Central WA Baja

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
BajaBug222

Re: Central WA Baja

Post by BajaBug222 »

What’s the status. You cut her up a long time ago.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

I don't wanna talk about it.......
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

CentralWAbaja wrote:I don't wanna talk about it.......
Stop chasing horses. My wife started comparing my car to her horses last week. Something about the last 3 items I bought cost more then her last horse.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Does this count as working on my car
314201820656.jpg

Any time a guy can buy "California Car" parts in Washington State it's a successful day. I have been searching Craigslist everywhere from here to Texas and back the long way through Californian and Arizona for the last 6 months for this exact setup. Found these here less then a 100 miles from my house. Not sure the wheels have hit the sand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CentralWAbaja on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

314201820634.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Score.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Why paddles as there are other options.

How's the back doing?

Lee
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:05 am Why paddles as there are other options.

How's the back doing?

Lee
Not sure if that was a typo on the paddles question? but I was not crazy about the first setup that I did. These are a bit taller and on a much wider rim to hopefully help the back of the car float while also giving me back some gear that should allow me to get above the 100mph mark

The back is getting better but will never be the same. Still in the gym most days and getting back out in the field some to help my guys when I can. I can still work circles around my youthful help....but only for an hour then I need a nap in the truck LOL
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

It has been interesting in the bigger (plus wider) is better thing out there plus the change about the use of paddles themselves vs. some of the other options now out there. Since I don't and haven't run at Winchester Bay plus you camp on the sand, can you/are there places you can safely hit those speeds :shock: ? I hear some of the big engine toys out there once in a while but not for long. The engines don't get too much into the power band before the foot goes off the loud pedal. It does sound knarrly for a while though. Every so often you might see a 120+ wheel base sand car but not often and not a second time as they usually get smaller toys for this area. Other than the one area at Hauser (and that is questionable to hit that fast in what is referred to as the "drag strip" area) there is the one place you might be able to use those speeds.

When I changed over from steel rims (15" X 15" minimum) on my 1300+ paddles to a narrower 12" X 15" AL rims with the same paddles the traction was changed dramatically. The "pluses" were recommended as proper for what I have: the weight/engine combination (flotation). I think the rails, being lighter were using the non-plus paddles but I haven't kept up with that myself.

Weight was a big thing of course but the side to side (sidewalls rolling with the low tire pressure) motion in the rear settled down with the narrower rim and the big change in weight (I now have some new picnic tables for outside). Because I have something like a 1/4th mile of asphalt and RR tracks to cover before entering the dunes (there is a shorter but more dangerous way but I refuse to use it going out. Coming back it is OK... I guess :roll: ).

Because the short drive over hard surfaces, which were tearing up my paddles, I switched over to Desert Tracs which have a stiffer sidewall; the air pressure went from 7#s in the paddles to advertised recommendation of 5#s in the Tracs (4#s and the tire to rim seal leaks). Running 7#s in the Tracs didn't seem to change anything over the paddles but the 2# drop change did make a big difference.

I just checked some of the photos of other rails I am seeing out there and while most of them are still using the larger dia. wider rims on big engine toys but using the AL rims. If you stopped by "Schwab's" place in Reedsport you would see a lot of different stuff (some of it dual purpose) that is being sold for use around the area now days and the conversation with the guys down there was interesting to say the least. Not sure about the "Schwab" store in North Bend as I haven't been in there for quite a while.

I wasn't sure you were still running on sand only hence the dual purpose comment.

Lee
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Douglas Wheel makes quality products. I ran their rims on my racing kart back in the day. I think you made a good choice, for whatever that's worth! (probably the price you paid for my opinion...)
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
fordfreak

Post by fordfreak »

Wtf Cliff notes please somebody! :)
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Just don't try to run Douglas wheels in hard desert.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

fordfreak wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:52 pm Wtf Cliff notes please somebody! :)
Cliff Notes:
Finished car
Car ran like sh!t then ran awesome
Won the night run with a great group of people
Broke my back in the car in August
Spent a S-ton of money on new front end parts
Decided to upgrade the front end and cut the bent beam off at Christmas
Have to spend a S-ton of money again or wait for the R&D to catch up on my new front end parts
Work is crazy now and I have lost motivation to work on car....hopefully drive it again in 2019

There I said it.... and you are caught up

Oh and my back is getting better every day. I packed 25 sheets of 4x8 cement board the other day on the job. Still hurts though.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Should have bought 3 x 5.

Just kidding, but take care of your back!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

bajaherbie wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:03 am Should have bought 3 x 5.

Just kidding, but take care of your back!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Hardi-panel siding.... but not everybody knows what that is so 4x8 cement board is what I went with LOL