SOLD - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
petew

Re: NEW plan - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

Post by petew »

Funny you should say that, because she was manning (or should be girling) the keyboard yesterday. She's pretty quick. In terms of pulling numbers out, how many would you start with? Say 1-2 or 3-5?

BTW, just wondering about getting the motor to warm up a little quicker. Took 15min to get up to operating temp yesterday.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

petew wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:09 pm Funny you should say that, because she was manning (or should be girling) the keyboard yesterday. She's pretty quick. In terms of pulling numbers out, how many would you start with? Say 1-2 or 3-5?

BTW, just wondering about getting the motor to warm up a little quicker. Took 15min to get up to operating temp yesterday.
It all just a little math by figuring out how rich from 12.0-12.5:1 you are......10/12=.83333. So take one of the numbers and multiply by .83 or for safety go .80 or less.
This would only be in the map area that has been worked on by Autotune.

As for the other numbers just blend them up a ways staging them like the lower ones.
Or just take them down a couple and do another run.

If you follow your log through each map point your can see what they afr is and adjust accordingly. Just remember that if your Lambda delay isn't close there might be lag in the boxes.

I myself just help it along by highlighting a block of numbers and use the multiple tab above and times it by what I want which in this case is .83.
There are lots of tuning shortcuts but it takes a bit to learn them.

You can also change the adjustment rate in Autotune by changing from normal or hard to easy or whatever you have it set to.

Oil can take a long time to warm up if you are going by CLT and that is what it is reading. I use the CLT which is on the head and it reacts faster.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
petew

Post by petew »

I've got a head temp sensor from Mario. Works a treat. My oil temp sensor isn't working I think. Gotta check that.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Clonebug wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:41 pm
petew wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:09 pm Funny you should say that, because she was manning (or should be girling) the keyboard yesterday. She's pretty quick. In terms of pulling numbers out, how many would you start with? Say 1-2 or 3-5?

It all just a little math by figuring out how rich from 12.0-12.5:1 you are......10/12=.83333. So take one of the numbers and multiply by .83 or for safety go .80 or less.
If you want to be safe, go more than .833, don't go less. Erring on the smaller side will mean you input a smaller number, thus make it leaner.
petew

Post by petew »

Ok, so I'll try for 0.85 for now.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

petew wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:13 pm Ok, so I'll try for 0.85 for now.
Did you set up your "Target AFR's" on the advanced tab in Autotune???
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
petew

Post by petew »

No, I didn't. Will have to look that up. :)

Edit; It's setup for "Edit/view - AFR table 1"
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Click on the edit/review tab and it will open up a table that you can fill in your kpa and rpm bins.

Fill those in like your Fuel table and then start picking AFR's for all the lines.

Set your cruise area for something like 14.1:1
Set your boost areas for 12.0:1
I have my idle bins set at 12.8:1 cuz that's where my engine likes to idle at.
I found that my engine wants a little richness right above idle when the load goes up so I have the area right above idle at 12-13.0:1. It acts a little like accel enrichment.
You cam set your decel bins a little leaner if you want or else turn on decel fuel cut.

Just do a "Save As" and name the file something so if you screw something up and it runs like crap you have a backup to go to.
It's not as sensitive as you think and as long as your boost is rich you will be ok. Otherwise turn the boost down a bit and work up slowly.
You don't want to be pounding the boost to it when your aren't even close to a tune.

Just make sure to listen for detonation and log any run where you are changing stuff so you can see the changes and learn from it.

Side note.....Chip was right....I was backwards on those numbers so go up if you want to take out less fuel.

Just remember....Save As......Save As.......Save As........

Here is mine.. use it as an example not as your own.......

petew

Post by petew »

Cheers, I've adjusted the AFRs and saved the old ones. I don't know if my table was entirely different, but I've up the numbers a little.

Started mocking up the racing bucket today...

The idea is to have to able to slip in and out of the car on the stock runners.
petew

Post by petew »

Went off to the rubber shop to try and find some padding for the new seat. When I got there, they wanted to charge me, wait for it... $150/square metre. Yeahnah.

So two of these will do the trick once I cut it to fit...

http://www.kmart.com.au/product/red-fitness-mat/691327

$20 for the 2. :wink:

Tonight I went out for a drive and a tune. I logged the warm up and then once warmed up did a few power runs. This time the car outdid itself again. 14.3psi at just over 4000rpm.

The autotune again ripped a whole stack of fuel out of the graph, but we were still left with an AFR of 10.

It's a lot better than I thought. I now understand how some of you are making 20psi at just 5500rpm or there abouts.

I do have some things to fix before I go out again...
1. Every time I give the car a boot full I can smell fuel just afterwards. So it's time to fix that and try to avoid a fireball. :(
2. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the car is actually making too much boost. Above 14psi and the turbo gets pretty inefficient and pretty hot. I need a bleed valve... or a bigger turbo. :lol:
3. The fan is squeaking. Needs looking into.
4. On the way home I gave the car a boot full and it hesistated on boost. I assume this is a bit of detonation. I need to know why this is has happened. Unfortunately I wasn't logging at the time. Time to check the turbo seals again. :roll:

Overall, I'm feeling very encouraged. This the best the car has ever run. :)
66brm

Post by 66brm »

4 could be a misfire under boost, it may pay to pull a plug and do a bit of old fashioned tuning, I see you hit 125% duty too
1 is probably fuel sloshing around with the stock vented cap, my 66 does the same reminds me I need to change that out to something that seals better, with out a factory breather port off the filler neck our ovals must run some sort of vent to atmosphere and it's in the cap which is the same airspace as the passenger compartment
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Where is your boost control??
Certainly you have a wastegate with spring or something......?
Your hesitation could be over boost protection which is set in TS.

Small steps grasshopper..........
petew

Post by petew »

The hesistation was around about 8-10psi, ie. not right at the top of boost. It could be ignition. I'll have to check it.

I'm still using the stock gate spring. However, I did tension it a little when I clocked it into the right position. The other thing being, yet again the car is boosting beyond the table. So I need another rejig there.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Detonation is not a hesitation...
It sounds like a rattle in my buggy.......
Other than the rattle your next warning will be smoke or a oil puddle....
petew

Post by petew »

One of the issues with a sedan + trans strap + not much exhaust = can't hear detonation. The reason I knew the car was detonating a little last time was hesitation on long full throttle pulls. I could feel it surging and hesitating. Similar now. I can hear the turbo spooling up and the exhaust, but I can't hear anything else really. It could be ign related, it could be fuel related or it could be oil in the charge again.