My draw through turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Chip Birks

Re: My draw through turbo

Post by Chip Birks »

That 11.7:1 was probably perfect. If its still knocking there, drop your timing a bit. Otherwise you are just drowning the poor thing.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

There’s no more detonation at 10 psi but the local garage said that 11.7 was lean of 10 psi boost and should aim for 10.5 to 10.9:1
But once again something else is going wrong. I’ve noticed that every now and then the ignition will just total turn of for a split second so turned on my laptop to see if anything is happening and there is. All is good then the voltage monitor there is a spike of 92.6V then the ignition system crashes for a few seconds and comes straight back on with these readings in the photo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Listen to Chip, makes no sense to be that rich. I have only been running about 9lbs of boost but 12.1 is as rich as I have ever seen on my motor. Hope you figure out your ignition issue, possible ground problem?
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah old Veedubs are notorious for electrical gremlins. In fact in mine tonight I started it and my right front turn signal and my left rear tail was out. It hit the rear fender and the tail light came on and I just unscrewed the head light and as I was pulling it off and the turn signal started working. I have some work to do too!
Also I wouldn't say 11.7 is lean persay, but if your getting detonation, you have 3 choices: more fuel, less timing, or less boost. If your set on running 10 psi, and its ok at 11.7, I'd run it. If your loading up when off boost your going to have to come down on the mains and run more enrichment under boost. I don't know how those carbs enrich, but that's what it would need. Preferably something that enriches with boost. On my Holley I boost referenced the power valve to achieve that.
petew

Post by petew »

I would have thought 11:7 is pretty well bang on for 10psi of boost. I've got my ECU set for 12.3 for 6psi and 11.5 for 14psi. 10 is really too rich, even for boost from what I understand. Most WBs start to get inaccurate around the 10 mark.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Mine only goes down to 10.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Ok reset the jets and carbs so I’m now back to the 11.7:1 at 10 psi boost.
I’m still having a issue with the charging system. I can now get a steady 13.8v from 1000-5000rpm with no electrical load on and that figure drops to 13.4v when all electrical load is turned on but even at these figures my stock generator warning light on the dash is still glowing BUT it glows brighter the more the rpm’s increase. I must say it is only a slight glow it’s not fully on
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Might be a voltage regulator issue
66brm

Post by 66brm »

If you are still running a generator then check your brushes and regulator, the system is not fully charging
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I’m running a alternator and have now ordered a new brush pack/ regulator for it.
I’m also about to reject the carb again and step down the 152 mains to a pair of 140’s and drop the pump jet sizes from a 70 to a pair of 50’s. The main reason for this is that I’m only getting 15 miles tops to the gallon 😡
The idles I’m going to leave alone for now witch are a pair of .50’s
buguy

Post by buguy »

I have the same issue but mine gets dimmer as the rpms increase.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Your going to rejet for fuel mileage?!?! I don't think it works that way! I would get it where its running well and your AFR is correct..... Then just don't get into it! A light foot will help alot!
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Ha ha ha I know it doesn’t work that way 😁
I went back to the 152 mains but she was still running rich at 11.2:1 and I’ve had to drop to the 140’s to get her back to a good A/F ratio of 11.9:1. I have no idea why the A/F ratio never went back to the 11.7:1 it was the last time I was using the 152 mains?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Plus I’m of to the spa race track in Belgium and that a 330 mile drive each way and at only 12-15 mpg that’s going to get expensive
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Wow, what show? Lebugshow?

Im from belgium too
Better to be blown than to suck!