My draw through turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: My draw through turbo

Post by buguy »

Would putting on the floor on the gas pedal be better? So it only works when you're to the floor with it?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I thought that you just activated the launch control system with a switch and did your run ?
I was not aware that you had to deactivate the system once you had launch and before you went into second.
If that's the case I will have to move my switch and use a push on/ release off switch and move it to the gearstick or steering wheel.
Also I'm still trying to figure out why my rpm's still increase (slowly ) when I floor the pedal I was also under the impression that once the target rpm had been reached the rpm's should not increase anymore even through the accelerator can still be depressed more. If that makes sense?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

buguy wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:28 am Would putting on the floor on the gas pedal be better? So it only works when you're to the floor with it?
Mine is on my clutch. Its not perfect, adjustments to the clutch can change how good it actually works. Launched my car at 7500rpm once on Friday night :roll:
I put my foot on the floor when I race, i don't want the 2 step active unless I'm launching.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

advinnie wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:16 am I thought that you just activated the launch control system with a switch and did your run ?
I was not aware that you had to deactivate the system once you had launch and before you went into second.
If that's the case I will have to move my switch and use a push on/ release off switch and move it to the gearstick or steering wheel.
Also I'm still trying to figure out why my rpm's still increase (slowly ) when I floor the pedal I was also under the impression that once the target rpm had been reached the rpm's should not increase anymore even through the accelerator can still be depressed more. If that makes sense?
Your car doesn't know the difference between launching and driving, it doesn't know what gear its in. Its your job to tell it. If a switch is active, so is the setting. I have 3 different rev limiters. My overall top end 7500, my 5500rpm 2 step used for launching, and my 5500rpm 3 step used for burnouts.
They are all adjustable. I really only mess with the launch rpm one.

Creeping past your limit can be a setting issue. Pull more timing if you need to. Take the power away. I retard timing a couple hundred rpm before it starts cutting spark, I'm lucky if it'll even hit 5500 in neutral on the 2 step, even with the pedal mashed to the floor. But the instant i let the clutch out, it shooting hard for that 7500 limiter.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

The rpm creeping has no been sorted was an error on my side. I have a very simple 2 step limiter and if I could post photos on here I would but I just can't get the size of them small enough 😠
Here's a link to showing how my Cb performance two step looks like and you will be able to see that I can't retard before the launch limiter kicks in
https://hotvws.com/content.php?contentID=96
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

It doesn't need to retard early. Mine does it to soften the blow when it does cut spark. If yours stops your rev increase without the early retard then all is well.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Right I've been in contact to CB performance and they have been very helpful. They have given me a code witch unlocks the 2 step limiters and allows me to change the missed sparks and missed VR inputs. Now some questions what does VR stand for?
At the moment the base settings on both limiters as set to
Number of missed sparks 3
Number of missed VR inputs 7

So I take it that means when the limiters kick in it kills 3 out if the 4 sparks per cycle and misses 7 VR inputs per cycle?
Are am I total wrong?
I think a VR input is the signal from the points to the ignition box?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

PS CB performance have told me to play with the VR setting first and this will allow me to run more advance than 5 degrees ATDC and stop the rpm rising when the pedal is floored
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Can someone tell me what VR stands for ?
I've played around today have have noticed that if I up the VR miss number the limiter cuts in harder
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Variable Reluctance
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Cheers 👍
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I've given up with the two step because it works so well and I'm going to break something 😂😂😂💥😞
Now I've been running a water ignition system using windscreen wash with 28% methanol I've now just brought some 99.98% methanol and plan to mix it with pure distilled water but unsure on what methanol to water mix I should run any one have any advice on this?
Also is the mix done on weight or volume?
Cheers
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Mixing 1:1 water and meth by weight or volume is fine...just do it the same way every time so you're consistent. That way your tune will respond the same every time you spray. Gallon of each would be the easiest.
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

advinnie wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:18 am I've given up with the two step because it works so well and I'm going to break something 😂😂😂💥😞
Now I've been running a water ignition system using windscreen wash with 28% methanol I've now just brought some 99.98% methanol and plan to mix it with pure distilled water but unsure on what methanol to water mix I should run any one have any advice on this?
Also is the mix done on weight or volume?
Cheers
I have lots of race specific features built into mine, but never use them unless on the track. The wear and tear is just not worth the 1 second of joy. Thats not to say that I won't let it breathe every now and again, but I never launch the car on the street, ever. No burnouts, nothing that is going to shock and break stuff. Even just letting it breathe can get me into trouble in a hurry. I did a very short pull the other day, just through 2nd gear, looked down at the speedo and was doing 70mph (it reads a little fast, but still...)! I was cruising on a 45mph back road at the time. Its hard to remember sometimes just how fast 7000rpm translates into, even in low gears. Be careful out there.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

So 50/50 mix by volume or weight will be fine.
I'm still struggling with the Frist in to second gear change and not over rev'ing it, the rpm increases so fast there's hardly enough to do the chance.