'71 Super Beetle Autocross Build

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
H2OSB

Re: '71 Super Beetle Autocross Build

Post by H2OSB »

I was just rereading through the beginning of this thread and caught some good advice Marc gave you regarding the flex in the body betwixt the front and back. See if you can locate a set of the reinforcement rails that came on later Super Beetle 'verts. I could be mistaken, but I BELIEVE they would be legal in most autocross classes, and certainly the one you'll be running in as a result of your larger displacement engine. That would go a long, factory way towards reducing body flex.

H2OSB
Marc

Post by Marc »

ChadH wrote:Being that this isn't an unlimited time/budget build, I'm in just cleaning up the stock arms for now. That money would probably be more beneficial upgrading from KYB to Koni's on the rear shocks....Once I get the car complete, nothing says I can't go around and upgrade some of this other stuff after the fact...
I agree. I've never actually bent one without wheel-to-wheel - or wheel-to-wall :? contact, and the normal deflection is less than you get from the bushings. We had between 9½" and 11"-wide gummy slicks, too, but I couldn't justify the added weight.

Once one gets bent enough to raise a wrinkle it loses all integrity though. We didn't always replace them every time, I had a rig made up to allow bending them in place...but if a gusset or two wasn't added after that, it didn't take much for them to go out of alignment.

You should be fine with the stock arms, cross that bridge if/when you come to it.
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

H2OSB wrote:I was just rereading through the beginning of this thread and caught some good advice Marc gave you regarding the flex in the body betwixt the front and back. See if you can locate a set of the reinforcement rails that came on later Super Beetle 'verts. I could be mistaken, but I BELIEVE they would be legal in most autocross classes, and certainly the one you'll be running in as a result of your larger displacement engine. That would go a long, factory way towards reducing body flex.

H2OSB
Once I get all this menial scraping, sanding, and cleanup work done - a cage tying important structural points together is next. The 1"x1" box on the edges of the pan looks like I good Idea..but I'm trying to avoid a full body-off-pan project. Even though I'm so far in now, it's only a few more bolts to pull the body, I know I'll get all "anal" and spend 3-months just cleaning up the pan. I will lift the body up of the pan so I can fully weld the top joints on the cage, but will purposefully close my eyes to cosmetic issues on the pan itself :wink:

In the class I'm shooting for (XP) all this is allowable. It's almost anything goes, as long as it's still based on a factory chassis and body.
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

The convertible rails bolt on using the body pan bolts along each side, however, if you're installing a full cage, they may not make much of a difference.

H2OSB
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Suspension Downgrade

We saw this photo you obviously accidentally published of your rear suspension design.

We're planning an intervention for you. We're all friends Just put the wrench down and walk away from the toolbox.

FJC
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

Ha - I need to push the car out of the garage, and take a picture of the car with both the front and rear suspension mods in their full glory. These are a result of Beer + Welder + Scrap Iron + harbor freight. Look for these to be the latest innovations on next years F1 cars.

Last edited by ChadH on Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

As promised - the Full Monte :)

Last edited by ChadH on Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

H2OSB wrote:The convertible rails bolt on using the body pan bolts along each side, however, if you're installing a full cage, they may not make much of a difference.

H2OSB
Are those available for Ghias as well?
Might be a way for me to stiffen up the pan on the squareback.
(Ghias use sort of a T1 tunnel section with T3 pans and perimeter)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Honestly, Pile, I don't know...I've only owned supers

JohnL
Marc

Post by Marc »

H2OSB
Are those available for Ghias as well?
Might be a way for me to stiffen up the pan on the squareback...
Kinda-sorta...it's just a straight channel, embossed to make it stiffer. 141 801 131; odd number implies left-side but so far as I know it works on the right as well.

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Cool, will have to think about that.
I'd like to put a full cage in but anything really decent for stiffness is pretty incompatible with a fully usable daily.
My heater channels are showing a few pinholes anyway, this could work.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

A picture dump - mostly cleaning up rear suspension bits:

Then geeked out by laying out the suspension on the floor. 90% of it is new or cleaned up and ready to install:

Also - I've been cleaning up all the nuts/bolts and small hardware, first in a vibratory tumbler, then chasing the threads.

Last edited by ChadH on Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Very nice.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

ChadH wrote:That's exactly what I was thinking, but maybe even raise the shift box higher.

Honestly, I cant say it's my original concept. I've bee looking all over the "webs" for ideas. You picture probably is what inspired me, and I just forgot I saw it. 8)

I was digging through some photos this morning. Is this what you mean? These guys are from Austria and on STF here occasionally:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

Jadewombat wrote:
ChadH wrote:That's exactly what I was thinking, but maybe even raise the shift box higher.

Honestly, I cant say it's my original concept. I've bee looking all over the "webs" for ideas. You picture probably is what inspired me, and I just forgot I saw it. 8)

I was digging through some photos this morning. Is this what you mean? These guys are from Austria and on STF here occasionally:
I've seen the videos - that car is my inspiration (even though mine won't even be close.) I think he's running a fancy sequential gearbox. The picture is good food for though, and I'd like to set up the shifter close to the wheel as shown, but his whole setup is way beyond what I'll be able to do. 8)