Bov or Recirculation valve better for ACVW

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
theKbStockpiler

Bov or Recirculation valve better for ACVW

Post by theKbStockpiler »

I'm thinking that a re-circulation valve would be better for a acvw because of less hardware in a harsh environment but a re-circulation valve might have to be serviced someday and has to fit under the apron in a hidden set up.
What's your experience with this scenario? :D
Super beetle with attitude
Dan Dryden

Re: Bov or Recirculation valve better for ACVW

Post by Dan Dryden »

I’m getting the impression that you may be getting confused between a wastegate and BOV / recirc valve.

Neither a BOV or recirc valve will need to be fitted under the apron. Their purpose is to divert boost pressure when the throttle plate closes.
A BOV sends the boost to atmosphere and will let off a chish sound.
A recirc valve will be more silent because it diverts the boost back into the turbo inlet.
Neither is more suited to an acvw. They both do the same job just as well as each other.
It all comes down to personal preference.
theKbStockpiler

If the recirculating valve is integrated with the turbo housing ,hoses or pipes don't have to be routed. I want to 'hide' the turbo like the CB system does so the turbo with the integrated recirculating valve would be under the apron. I'm just wondering if some one had a integrated recirculating valve and thought it was a mistake or was difficult in some way.
bug66

Post by bug66 »

Sure you are not thinking of a wastegate?

Wastegate = exhaust
BOV/resvalve = intake
---

2165cc on a Borg Warner S257 SXE, DTA S60 on E85.

Boost was created only to make people smile, and make power! 8)

10.626 @ 132mph SCC2016
10.407 @ 134mph SCC2017
10.221 @ 135mph SCC2018
petew

Post by petew »

What you mean is "wastegate". Ie. internal, as per most factory OEM turbos VS external, aftermarket racing applications.

Internal is easier to plumb for sure. And for most of our street setups it is more than enough. However, once you start to build high boost pressures or involve more exhaust flow, the external gates are more reliable and more robust. As far as location goes. Unless you're driving through deep mud or salty snowy roads, I don't think it will make a lot of difference. The big issue is keeping a hot wastegate away from heat sensitive things. In any case, all ACVW motor pump the air down and under the car, which would help cool the gate to a certain extent (if it's under the car).
theKbStockpiler

Here is an image of what I'm referring too.
https://sep.yimg.com/ay/supra/borg-warn ... rbo-30.gif
petew

Post by petew »

Right! I totally know what you mean now. Sorry for dragging you off in the wrong direction. :D

To be honest, for what most of us are doing, that setup is very rare and probably comes on an expensive turbo... like the turbo you listed on a time attack car. They're usually money no object.

[BBvideo=560,315] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9FGY0-ZCeo[/BBvideo]

Most of use cheap BOVs off ebay or similar.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

theKbStockpiler wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:47 pm Here is an image of what I'm referring too.
Get a turbo from a Volvo....usually a TD04HL......they have the integrated system on their turbos.......you can't reclock the turbo though.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
TJ530

Post by TJ530 »

Some newer cars have it integrated however it might make the manifold difficult to produce as it requires custom flanges in kinda odd shapes. For instance the K03 twin scroll on the modern mini coopers has a half circle shaped port. If price is no object a BW EFR Turbo has that technology. For most of what we do it’s cheaper and easier to buy a used SAAB BOV.
theKbStockpiler

Clonebug wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:34 pm
theKbStockpiler wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:47 pm Here is an image of what I'm referring too.
Get a turbo from a Volvo....usually a TD04HL......they have the integrated system on their turbos.......you can't reclock the turbo though.

So there isn't even a snap ring type of connection to the center section or do you mean that the waste gate linkage won't line up? :?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Wastegate linkage won't line up
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Borg Warner has a turbo with all that on there and has adjustable housing too........I'll bet the price reflects it though.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

It’s the Borg Warner EFR series of turbos. Very high spec turbos and cost around £1700 British pound notes to buy.
Don’t know if any less expensive to buy in the USA, but at the current exchange rate you’d be looking at nearly $2000 USD.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Kind of senseless for me since I never pay more than $60.00 for a turbo....... :roll: :wink:
petew

Post by petew »

Clonebug wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:46 pm Kind of senseless for me since I never pay more than $60.00 for a turbo....... :roll: :wink:
BAHAHA!