Pics of the 914 spec DTM

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Pics of the 914 spec DTM

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Here it is guys!

Its not pretty sitting there all naked and bare without it's Gelcoat on, BUT at this point it just has to function and be proven. It still didn't turn out too bad considering it wasn't made in a mold!

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/r_d_914_dtm.htm

Nevermind those pics of engine parts- Charles goofed up when he loaded them in a jiffy for me today. (those are a newly designed piston for a wild chamber Len and I designed and a 66x100 bore size)

We finished the mock up over the weekend and its ready for the dyno next week!

This shroud is the first one and it is set up for guys with full external oil systems, full flow and accusumps- like my car. After I make this version work it will shed some light on what I need to modify to physically go further with to fit into the 914 and still utilize the factory oil cooler. I have two possibilities of that at the present.

The other design locates a small efficient cooler normally used externally in the sheetmetal just forward of the engine toward the cockpit of the 914. This version will blow air into a duct we are making now, through the sheetmetal and out the bottom where another duct will be that has a venturi effect to help pull air through the cooler even faster as speed increases!

Its amazing that I have gotten this far with it with everything else going on here!!!!!!!!

For those that are not on my list but would like to be email the Mad Scientist at [email protected]
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Gotta love the Hammerite on the valve covers....;-)
(Great stuff actually, I use it a lot)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.

Post by Guest »

Does that tunnel ram on the shroud work? pretty soon you won't even need the engine... the shroud will be the engine.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Thats actually a sound supressor!

In a 914 the engine is right behind your head. I'm hoping this will enhance cooling AND make the fan quieter at the same time..

I'm gonna dyno it with and without the ring to see what it does temp and sound wise.,
70dragbug

Post by 70dragbug »

Another advantage of that "bellmouth" is it prevents turbulence caused by the fans suction,that way it gets a constant maximum of air.Jet engine Manufacturers use that in front of the engine on their Dyno Cell when they test their engines.Some Helicopters have them too.
70dragbug

Post by 70dragbug »

Oh nice work by the way Jake! I´ll bet you´ll see quite a drop in temperature,too.Your fan may spin a little faster because of the lack of turbulence and less resistance.
synthesisdv

Post by synthesisdv »

jake,

i'm making some oil cooler ducts from CF and FG. How did you mock that thing up without molds? I was going to just join some flat pieces and then fill and sand and then lay up a couple more layers.
shambly

Post by shambly »

Jake,

Is that alternator backing plate part 16512 in your new store?
Would compliment my CF DTM much more than the stock backing plate it has now, so will order one if it is.

Thanks

Simon
Mr.Spunone

DTM

Post by Mr.Spunone »

Very cool.Looks kind of scary all put togeather hope it tests well .Still waitin on a sketch for the dyno LOL :shock:
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Thats way cool man!
If we're gonna test it on my race engine we'll have to drastically modify my carb linkage.
You'll see soon enough.
JmuRiz

Post by JmuRiz »

Looks cool (har har). Can't wait to see how cool that 2316 beast runs with nickies and that DTM. :lol:
speedy57tub

Re: Pics of the 914 spec DTM

Post by speedy57tub »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote: Its amazing that I have gotten this far with it with everything else going on here!!!!!!!!
Yup, making molds is a pain in the arse and I did it almost two years ago when I did my own Type I 911 shroud. After many trial and errors, I got decent results but would I do it again, most likely not :x since it is way too much work! Jake, once again---super nice job. This design could be a possibility for some of the VW based kitcars/replicas! :P
MASSIVE TYPE IV

I have two more possibilities for the shroud as well. This one is basically for guys that have extensive oil systems with huge coolers and don't need the stocker. (like Chris)

The two others will be fitted after the engine is in the car, then I'll remove it and dyno it again since fit is the main challenge here and not design.
davygrvy

Post by davygrvy »

Hmm... I wouldn't mind not having the T4 oil cooler in my beetle's engine.. maybe next time when I'm ready to swap to red kevlar :)

Post by Guest »

Will there be a version that seals off the sides and rear or the compartment as well as the front mold with a cooler and ducting. My teener just started drooling.