Tim's Green Bug...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
TimS

Re: Tim's Green Bug...

Post by TimS »

IMG_20170803_211000733-800x450.jpg
Yesterday I spent measuring, parts gathering, researching, calling, etc. My options were, send for rebuild at $95 per shock, replace what I have for $145 per shock, upgrade to 12" long body with reservoir for $190 per shock and I would have e to clearance the shock mount for the reserviur tube. Next option was to use a 12" short body shock with reserviur for the same $190 per shock but build new shock mounts. Or, the preferred option below...

After much deliberation and experimentation, I have a plan for dampening the rear end. I will rebuild the 7100 shocks, but remove the ifp from the shock body. Instead of the scrader valve I will install a hydraulic elbow fitting. This will allow me to put the fox reservoir hose into the bilstein fitting. Should work great.

Now for the dampening part. I suspect that my rebound dampening is weak from low oil/air in shock. So, I will stick with the 3600 units of rebound dampening force. There is a custom valve stack that offers 4000 units of dampening force, but I will reserve that option for if I need it.

Elko Ed has shared a few options for dampening oil. I hope to experiment with a few oil options for better consistentcy and less fade, but I hope to maintain cold shock comfort as much as I can for the street.

I have installed a pair of the fox shocks from the race car onto the bug while I'm building the frankenshocks. This will at least allow me to escape the city when needed, but the heims are very worn and clunk like mad, so I will consider the bug a last resort vehicle option at this point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

LOL have fun Tim :lol:

Ed
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

#cocoanutoil

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
TimS

Post by TimS »

bajaherbie wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:24 am #cocoanutoil

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
There are a few folks out there that swear by the edible options.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
TimS

Post by TimS »

The is BAD, mmmmKAY!!

https://youtu.be/80S9UFlneIw

Do Do di do... nothing to see here. I should have looked at my shocks a little more often than once every five years. Im looking forward to expanding my knowledge on this fluid filled stick thingy.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming.
TimS

Post by TimS »

What I'm finding in the oils is there is a parabolic drop in viscosity as you rise above 40 degrees Celsius. I don't think cold weather performance will mix well with what I want to accomplish off road. Oh well, off road wins hands down, so it looks like I will have to suffer when they are cold... Or I could go back to my original hair brained idea of shielding the shocks with a copper tube. The copper tube would be a jacket for the heater fluid to pass into the dust free zone. And it would travel out the other side. If I could keep the shocks between 185 and 225 degrees consistently, I could tune a LOT easier for a daily driver and a prerunner.

I found the key to the puzzle!
IMG_20170804_125506094-450x800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

If you use cocoanutoil it would be best to put the lime in it, that may make it work in any temp. :mrgreen:

I think you will like it better with dampening than with out :D

Ed
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

Ferrofluid :mrgreen:
TimS

Post by TimS »

takotruckin wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:05 pm Ferrofluid :mrgreen:
That was a fun night. Warm, dry and full of stars.

Or maybe it was soaked, snowing, and full of whiskey.

Either way, a good night.
TimS

Post by TimS »

After sourcing the snake oil from a Rattlesnake's head on the North rim of the grand canyon, I combined it with the ferrofluid found next to the crystal clear waters in the mountains of Central Idaho... And viola!!
IMG_20170805_152437341-800x450.jpg
They are charged to 150psi for testing because i didn't want to get the high pressure regulator out just yet. I have not sealed the dust boot either.
IMG_20170805_155907794-450x800.jpg
The smoke in the sky was getting g thick so I was able to go for a spirited jaunt through the back trails and mountanous pavement while performing reconnaissance for the fire front.
IMG_20170805_160018925-800x450.jpg
I got stuck behind this UTV for MILES. This was after I had quite a bit of fun, so I was enjoying riding on their bumper until we hit a cattle guard. Clank, Clank goes the cattle guard. Then again, Clank Clank. I figured I was busted but the two young females just looked at each other quizzically, giggled, and kept driving, if you want to call it that.
IMG_20170805_163838356-800x450.jpg
The shock rebuild helped a ton!! I didn't change a thing as far as seals and o-rings, just a good inspection and cleaning... And a reservoir to double the oil volume... And just under a quart of the magical grand-canyon rattlesnake oil.

I am just a few steps away from Nirvana. I need to shim out the left front to give it some more negative camber. I'm hoping to match the right front to balance the car on the inner edges of the tires (theoretically), then my end goal will be to get to 0 to, or even 1/8 toe out while retaining the steering response. I think this will be a good recipe for adventure driving.

As far as the back end. Now that I'm damped, and can turn, and stop, and all those goodly things...:facepalm:... Now that I'm damped rear end feels like it's on rails on the gravel. I can still push it around when I want, but much more stable. I might keep it this way for a while and see how I like it. Unfortunately I think my ideal is still more neutral or even cutting my toe-in in half would be okay and better for long term tire wear.

After this, it will just be maitenance items. I will have the basic feel I want. And the added durability I needed. I have brake lines and shoes. I have four tubes of Desert Gold, too.

The front shocks will get similar treatment, but no reservoirs yet. Maybe. I would need to buy some new reservoir caps to accomplish that with parts on hand. The front shocks are also leaking more so I may need seals. I think it would be better to have the seals on hand before taking the bug out of service.

That is all for now. Gotta do family stuff tonight.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Thanks to Elko Ed for inspiring me to venture deep into the pseudoscience of shocks. I can now see where a person can amass such a grand collection of shock parts over years of fine tuning.

Now that I have unlocked the Shock Tuner upgrade in the game of Life, the next time I design shock mounts I will make them easier to install and remove.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Your welcome Tim and I am glad you took the plunge :D Now you just have more things to think about :mrgreen:

Ed
TimS

Post by TimS »

Car handles great now! One more shim adjustment on the right front and I will have the setup almost perfect.
IMG_20170806_112319765_HDR-800x450.jpg
1966bajabug

Post by 1966bajabug »

I may have an extra one of those somewhere...
TimS

Post by TimS »

I went to the tint shop, but the owner was sick. I have a rear window and two side windows. I also have seals coming FedEx. I hope to get the three windows tinted ghetto black. At the very least the rear. Not sure if he will install the windows or me. Depends on price and timeline. I would rather have him do it, but am prepared to tackle it of needed.

Still trying to figure out what to do with my antenna. Super glue and a Jack-in-the-box-antenna topper come to mind.