late t3 gas door release cable?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
Piledriver

late t3 gas door release cable?

Post by Piledriver »

Goes anyone know if a beetle unit could be used with a handle extension?
(looks close from pictures, except the t3 has a extra bit of cable before the handle)

I don't have a full version of either type to make a comparison, so does anyone know if they can be interchanged/adapted?

I'd prefer to use something that is still available new: I'd probably adapt a solenoid flap release off something else before I'd buy a used mystery condition t3 cable.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Marc

Re: late t3 gas door release cable?

Post by Marc »

The Type III part's been obsolete since 1991, FWIW the P/N is 311 821 241...thought I'd found you one at ISPWest for the low, low price of $50, but it's a used one.

I seem to remember someone detailing how they'd cobbled up a solution a few years back but I can't find the thread.
There are four different Type I parts, I think one from a 1302 Super would be the longest - but they're not exactly cheap (~$45) so it'd be nice to know for sure if it can be made to work before springing for a new one. 113 809 939: https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/img/wwpn/113809939.jpg

Can't say that I'm a fan of needing the battery to be charged enough to operate a solenoid in order to get to the gas cap. My son's first Volvo came with that "feature" and thinking worst-case-scenario I commented that it'd be a b*tch to walk for miles to get a can of gas only to come back to your car and find that the hazard flashers had run the battery too low to pop the flap...just didn't seem to be the sort of design thought one would expect from people who live in a near-arctic climate.

He said "so what? Won't do any good to add gas if the starter won't work anyway"
I said "what if I'd had the foresight/fortune to park on a hill, or if by luck someone comes along to help me push-start it?"
He said "well, even if there's enough juice left in the battery for the ignition it won't be adequate for the F.I. - and if someone comes along you could get a jump from them to open the gas door."

It was at this point that I wished I'd just kept my thoughts to myself.

But I'd still just rig a strong magnet to hold the flap shut - only I would know it could be opened using a pocket comb, credit card, etc.

The real reason I responded was to ask if this might be something you could make work:
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Running a magnet now and no spring, gravity actually works on a t3 door for the most part due to its orientation.
I guess I just want to return it to factory functionality, possibly with better parts.

A few vehicles also have "hidden" cable pulls in event of std cable or solenoid issues, for trunk/gas cap and hood
(tied off under bumper, in trunk etc) if I went with a solenoid I'd have to do that as well.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Have you seen my how to rebuild type 3 and 4 gas flap cable assembly pictorial in the 411/412 forum on the Samba? I can do one in about two hours if the lever is not broken. Looks and works just like factory...so dont lose your cable assembly because its not working.

The late type 3 and all type 4 use the same exact cable assembly except the type 4 cable is longer. All lther parts are the same. I will try to link to it later http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=656055

Ray
Marc

Post by Marc »

raygreenwood wrote:Have you seen my how to rebuild type 3 and 4 gas flap cable assembly pictorial in the 411/412 forum on the Samba? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=656055
Marc wrote: I seem to remember someone detailing how they'd cobbled up a solution a few years back but I can't find the thread...
...That's the one, thanks Ray
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Beautiful procedure!
Thank you.

On mine the lever end box was totally MIA so I'll have to find something to work with.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

As you can tell from my intro rant.....these assemblies are some of the items I am trying to get type 4 owners to pay attention to. Far too many people just buying these cars and doing just enough to get tjem driving so they can make it to a few VW shows......and not paying attention to the condition of small but critical parts that range from very hard to get even used.....to purely unobtanium.
Many type 3 owners have the same issue.

Piledriver....if the leverbox is missing....short of casting in zinc (weak but doable).....thats a KO punch. Have to have something to rebuild to rebuild. This is one of those items that is worth collecting from the junkyard even if they are broken in one manner or another.

If I make it a project.....I can even fabricate a new lever when one is snapped off.....as long as the pivot assembly is still there.
It basically ends up being a "jewelery making" project....sitting down with the small vise.....starting with a piece of 3/8" rod stock.....dremel tool, needle files and sandpaper.....and 30-40 test fittings.

In all theory I could do the same with the lever box......but damn....thats a lot of work and time.

Its sad when "new"....and hate to say this ....."casual" .....owners of type 3 or 4 cars...pop into the forums asking "which vendor sells new gas flap cable assemblies?".....and are just floored to find out that they bought a 40 year old car..... that they cannot buy unique sub-assemblies for! Most are too lazy, have no skills and/or are too cheap to buy the tools and learn new skills.

It was several of these requests concerning this very part....that prompted the rebuild pictorial. And....all but one...sadly ....did not want to do this simple refurb even with the pictorial....they just wanted to buy kne from me alteary done. Ray
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

At least new t1 assemblies exist: grafting in a longer cable following your procedure should be easy, if one had the dimensions for the cable/jacket etc.
I'll see what I can dig up.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Piledriver wrote:At least new t1 assemblies exist: grafting in a longer cable following your procedure should be easy, if one had the dimensions for the cable/jacket etc.
I'll see what I can dig up.
I "think" I have a type 3 cable you are welcome to. I have four complete type 4 cable assemblies. Oh...speaking of....I also finally dug out my spare type 3 differential...which is also yours. I may actually try to be in Dallas at end of February. It could save shipping on that lump. Ray
Marc

Post by Marc »

Ray, is that 911 cable at Amazon something that would be of use for this project?
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Marc....nope but thanks for asking. The cable new or old is usually not the issue with these. Its the door end hardware. It wish I could find other cars that used similar. Ray
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Ray, you are a gentleman and a scholar, looking forward to meeting you again!

I'm still looking for an automatic....
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Piledriver wrote:Ray, you are a gentleman and a scholar, looking forward to meeting you again!

I'm still looking for an automatic....
When I get to OKC I will check some of my old resources there. There may be some autos still laying around. Ray
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

One out of a T4 would work as well, has the right CV flanges.
The vanagon axles I'm running for the 944T rear arms make adapting an auto more interesting.