'71 Super Beetle Autocross Build

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
ChadH

Re: '71 Super Beetle Autocross Build

Post by ChadH » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:11 am

Jadewombat wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:25 pm
OK, sorry for the hijack, but what kind of hi-fi speaker is that in the back in your shop? I know that isn't a crap Sony presswood 8ohm MiC disposable tower.
I think it's funny people are more interested in the weird things they see in the background :lol: Here's the quick-n-dirty.

The arrays each have 16~5" midbass and 32~cone tweaters. All were buyouts from parts express. I also have two bass bins with 2~10" woofers each. The big orange box also is a 15" horn loaded sub. After 2-blown drivers, It's been put out to pasture. It used to rattle stuff off the shelves when it was working.

It currently runs with 3 amps (used to be 4), and dedicated Linux computer that does real time audio processing. Crossover, parametric EQ, and other goodies if needed.

Long story short, It's a giant MP3 player. Many of the array drivers are at the end of their life, a couple dead drivers, and surrounds are beginning to rot. Since the speakers were limited buy-outs, I can't just replace the dead drivers. I need to re-design and build a new array. Like everything else in this thread, not enough time to do it. :(

Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:41 pm

Yeah, I got wrapped up last fall quite a while with audio. A LOT of speakers were tossed out after Harvey here in Houston and I scooped them up. Some of the cabinets were too far gone, but many were salvageable and almost all of the electrical components worked. All my stuff is analog except when I use my tablet as a source (sometimes vinyl, other times mp3). The neighbors behind me were complaining so I have to insulate that back garage wall at some point.

OK, back to cars now...

ChadH

Post by ChadH » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:22 pm

Jadewombat wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:41 pm
..All my stuff is analog....
Yup, got that too - with single ended triodes :wink: Not loud enough to overcome the air compresser in the garage though.

Back to VW's. Here's my current delema.

I had modified the sleds from a previous build, but they don't fit with my 1-5/8" headers. I could:
a) Rework the sleds, and use the headers I have.
b) Just throw the sleds in a box, don't worry about them. The car will only be run hard for 60-seconds at a time.
c) Throw the exhaust in a box, and get a smaller diameter header. I'm worried what I have is too big for what I'm trying to accomplish. Looking for broad band torque, not just just RPM. It would probably still requrie sled re-work if I use it.

Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:54 pm

I would use T3 cool tin wire tied to keep it tight against the bottom of the cylinders and throw the sleds in a box. A lot of the off-roaders go with this setup and run those cars all day long. I've been running my bus this way for years with no issues and I built and ran this motor in Tucson when I used to live there a while back.

Whoa man, way too much audio. I'm gonna stay awake way too late thinking about this. I've wanted a vacuum tube amp for years. I bought a used Onkyo receiver from 1978 with a true 27W RMS per channel (4) back in college, used it for years and pissed off the neighbors last year, then it was finally starting to die and got a Vector Research receiver of the same year in excellent shape, more power, and for $75!

The speakers I got. Whew, Pioneer, JBL, and Infinity. Vintage ones. Some really great stuff. JBL decade 36s, Pioneer CS88a and Pioneer 910s. I had way too much fun playing with all of them, but space (and to a lesser degree) time and effort were also a concern. Took some components from a Pioneer and made my own enclosure for a center channel and it really brings the room together. Got turned onto the Niles brand a while back. Niles are meant to be mounted in the wall, but sound AWESOME in an enclosure so I made my own. My former mentor had several Niles a customer gave him and each one was worth $1500 a piece. I made enclosures and it rocked his world in his shop.

Anyhoo, I'm rambling again, but I HATE audiophile snobs. Good sound is for EVERYONE!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChadH

Post by ChadH » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:45 pm

Tin fab-o-rama.

New 1-1/2" CB header. Fits even more differently than my old 1-5/8" speed bump trashed header. I'm not giving in to type 3 cool tins just yet. Major tweaks on sleds and DIY "industrial" tin in progress....

I don't care if a stinger is gauche and passe'. I'm rocking it. I loves me stingers.