Finally starting on a blow through Kadron motor

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: Finally starting on a blow through Kadron motor

Post by buguy »

Do you happen to have a pic of how far out the up pipe 180* hangs out the back?
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

Heat wrap is not so good on daily drivers in humid and rainy places like Florida. The pipes tend to corrode REALLY fast when wrapped.

A thermal coating would be my choice but remember this is a budget build and meant to be simple and fun.

At road speed there should be a ton of air washing into the popped open decklid. I'm not real concerned.
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

buguy wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:57 pm Do you happen to have a pic of how far out the up pipe 180* hangs out the back?
I don't think I understand the question.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well you used a regular header and then put a 180* bend on it to go up to the carbs. I'm just wondering how far out past the apron that 180* bend sticks out?
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

Oh, I understand.

It barely sticks out at all. I'll take a pic in the morning and post it.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Thanks. Thinking of doing something similar but I thought it would stick way out.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Lo Cash John wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:14 pm Figuring on making 8-10 PSI
Thats a good initial target to shoot for, but from one boosted bug to another...you're gonna wanna crank the boost shortly after you get the initial tune figured out. :roll: :wink: :lol:
Have you checked on that internal wastegate? I believe the GTI's and A4's that run that turbo boost to 20psi. You may need another way to limit your boost to 8-10psi
Plan on intercooling or water/meth now that it is still in the build phase. Even if it is just putting another port or two in the intake manifold for spray nozzles later. Do it now and cap it so later you don't have to take it all apart to put ports and the such in. Believe me...you're going to want to go bigger :twisted:
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

You might want to extend the float bowl vents into those carb tops.
That made the biggest difference in my blow through carb build for getting the mixtures right.
I went from a 170 main and lean on boost back down to a 130 main and pig rich on my Solex by just adding a 2 inch long vent extension.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I've seen that done on many turbo carbs.
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

Extending the float bowl vent is one of the first things I'll probably try to help fuel enrichment on boost.
madmike

Post by madmike »

This aint john's first rodeo :wink: :lol:
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

Here's a pic showing the rear apron and the 180* U-bend of the up pipe. We used 1-7/8" mandrel bends from Summit Racing. The 1-7/8 size was a perfect match for the inlet diameter of the K03 turbo.

As for controlling boost, the actuator rod for the wastegate diaphragm is adjustable in length/tension. I'm pretty confident we can dial the tension down enough to get the boost we want. In fact it has enough adjustment that we can pretty much release tension on the wastegate "flapper" all together. If we can't get it to dial-in just right, I can always add an external wastegate to the up pipe.

Keep in mind this is a "low buck" funny project for a friend of mine. He's never driven a fast VW. In fact, the fastest VW he's ever been in was a basically stock 1679 with a Weber progressive. Handing him this motor once I've dialed it in will be like handing him a crack pipe and sayng "here, smoke this" :lol:

Once the urge hits for more power (and it will) I'm going to guide him through an upgrade to a 1915 with either blow through HPMX or Type D (Dell copies) carbs. Maybe even EFI. In the mean time this will be a fairly detailed build that may be useful to any other low buck VW guys wanting to huff through a set of Kduds.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Wow thanks! You can barely even see it! Perfect!
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

Yeah, it's pretty tucked in. We thought about making a fake quiet pack muffler and attaching on there. That way it looks like it belongs there.
buguy

Post by buguy »

That would be a cool look. Or hollow one out and actually run the exhaust through it from the turbo.