Some Full Flow Parts Questions

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
BajaT4

Some Full Flow Parts Questions

Post by BajaT4 »

Jake, not sure if you got these questions I sent thru the "contact us" portion of your website. Sorry in advance if this is a repeat.

1. On your full flow oil pump kit, you supply a modified cam gear. Since my engine is already assembled (using a Webcam and a CB performance gear with a modified 30mm schaedek pump), do I really need to use the modified cam gear?

2. Do I need to plug the old oil passage in the case from the pump?

3. Not having installed a full flow oil system on any motor yet, are there instructions that come with the kit or is it just as simple as coming out of the pump, through the filter and back into the case with a hose size of xxx?

4. Is the pressure relief valve still in play with a full flow system, or does it get eliminated???

I'm willing to document and put together a set of installation instructions if that would help! thanks...
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

1. On your full flow oil pump kit, you supply a modified cam gear. Since my engine is already assembled (using a Webcam and a CB performance gear with a modified 30mm schaedek pump), do I really need to use the modified cam gear?

The modified cam gear is a must, without it you'll collide some parts..
Do I need to plug the old oil passage in the case from the pump?
The full flow pump is already plugged and ready to go!
3. Not having installed a full flow oil system on any motor yet, are there instructions that come with the kit or is it just as simple as coming out of the pump, through the filter and back into the case with a hose size of xxx?
Its very simple and self explanatory... I am making detailed instructions to post on the web for near every part in the store.
4. Is the pressure relief valve still in play with a full flow system, or does it get eliminated???
Yep, works unaltered just like factory.

This arrangement is one of the biggest sellers in the Type 4 Store!
BajaT4

Post by BajaT4 »

I'm using a modified 30mm Schaedek Type 1 pump now that I only had to take 1mm off of the pump shaft to work and I don't have any clearance problems. I wonder what's different?

Maybe I should just plug my own pump and get the other parts from your store instead. I'd hate to tear down the whole engine just to make it full flow!

Are those instructions in your store area or do they come after I order the parts?

Thanks again Jake! Nice job putting together the online store!
MASSIVE TYPE IV

You trimmed the top drive tang... Correct?? That still must be done..

BUT the lower support tang is the one thats a problem to clear.. This tang CAN be ground down but doing so is a real risk.. I say this because it is held in with a taper and if it dislodges you have a wasted engine.

I avoid modifying this portion of the pump like the plague, thats why the cam gear is modified..
BajaT4

Post by BajaT4 »

Yep, the top drive tang was modified.

I was good clearancewise with the bottom support tang and didn't need to modify it at all. I wonder if the difference is in the CB Performance T4 cam gear? If so, that would save you a bunch of machining time on those cam gears!
MASSIVE TYPE IV

There are no differences...

It must have been an older Schadek pump. They changed them in 2002 and thats when we needed to start the cam gear mods...
seahag

oil pump clearance

Post by seahag »

Jake, Do you have clearance issues with the Mellings oil pump? I have countersunk the cam gear bolt holes and haven't had clearance issues. I'm just wondering if I got lucky or what? Thanks
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Melling sucks...
Period.

I refuse to use one, except in an engine blow engine destined to die anyway..
BajaT4

Post by BajaT4 »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:There are no differences...

It must have been an older Schadek pump. They changed them in 2002 and thats when we needed to start the cam gear mods...
aha, that's what it is! I think I bought it back in '98. I'll plug my own so I don't have to tear the whole engine down. Is there anything special I should watch out for when plugging the pump?
BajaT4

Post by BajaT4 »

Wait a second... If the reason for going "full flow" is to send the oil through the filter with no chance of bypass then why not just remove the relief ball and spring and TIG weld the relief port closed on the existing filter mount?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Because the entire circuit that is associated with the stock filer is a restrictive POS! Count how many turns are eliminated when going full flow and you'll see one huge reason that we block all of it off... We keep the stock pressure relief functional, but the factory filter mount is totally eliminated.