T4 bug goes 10.3

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
wizard

T4 bug goes 10.3

Post by wizard »

Russ Fellows went [email protected] in his bug with a stock 2l crank, case and rods :!: but modified porsche 6 cylinder heads, a big turbo and efi

And he drove it over 100 miles to the track and the same back again, it truely gets used on the street as well :)

All self built by "the cleverest man in the world times two" :D

not to shabby eh?
JonasL

Post by JonasL »

A bug in sweden ("Alutechbubblan") has driven 10.39 with a typ4engine with modified stock heads and deutz cylinders! I think it is 2.4L with stock crank and rods, and yeah, a big turbo :wink:
Frallan

Post by Frallan »

To Russ and all of you involved,
Congratulations!
Pretty trick achievement with stock bottom.
Still what amazes me the most is those pinned stock cams.
The real daily driver part is also supernice!

...and this is the first race of the season. It is a bit of "road" to the 9's but not unreachable I guess, this year or pretty soon anyway.
wizard

Post by wizard »

JonasL wrote:A bug in sweden ("Alutechbubblan") has driven 10.39 with a typ4engine with modified stock heads and deutz cylinders! I think it is 2.4L with stock crank and rods, and yeah, a big turbo :wink:
amazing what the stock stuff can handle, Russ runs over head cams in it, plus lots of clever ali boxes full of ice and such things :D
Bobtail

Post by Bobtail »

Obviously the wrong forum to put this in :shock:
It has all the wrong parts in, but Well done to Russ just converted to run alky puts out 400+bhp at the wheels.
You should see the onlookers faces when he wheelies from the traffic lights.....................priceless
JonR400

Post by JonR400 »

I'm not sure this is the wrong forum to put this in. Jake is normally in favour of all applications of the T4 engine, and I think he'll be glad to see this
MattKab

Post by MattKab »

We were racing at York and missed it. 10.308 was telephoned through in less than 10 seconds..
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Its not the wrong forum at all.
Its very respectable.

Knowledgeable individuals can do this with the parts that Russ has used.

The normal person lacks that knowedge or equipment to do it right and thats why I sometimes discourage it.
Bobtail

Post by Bobtail »

Update now runs 10.053

60 mph comin up in just a gnats over 2 seconds
Unfortunately split a barrel the first failure (other than gearbox and clutch probs ) in many years of racing and street use.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Bobtail wrote:Update now runs 10.053

:shock:
Unfortunately split a barrel the first failure (other than gearbox and clutch probs ) in many years of racing and street use.
Cool! :lol: I guess you were running over 2 bar turbo pressure when that happened? Richie from this site once saw the same in a tuned 993 twin turbo IIRC when the valve got stuck and pressure rose to 3 bar...

I am about to open up my (mag cased) 915 trans for at least some new synchros. Are there any performance upgrades you recommend? Mind you, I'am not about to go turbo...

BTW, congrets on that amazing ET!

Thanks,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

That's Sick!

E
Bleyseng

Post by Bleyseng »

Wally wrote:
Bobtail wrote:Update now runs 10.053

I am about to open up my (mag cased) 915 trans for at least some new synchros. Are there any performance upgrades you recommend? Mind you, I'am not about to go turbo...

BTW, congrets on that amazing ET!

Thanks,
Walter

Check the diff races and pinon bearing races carefully as they tend to pound out the case and losen up, actually fall out.
Brian62

Post by Brian62 »

Can someone estimate what torque and horsepower this car makes to turn a 10s time? 200+Hp?
TIA
dstar

Post by dstar »

Brian62 wrote:Can someone estimate what torque and horsepower this car makes to turn a 10s time? 200+Hp?
TIA
Well, if his car weighs 2100lbs, then it would take 379 RWHP to
push a 10.30 ........

That's prolly a gnat over 405 crankshaft HP.

IF it weighs 1900 lbs, he *only* needs 343 RWHP to turn a 10.30 .....
:twisted:

That would be about 375 cranshaft HP.
:D

http://www.race-cars.net/calculators/et_calculator.html

Don
Brian62

Post by Brian62 »

thanks Don.