SOLD - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
panel

Re: NEW plan - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

Post by panel »

What BOV are you using and what routing is it now? Just curious why you want it to recirculate ?
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

petew wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:36 pm A few answers...

1. The AFRs are 9. Ie. pig rich. You can see it on attachment log I posted. My injectors are 208cc. Obviously, it's way down on power because its too rich. The autotune was trying to pull fuel out.
2. I don't have the fuel pressure logged and I have a rising rate regulator.
3. I'm just looking for a ballpark advance figure to start with.
At 200 kpa you can probably be around 24-25 degrees advance depending on your IAT's.

That's what I am running right now...or did this past summer.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

At 200 kpa you can probably be around 24-25 degrees advance depending on your IAT's.

Just remember, there is no methanol being sprayed into Pete's engine.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:44 pm
At 170 kpa you can probably be around 24-25 degrees advance depending on your IAT's.

Just remember, there is no methanol being sprayed into Pete's engine.
(I edited the kpa on my above post.)

That's why it's all about the IAT's......

If his intercooler is working properly and he logs his IAT's, Pete should be able to work somewhere in that area but only up to 200 kpa.....maybe I need to convert what 200 kpa is.....I meant 10 lbs boost and now that I think about it he might be only good to around 160 kpa........I'll have to check a minute..........sorry it would be 170 kpa and then ramp down from there.
I have IAT's of around 135 degrees at 21 lbs and it will go up or down a bit from there depending on my ambient intake temps.
Intake temps of 60 degrees is a lot different than intake temps of 80 degrees before the turbo.

With Pete working with ambient temps of 100-105 degrees and the heat rise of approx 20 degrees going through the turbo if it is anything like mine he should be seeing cruise temps of 125 degrees unless the intercooler is working for him at that temperature. That does not give much overhead for temp rise on boost unless the intercooler is efficient enough to lower temps at cruise too.

So looking at it that way Pete needs to be careful with it........As He should know......He is the engineer..... :shock: :P
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
petew

Post by petew »

Had a monster weekend, so not much progress aside of this...

It's the 15" (wideload) seat. It's a bit wider than I expected, but I can pack it up with plenty of padding in the sides. Should look period when done. :)

Tuning wise, I'm going to check the fuel pressure and look into raising it and retuning everything. Seems like the best way forward.

BTW, came across this...

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney- ... 1140245604

#nailedit :shock:
petew

Post by petew »

Ok, so just realized raising the fuel pressure is not the solution. Phew, saved myself a world of retuning everything!
panel wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:23 pm What BOV are you using and what routing is it now? Just curious why you want it to recirculate ?
I'm using a chinese BOV. I don't want to recirculate, but legally I have to do that to get the car properly certified by the local authorities.

petew

Post by petew »

So in my usual awesome style, I neglected to rejig the advance table for 6000rpm. Done that now and upped the timing at 200kpa to 19deg.

Happy for any other thoughts or observations you might have. :)
madmike

Post by madmike »

Maybe re-move Blow-off valve, then re-place 'after' inspection :oops: :lol:
petew

Post by petew »

Yeah, I had compressor surge the other day woth 13psi, so I need the blowoff on there. I've a plan on how to recirculate it. Should be fairly straight forward, just got to get a few fittings.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Can't you just put a filter on it like mine???
petew

Post by petew »

No, the engineering inspector specifically said, "it can't vent to the atmosphere". :(

Coz haven't already got enough pipes running around a tiny engine bay... I swear, the next thing I build will be an F-series truck. Then I can SIT in the engine bay. ;)
petew

Post by petew »

I had to go and pick up my daughter from school this evening, so I took the bug out for an autotune at the same time. I didn't give it a really hard time, but I did manage to do a few decent pulls and build some boost.

As you can see, I'm trying to keep it lowish until I can deal with the lower boost levels.On the way home we got to do some proper pulls in 2nd and 3rd (man it gets to 40mph quick). The highest I got today was 10psi, which is good. I was concerned some of the old boost leak I had was my cheap BOV, but that's not the case. So on the way home autotune was able to log up to 175kpa and you can see the results...

You can clearly see where the motor is building boost by the hole in the graph starting 3300rpm/150kpa. Autotune has started pulling fuel out to the tune of 10 points in some spots. It was noticably better after this and AFRs are still around 10, so it can only get better. I just want to make sure the oil leaks are sorted in the turbo before pushing too much further. Again, this was below 4000rpm. :lol:

And I haven't even started winding in more spark! :shock:
madmike

Post by madmike »

8)
Last edited by madmike on Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Good job Pete, but ,,,,, 0-40mph :roll: :wink: you should feel a 1915 ,,, more like 0-80 :lol: way quicker then my old Chevy with a 396ci :shock:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

You are still running 10.0:1 afr at 10 lbs. boost so you can probably pull more fuel.
It seems your IAT's are holding pretty good at a max of 125*F which is not too bad considering your lows are at 103*F which I assume would be at cruise or ambient. Looks like you had an IAT temp of about 116*F on that pull which is very nice.

I would leave the advance where you are at if you are still using the table in an earlier post. Once you get your afr's in line you can then listen for detonation and start tuning the advance.

What you could do is manually lower some of the numbers out of the tuned area to reflect what is changed and just get them a little closer to the tuned section. You are basically just smoothing the map a little. Check your Lambda delay and make sure you have that adjusted.
If you are really brave you can cut some fuel in the boosted area of the tuned section to help the autotune along.
Take a couple numbers out of it and do another run watching the afr.
Take your daughter along as a second pair of eyes and tell her to watch the afr's. She can be your tuner.
I bet she would pick up on it fairly fast if you explain what she needs to look for........