the wiring... this guide is valid also to 1996 ej22 engine?

No... Well, I don't know - to be more specific. I do know that the 1996 is a "one year only" engine, don't know why.
navarido

Post by navarido »

ok a don't cut anything! ehehheh
Iguana

Post by Iguana »

ts39136 wrote:Yes! What he said.

Where did you find the connectors for the plugs? I did find a "dealer kit", way back when, that had the tools and connectors for the ECU plugs but it was like $300 or so, at that time.

Thanks for the info Iguana.

Here you go, they aren't what I used before but I just ordered some and they will do the same job.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec_ ... ctors.html

Extra .090” Terminals for HM and MT connectors.

HM and MT 090 Terminals

Fits wires from .5mm - 1.25mm (22 - 16 AWG).

$1.95 for 10
Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
Iguana

Post by Iguana »

These are what is used on 50% of the loom, I say 50% as there are only two connectors but this is the most common one and the one that is used on the AFM, Engine Plugs, Ignitor etc etc

Here it is next to a factory Engine Loom Pin ( although I did roll over teh factory one with my chair. they are the same)

By getting the pins life is so much easier as you simply de-pin the plugs and cut the wires to length and then re-pin them with new terminals. This way you have no joins. If you need a longer loom many of the subaru's had looms that went right around the engine bay to get into the ECU and they make it from front to back in a VW.

Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
TimS

Post by TimS »

Awesome!! Thanks for the update. :lol:
Thesatelliteguy

I used this installation guide and my conversion using a 1990 Lagacy came out nice. Started on the first try. Thanks Tim!
I drove it for the first time today! It was pretty nice! I got some questions about running.
1. Do you know the ohm range of the stock engine temp sender? I have a VDO gauge and would prefer to not drill and tap the water manifold.

2. It's throwing code 16, fuel injector 3. I unplugged the battery overnight to try to clear the code. In the morning I connected the battery and the green test plugs and still had the code. I thought disconnecting the battery cleared the codes? If so, how did it know there was still an issue with injector 3?
TimS

Post by TimS »

Check for voltage at the injector with the engine off and key on. If I remember correctly with the factory wiring the injectors are hot and then ground through the computer. If the computer doesn't see 12v it will throw error code immediately. Because they are always hot the wires tend to corrode at the engine plug.

I'll have to get back to you on the temp sensor.

Congrats!! I'm glad you stuck to it.