Bug with 40 ford/ willys BGW coupe conversion kit

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
herman_21060

Bug with 40 ford/ willys BGW coupe conversion kit

Post by herman_21060 »

Have acquired an early bug (66 with a 1600 cc engine installed
Has been converted to a coupe with BGW's kit. Plan on restoring it
would be interested in conversing with someone with similiar vehicle.

Thanks.
Walter
TeamEvil

Post by TeamEvil »

I have a '66 Bug with a BGW kit as well, 'cept mine is the sedan delivery kit. I really love it, not just the way it looks (sort of like a 35 or 40 Ford. or maybe a little bit British), but the way in which it's constructed. Very strong with inner bulkheads where necessary and a really good fit where it meets the original Beetle body lines.

They do such a great job, I just wish that their catalog wasn't so darn EXPENSIVE! I might buy a hood/grill from them to match the back section, but I don't want to pay $20 or so just to see if I like the looks nice enough to buy it.

TC

bug with BGW kit

Post by Guest »

I know what you mean, I wanted to see how the thing was put together, so I could do a half way decent job restoring it. the 40 ford hood Looks nice with the sedan delivery as well as the Willys front end, send me your E-mail address and I will scan you some pictures of it both ways. don't know what it sells for as there are no prices. With spending all that money for the catalogue and assembly directions you'd think they would send a price list also.
The grill sections are not included in the price of the hood I do know that

Walter
67 newbie

Post by 67 newbie »

Post the pics on here I am sure people here would like to see them... :D
Kubel Nick

Post by Kubel Nick »

A few people at volksrods.com forums has similar kits. I have one of their older catalags, some cool stuff in there.
Kubel Nick

Post by Kubel Nick »

A few people at volksrods.com forums has similar kits. I have one of their older catalags, some cool stuff in there.
TeamEvil

Post by TeamEvil »

Hi Walter,

Click your PM box with the little heads on it. I sent you a private message. I just hope that the teacher doesn't find out that we're passing messages in class . . .

I'm going to get a disposable camera this weekend and fire off some shots of the car. If I can figure out how to do it, I'll try posting them. If not I'll send them along to you anyway, just so that you can see what the sedan delivery/panel truck looks like. It's and older kit and a little rough (previous owner's doing, not mine) but you can still get the effect . . . if you squint a bit. Big plus is that it's in flat black so it looks a little like a ratrod. A VERY LITTLE bit.

Thanks, TC
TeamEvil

Post by TeamEvil »

Hey Gang,

I FINALLY got a bunch of pics of my little BGW truck conversion but I don't know how to post them here. If anyone wants to see, just fire off a PM with your email and I can email them off to you in turn.

TC
Crimson_Axe

Post by Crimson_Axe »

I have a kit Similiar to a bgw spectre kit - I did by the front grille from them since the old grille was pitted. I bought the molds from the guy that did the body work for me.

TeamEvil

Post by TeamEvil »

WOW! If that isn't the coolest ride that I've seen in a while . . .

Really terrific job, it looks so right. The proportions and fit and finish are all pefection. You ought to be really proud of it!!

Could you post a little more about the components, the car, the engine? I'm just looking at it again, Gosh, that must be a ton of fun for an early evening ride . . . beautiful!

TC

Post by Guest »

It started off as a 74 hardtop super, It has a kit similiar to the bgw spectre put on it with the 40's hood (found it at a junk yard) got the new grille from bgw though. It has 5 in wider fenders in the rear and 3 in wider in the front. It has been dropped a little over 3 in with maxx struts. it now has a berg 5 speed built by rancho. a 2563 Type 4 built by Jake Raby at Aircooledtechnology, "nickies" 102's from Ln Engineering , exhaust from tangerine racing, Thor at ADS International in Orlando did all the body work and paint. I have to get another decklid made because with the 5 speed it sets the engine back a bit so the decklid doesn't quite close without my homemade standoffs, plus I have to locate my setrab (dual) oil cooler in the new decklid since the engine compartment didn't have enough room for the type 4 oil cooler that comes with the dtm (also got from Jake)
wizrod

Post by wizrod »

I have BGW's '36 Ford kit on my Wizard Roadster (the Wizard is a UK copy(according to BGW) of BGW's 'Smoothie' coupe conversion). I have to say the quality of the kit is excellent, but they wouldn't ship outside the US, and it toook 5 months from placing the order to getting it shipped.

Here are some pics:
(NOTE - in the second pic, I have filled the inner wheel well myself. This is not part of the kit. The full kit includes a pair of bald (ie no light buckets) fenders)
It's still a work in progress. I reckon another 12 months to completion.
TeamEvil

Post by TeamEvil »

Paul,

NICE, very nice! It looks like you a did a lot more than fill the fenderwells. I've seen one or two of the '36 & '40 Ford nose kits and they sort of stick out in front much more than yours does. Did you also shorten the hood to bring the grill closer to the front beam? Are you running a chassis extender to bring the beam forward? It could just be the pictures, but the results look a WHOLE lot better than I've seen on cars in the past.

Oh, also . . . how do you post your pictures? I have tons (sort of) pictures of my panel conversion, but I don't know the procedure for posting. Do I need a host site, how do I acquire one, where do I find one, etc.

Any help would really . . . help!

TC
wizrod

Post by wizrod »

Hi TC - posting pics is easy - I upload them to a folder on my webspace, and then add a link to them using the 'Img' button on the post editor page.

The front suspension on my volksrod has been moved forward, not the body back!! I (had) made a custom Mustang II IFS (like) system:
Image.
The original plan for this (as in the pic) was to bolt up up to the framehead, like a normal VW front beam. This gave about 8" extra wheel base, which was good, but not quite enough, so I extended it a further 5" and drop it an inch too.
This needed me to hack out a good deal of the front inner wings/spare wheel well area:
Then I added the foam and GRP as in my other post.

Not a straight forward task, but if it was too easy, it wouldn't be as much fun!!!
TeamEvil

Post by TeamEvil »

Wizrod-

Wander over to the Conversion Perversion section and check under V8 Panel Truck Pics. I posted some pics of my BGW V8 Beetle conversion there. Not as much body work as you've gotten into, but I'm just sort of fitting the pieces together for now. Once the body configuration and rear fenders are sorted out, then the serious fiberglass and filler work will begin.

TC

Your front suspension is a work of art!!! NICE!!!