2270 Build. wrong combo for bus?

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
r33ce97

2270 Build. wrong combo for bus?

Post by r33ce97 »

Hi all, ive been reading on here for about a year as I slowly build my 2270. Plan was for my 66 bug once its out of body work but that's taking a long time. And I have a 78 camper that could use a fresh engine with a little more power. It has a stock 2.0 hydraulic engine with weber 40's. runs decent, just not enough pep. Now I'm considering putting the nearly complete 2270 in the bus but I'm afraid the combo is horribly wrong for a heavy camper. I could use some more opinions.

Here's the build
78 stroke AA crank
96mm AA stroker pistons
AA 2.0 journal h-beam rods. I believe stock length, cant remember off hand.
DRD L6 HEADS
WEBCAM 86B/86C
WEBCAM LIFTERS
911 SWIVEL FEET
T4STORE STEEL CUT TO LENGTH PUSHRODS.
9.1 compression

I know 96's aren't ideal for a bus but I don't mind redoing the pistons ad cylinders eventually. My main concerns are the heads and cam. The heads are 44x38 ported, polished, dual springs, multi angle valve job,HD guides and SS valves. I'm not sure if the heads are too big. Same for the cam, too big?
Also the engine will be carbureted. I have a set a weber 40's but I'm thinking those will be too small for the heads and cam.
wreck

Re: 2270 Build. wrong combo for bus?

Post by wreck »

the heads will be fine , the cam would mean you would always be having to rev it , not a bad thing as it keeps the fan speed up but it really depends on your driving style . Personally I'd just change the cam to one where the power comes in lower in the rev range .
No matter where you go , there you are !
_thesatanicmechanic

Post by _thesatanicmechanic »

put a little more conservative cam in it, shim the cylinders out a tad to reduce the CR and rock it.

post results or explosion pics here please.
_thesatanicmechanic

Post by _thesatanicmechanic »

My reply was pretty flip and I apologize for that.

I don't want you to burn your stuff up. Have you done any basic assembly to determine deck height?

What CC combustion chamber?

40s are too little for a 2270, indeed.

What ignition?

That is a very aggressive cam, wants CR and duration. Stroker suits it nicely. Gets dynamic CR back in realm of pump gas.

You could put something like that together with conservative total ignition timing and make it last a long time. Don't lug it around though.