Welcome to the STF! Please Introduce Yourself and Your Ride

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Metal Thumper

Re: Welcome to the STF! Please Introduce Yourself and Your R

Post by Metal Thumper »

Brand spanking new member. I have zero, zilch vw experience and little knowledge. I am a mech and elect engineer, have been around and worked on old Pontiac, Chevy, Ford, etc vehicles all my life. My "hobby" is sheet metal fab and I want to build an all aluminum Porsche 550-ish car (not necessarily a replica, as believe it or not, there are a few design/aesthetics I don't enjoy on the 550 and would like to change. Sacrilege, I know. Anyway, I am really confused regarding what motor/transaxle combination I should use given that I have a tight budget and don't feel the need to make some HP monster. I just love the design of the 550 and want something that handles and accelerates well enough to enjoy. I have read about flipping vw irs transaxles, but so many people differ in which ones flip, how to flip and what those can take (Hp-wise). So I'm looking for some guidance on this project. I have a 75 bug pan, don't know if I should use that as my base, or build a chassis. I have never built one...I feel very comfortable with sheet metal, but would be venturing into new territory building a chassis. I need some guidance! Have to get back to work now, but later I can provide budget numbers and performance goals. Thanks!
Mike
oregonhillbilly

Post by oregonhillbilly »

Hi my name is James, I have been into Vws since I was about 15 years old, first car was 64 bug, I have been wrenching on vws for close to 20 years now, I currently own a 64 rag, 67 bug, 1971 bus, I have been reading different threads on this web site for years now, I figured it was time to join, you have an amazing collection of information on this forum, I truly appreciate it, my current projects are a 67 fastback, that im in the process of doing a Subaru swap on, and a 81 caddy that my wife loves to drive around the farm
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Welcome! Pics please. Some of us can't read......

doc
The Newf

Post by The Newf »

Hi gys...& gals.
I'm an old timer that used to frequent this place in the years gone by.My old nick was "The Noof",but I can't log back in with my old info,so now I'm 'The Newf".Close enough.lol
Looking for ward to helping where I can.
P.S... I STILL have my '72 2234 turbo,bad as ever.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Welcome back to the party, I'm sure Doc could fix your old login if you'd prefer..
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

I remember you as Noof.
Some of us are stilt around......... and sadly also no closer to project finish.
The Newf

Post by The Newf »

helowrench wrote:I remember you as Noof.
Some of us are stilt around......... and sadly also no closer to project finish.
Quality work takes time,bro...lol
The Newf

Post by The Newf »

Piledriver wrote:Welcome back to the party, I'm sure Doc could fix your old login if you'd prefer..

I did p.m. the admin but didn't hear back
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

It can sometimes take a little while, this site doesn't allow ads, so not a job by any means.
Doc pays for it from his own pocket or donations.

It's a blessing and a curse, at least we don't have to play nice with marginally ethical vendors or shill post shenanigans.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
The Newf

Post by The Newf »

No biggie Pyledriver...I know who I am.lol
The Newf

Post by The Newf »

No biggie Piledriver...I know who I am.lol
Mr.Mexi.Dane

Post by Mr.Mexi.Dane »

Guess I've been busy lurking and searching and actually finding answers to my questions that I haven't made a single post yet. Haha, anyways just sold my Baja and picked up a 72 Squareback that's soon to be my daily. Here it is next to my dads 77 Westy that I'm doing some work to.

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02 ... 53c7e2.jpg[/img]
The Newf

Post by The Newf »

Almost forgot...I don't have any surviving pics,but my buddy GoneBuggy made a video for me.
hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7de4cERoZy4
Not sure about live links here,so change the xx tt.
apteddy

Post by apteddy »

Hello all,
I'm Donnie and have been a VW fan for years. My first was a 73 Bug that I crashed in 89 :cry: .
my73.jpg
My Grandpa had a blue 73 super that was passed to my Aunt when he died in 2000. She finally let me have it just this past year and I have big plans. Back when I had my first bug I wanted to do a type 4 conversion, so that's where I'm headed.
73super.jpg
I've also owned a 72 Bus, 88 Fox, and a 95 Passat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Welcome to STF! Nice starting point.

doc