TIV Performance Engine Video- How much would you pay?

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.

I'm a cheap bastid and I will not spend more than 25$
10%
Sure, I'll spend 39.95 for a general amount of detail
8%
Sure, I'll spend 49.95 for a bit more detail
11%
Sure, I'll spend 69.95 for a moderate amount of detail
4%
Sure, I'll spend 79.95 for an extensive amount of detail
12%
Sure, I'll spend 99.95 for the most bad ass video Jake can make!
56%

Total votes: 93

MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Okay guys.....

I have been putting together the outline for the performance engine video and starting to add together all of the notes I have taken over the past 4 years that I want to include in it..

So at this point I need input from you. I need an honest price that you would pay for the video. This video will be comprehensive, but the more that you agree to pay here in this poll the more in detail I will go during the script process.

A video like this does not exist for any engine, TIV, TI or even 911 to my knowledge. I plan on showing the entire build up from design to dyno and everything in between that we do to create a 2270 from A-Z. With the recent copycatting of my stuff the only safe way that some data can be safeguarded yet still covered in the video is that we will be basing the build up from a "2270 kit"..... We can still go over just as much, but simply won't share absolute specifics of the engine being built- However in the design portion of the video I will go over the things that one must consider when creating their own combination...

I plan to go over performance tuning as well and show dyno differences in real time from what a jet change or slight timing change can do and how to sense from your engine what it may need to make better power.

Basically the more you are willing to spend money wise, the more we will do detail wise. The video will not be dry and bland, but it will be up beat, humorous as well as informative and will feature many different shots of TIV engines in action on the street, on the dyno and on the track including in car shots and etc. I have many ides that will make this more than just an instructional video- Its a complete production that will even include skits and a lot of just plain funny stuff as well as getting down to serious business and making huge power....

All in all it's probably going to be two volumes on two different DVDs and will be at least 4 hours long between both of them.....

There will be more data in this video than any book that can be written, the viewer will be able to look over my shoulder as we do everything needed to assemble the engine including behind the scenes video of the machine work, balancing and even some head work..

I want to create the video that you guys want to see for the price you want to pay, but their has to be compromise somewhere. Hell I'd do the video for free if I could just to promote the TIV but the production cost and a professional's assistance that knows what he is doing is not cheap.... Thats why I need to know how far you will open the wallet..

So feel free to post your comments about the video here on this thread and make sure to cast your HONEST vote on the poll.

I look forward to this video and bringing myself into your living room or garage in a personal sort of way (again :-) by the end of this summer at latest!

What I definately plan to include:
*design and correctly matching an engine to a set of optimum gearing
*detailed assembly that will pick up where the Bug Me video leaves off
*correctly setting deck height, the effects of compression and its correct use and how quench works and why efficiency is such an important thing
*CORRECTLY SETTING ROCKER GEOMETRY!
*Proper break in, tuning and troubleshooting of a fresh MassIVe Four and some tricks to keep your engine alive longer
*Recommended temperatures
*recommended accesories and "Junk thats just not needed"
*Some sneak peaks from cooling system testing and even a few shots of the worst and best systems out there and what makes the good ones good and the bad ones bad..

Plus much, much more- if it is anything like I plan it will simply blow your mind.
Last edited by MASSIVE TYPE IV on Mon May 02, 2005 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpine

Post by Alpine »

I voted for $79.95. Please email me when it's finished.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

We'll be posting here quite a bit during the process... Maybe some highlights will be posted as a demo on my site as we work on the production..
Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter »

I voted the top price.......this video needs to be the best, and our willingness to pay the top price should encourage the best production.
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
MASSIVE TYPE IV

It absolutely will!

I swear that if you guys honestly vote for those upper echelon prices that you'll get my brain on a silver platter...

twystd1- I replied to you post on the 914 club :-)
Mark the canuck

Post by Mark the canuck »

Too cheap.

A video letting cheap bastards pick your brains.

I say fuch em, let them do their own research.

Sorry I'm a bit bitter this week...I think Jake knows what I'm talking about.

I can say this, a engine with DTM shroud install is about $500 (you know, plus DTM, yada-yada) from this shop...a sharpbbuilt 911 shroud (plus shroud, yada-yada) is about 4X the price.
Last edited by Mark the canuck on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildthings

Post by wildthings »

I think that you may be asking the wrong question. I think what you need to ask is how many people would be willing to buy the same high grade video at different potential prices. If four times as many cheap bastards would be willing to buy the same video for $25 as the rich bastards would at $99 dollars you would end up making about the same off the video and have a whole lot of additional secondary sales. However if the cheap bastards only bought 50% more videos at $25 you might be better off selling at $99.

I would have to put myself in the cheap bastard catagory, my idea of a performance cam is a stock cam that hasn't worn below .125 inches of lift. I am curious about your stroker engines but would need a lot of enticement to build one, as I've had excellent luck with stock VWAC engines, and I tend to equate the word "aftermarket" with "will never run right again". Sell me a video and you might sell me on an engine kit, but I doubt that you would sell me a video at $99. 8)
MASSIVE TYPE IV

aftermarket" with "will never run right again".

Thets the beauty of the TIV, hardlay nay parts for a 150HP engine have to be aftermarket..

Anyway, I am not asking the wrong question, I just think you may have perceived my post differently than I intended..

I am not out to sell these things to become a millionaire and I don't care about making 50 bucks off of each one. I am a detail oriented kind of person and its very easy for me to go into more detail than I would ever be monetarily compensated for- Just look at my posts here.

This video would show people things that they have always wondered about like how does the balancer work and how does a dyno work what does what how does it do it and why is it important...

Sure if I sold 4 times as many 25 dollar tapes as I did 100 dollar tapes at 1/4 the sales it would be the same money... I tend not to think about the "Bottom line", but rather "The redline" so I want to maximize the video's contribution to the market and compensate myself enough to pay for the production costs- Thats all. The volume of this video will not be as high as the Bug Me rebuild and conversion videos because the market is smaller, hence my concern for doing it the right way for all involved including prospectful buyers better known as "students"
samcat

Post by samcat »

$99 is whats got my vote.... Short of kidnapping Jake its the closest we can get ;)

Sam C
ʇɐɔɯɐs
crocteau

Post by crocteau »

ninety-nine bucks; git 'er done, Jake! :wink:
Volcano

Post by Volcano »

Great Jake,I'll give you $100 easy.I know how difficult it is to put one together.Don't bother with tape.Go for it! Best to you.Roger
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Halleluyah!

E
michaelmoo

Post by michaelmoo »

$99. Can't wait. DVD???

Mike
R2.0

Post by R2.0 »

Can you change the settings on the poll to allow more than 1 choice? Or multiple votes per user?

Looking at the poll, I can see where I could buy 2 diferent videos, but not others. For instance, I would buy a $99.99 video if it was the ultimate build up video - the sitting in your shirt pocket type.

I would also pay $25-$35 for a no frills video - like the basic rebuil;d, but just flag the highlights of differences required for the upgraded components. Tuning, sneak peaks, and extras not required.

Personally, the middle stuff I'm not interested in; I want the G.E.D. or the PhD.

R2.0
Plastermaster

Post by Plastermaster »

I voted $99. Not that I need one LOL! My thought is that if you are paying thousands for parts, and saving thousands building it yourself, 20 or 30 bucks more is nothing considering what is at stake. And as someone mentioned, this is your hard earned experience. If you add up the cost of your broken parts and time spent at your labor rate, how many videos would you need to sell to recover that cost? My guess is that if you were to recover those costs you will wind up with an oscar, or an emmy, or what ever they are. :D I can already hear your acceptance speech," I'd like to thank....

Ron