It's a longblock! The 3.0 is a day away from living!

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

It's a longblock! The 3.0 is a day away from living!

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

It's almost 4 am... I just sealed the MasIVe heads up on the beast!

I have encountered many issues with this build due to the overall size and the cylinder heads. I hit a snag tonight that almost destroyed my chances of getting it done for Dyno day- But I tackled it and came up with a solution.

The heads need mucho refinement as does my combo this first time around. I am quite sure that the cam could benefit from a different centerline and maybe a few less degrees of duration. s it stands the engine has an 8,000 RPM capability so I don't know how streetable it will actually be.

I am having some serious DTM fitting issues because of the heads so it looks like I will be hacking up the first DTM we ever made to slap on this baby for the dyno runs. This first time around its not very pretty and shiny and its not supposed to be. I can see that this baby needs another year of development and some good trial and error to be everything it can be.

This is a pretty scary project and it may blow all to hell on the first run- But I guarantee some serious power even if it does!

We'll post some internal pics of the crank/case and cylinders later but I don't plan on taking any pics of the heads till I have all the issues worked out with them- else they just stir questions that I can't even answer yet because we have no data and no comparisons.
sammy49

Post by sammy49 »

Jake,
You're crazy :lol: . No doubt about that. But I love to read about your research and development and follow you in your madness :D. I can't wait to see the pictures of this new monster !!
R2.0

Post by R2.0 »

These are the heads with the T1 exhaust ports?
Richie

Post by Richie »

Hello,

A 3.0 litre with the capability to turn 8000 rpm? :shock: :shock:
Uuuuhhhhhhhh.... WOW!!! 8) 8)
Can't wait to read what it does on the dyno! This will be the next small step for Jake but a giant leap for Type 4-kind! :D
Respect Jake!

Cheers,
Richard
NO_H2O

Post by NO_H2O »

Well I'm up and packing for a trip to Cleveland to help Jake breath life into the 3L over the next 2 days. We will see if we can get it on the Dyno tonight or tomorrow. I wouldn't miss this for nothin'
Wally

Post by Wally »

Excellent!
I don't know what duration you have, but big engines love long duration imho.
For a enormous big 3.0 liter, I think you may wish you had used more duration :wink: . Also this is where EFI really shines as EFI doesn't need a certain amount of air through a vent to emulsify gas.
Only your carbs may not like this duration, but the EFI doesn't care :D (but of course, who am I telling this... :lol: )

Keep us posted Jake, very cool!

Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
MASSIVE TYPE IV

This is just a baseline run so I am not concerned with making it perfect. Like I said it will take a ton of trial and error to get the combo perfect. This time around it will be ran with carbs so thats the reason I'm saying that it won't produce the power it should- I designed it for I/R FI.

I have less than two weeks to get it installed into the bug for the SE Dyno day and thats my only goal right now.

Yes, this engine has the new heads with TI exhaust ports.
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Thank you Jake! wow... I still cannot believe the actual size of that monster! The tolerances and the amount of work just to make sure everything clears properly. When Jake? when do we know how bad arse that engine is?

Ephry
Wally

Post by Wally »

Ephry73 wrote:. When Jake? when do we know how bad arse that engine is?

Ephry
In two weeks time? :lol:

What size header (tangerine no doubt) do you use for that beast Jake?

Did you have a rod set specially made for this one? Pauter?

Whats the base circle of your cam for this one?

Sorry for the many questions :wink:
Best regards,
Walter
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
MASSIVE TYPE IV

In two weeks time?

Yep.. I'll know no later than Thursday BUT Its all staying on my hill till Dyno Day!

What size header (tangerine no doubt) do you use for that beast Jake?
>>>Its a 2" Berg Type I unit from years ago with a 3" Magnaflow Muff.
Did you have a rod set specially made for this one? Pauter?

Nope- I used a set of my standard rods same ones used in my 2270 engines but in a 5.8" length) with SPS CARR bolts installed. Carrillos and Pauter would not fit! The STD rod should hold this power as I have pushed well over 300 through them on Turbo TI engines.
Whats the base circle of your cam for this one?

As small as it could go- Smaller than I have ever ran before.
Sorry for the many questions

Sorry for the lack of answers- This is all proprietary information. I have a competitor trying to enter into the Midget field and I KNOW he is watching the forum.
They are trying to use Pauter heads in their engines- I have to keep my edge.
Bobtail

Post by Bobtail »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:
Sorry for the lack of answers- This is all proprietary information. I have a competitor trying to enter into the Midget field and I KNOW he is watching the forum.
They are trying to use Pauter heads in their engines- I have to keep my edge.
So you'll not be wanting to disclose bore and stroke or power figures?
Wally

Post by Wally »

No need for more info so far :roll:
Thanks! I think the type 1 header is actually a big bonus (also cost wise :wink: )

Hi Bobtail,
You were away too long :wink:
I beleive Jake disclosed that some other time somewhere; its a 86 stroke (I thought with chevy tap) and has Nickies with a 'rediculous' 105,.. mm something bore IIRC...
Also, he probably uses (correct me when I'am wrong) the 1:1,48 roller rockers to get some decent valve lift :lol: I am curious if he used the elaborate oil pressure lines to the rockers for lubrication on this engine or that he now has found a way to modify the Pauter rockers otherwise.
The very long pushrod tubes (with a 5,8 rod :shock: and 86 stroke) must have been a pain as well. Either to weld up longer ones or to make them from scratch.
Pure speculation on my part of course haha!

Walter
Last edited by Wally on Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.apfelbeck.nl
Wesayso

Post by Wesayso »

I do hope your Dyno stays in one piece for this run!
Reading you have VW parts in it now it should hold...

Good luck on your test run! I hope it proves it's potential!
MASSIVE TYPE IV

The bore and stroke is 86x105.7

CR is 10.2:1

Valves are 52x41

I'll tell you how much power it made after our Dyno day..
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Madness! is Madness! Geez Jake, couldn't find digger valves? hehe... That thing should rock. One thing though, keep a sound recorder handy, I am sure ALL of us would love to hear that beast!

Ephry