My draw through turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
rubenski

Re: My draw through turbo

Post by rubenski »

isnt it possible to add a rev limiter for first ans second gear?

Maybe a flip swith on the gearstick?

Or i have a mechanical limiter rotor in my delco that gives 5400 rpms
Better to be blown than to suck!
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Double Post
Last edited by kangaboy on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

advinnie wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:01 am I'm still struggling with the Frist in to second gear change and not over rev'ing it, the rpm increases so fast there's hardly enough to do the chance.
Isn't "Two Step" different than "Flat Shifting" ? I feel like there was a flat shift setting that I heard about that would work better for you in the over rev situation. Just thinking out loud here...but the flat shift idea is something that I would like to look into in the future if its an option.
2084 Turbo Build
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

That's what I'm playing with now. But the CB performance black box is being a pain. When I ignition switch is left in default mode and the rev limiter set to 5000rpm when that rpm is reached the limiter does kick in but the engine was still able to rev high but now I've found out how to adjust the number of missed VR input signals things are looking better. For example when I only had 7 missed VR inputs the limiter would kick in so gently you hardly noticed it but when the input signals missed is increased to 11 the limiter kicks in hard and smoke and fire and poop load of banging and popping come out the exhaust but the rpm will now hold steady at my per set rpm limiter so I've now got to find the middle ground where the limiter will hold the rpm's at my setting and not cause fire and he'll to leave the exhaust. I can also adjust the number of missed sparks as well it's just a case of playing around now. But when I get this right flat shifting via the way forward for me I think
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Some advice needed. Im considering going down a size on the turbo from the T3 I have now with a .36 hit side and .42 cold to a T2 but what ratio hit and cold size should I be looking for?
The reason for down size is because this turbo have a lot more to give and is still building boost when Ive run out if rpm. In third the turbo is boosting at 2200 rpm and on 8psi by 3500rpm and 16psi at 6300 rpm and it will still climb if I had more rpm to play with. So what I'm after is a smaller turbo that will spool faster and give me the max boost sooner but about from dropping down to a T2 I don't know what size hot and cold I I would need?
I don't want to drop size and get the A/R wrong and end up in the same situation. I want boost lower in the rpm range and to build faster as well. Any advice?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

kangaboy wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:25 am
advinnie wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:01 am I'm still struggling with the Frist in to second gear change and not over rev'ing it, the rpm increases so fast there's hardly enough to do the chance.
Isn't "Two Step" different than "Flat Shifting" ? I feel like there was a flat shift setting that I heard about that would work better for you in the over rev situation. Just thinking out loud here...but the flat shift idea is something that I would like to look into in the future if its an option.
My Ms3 offers 2 step[launch), 3 step(burnout), flat shift(between gears, clutch in), and overall limiter(missed shift). I use them all. Flat shift is designed to allow you to keep your right foot on the floor the entire time without hitting the peak limiter when shifting.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Then I will missed understood bwhat flat shifting is 😞
I had my upper limiter set to 5500 rpm and a warning light that can on at 5200 rpm. So planted the pedal to the floor wait it the 5200 rpm warning light came on dipped the clutch rpm would rise to no more than the 5500 rpm where the limiter would hold it in to the next gear of the clutch and so on.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

AKA "Deck shifting" when not using the clutch. Clutch is used when launching and at the end of the run but then going/pulling through the gears w/o lifting either of your feet off the floor when not using the clutch to shift. "Yarf", push" then "yarf" one more time (to "yarf" is pulling on the shifter handle).

Some guys do lift a off the throttle a bit/tad to relieve some pressure on the trans to accommodate the RPM changing to the next higher gear. Both ways it is a timing thing but with the throttle the lift required the throttle leg to run the quarter mile only.

"Double clutching" is something else entirely; almost exactly the opposite.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

advinnie wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:41 pm Then I will missed understood bwhat flat shifting is 😞
I had my upper limiter set to 5500 rpm and a warning light that can on at 5200 rpm. So planted the pedal to the floor wait it the 5200 rpm warning light came on dipped the clutch rpm would rise to no more than the 5500 rpm where the limiter would hold it in to the next gear of the clutch and so on.
I think you have it correct
2084 Turbo Build
buguy

Post by buguy »

What is a 3 step burnout??
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

The difference between your setup and mine is that i don't want the engine bouncing off the high rev limiter. You are only asking 5500rpm from yours. I have my flat shift set at 6500, with my peak limiter at 7500. The principle is the same though.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

buguy wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:59 pm What is a 3 step burnout??
Just another limiter, i use it to hold my rpm down while in the burnout box, i don't retard timing with it though, at least not like i do with the 2 step.
buguy

Post by buguy »

How do you select that? How does it know your doing a burnout?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Its a separate switch. That one is a button on my steering wheel.
2 step is my clutch switch.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I WANT A BURNOUT SWITCH 😁
Getting nervous my bug ( blue thunder) has her MOT test later today 🤪