Can I use square ports on my 914?

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
Eddie Brown

Can I use square ports on my 914?

Post by Eddie Brown »

Jake, I have a set of square port heads that need to be rebuilt for my intended motor for the 914. I think I'm going to go with a 96x78 since I have the crank and 93 cylinders already. Since stock 914 headers were made for oval ports, could I still use the heads by using the stock square port exhaust gaskets, or would i need to modify my headers by welding some square port exhaust flanges?.

I do have a set of 1.7 heads, but the ports seem to be quite restrictive in comparison...Either way, I'd like to have Len work on these heads when the time comes.

I also plan on adding a turbo to this motor, so would that be an impediment or advantage by using the square ports?

Thanks,

Eddie.
Daniel G

Post by Daniel G »

You would have to modify the exhaust to use those heads. I'll be using square port heads in my rail until I get my new engine built, and I just cut the flanges off a a set of square port heater boxes to fab my exhaust with. I'll take a pic for you if you want so you can see the differences between the two styles an how they mount up. That might give you some ideas.

Daniel
Eddie Brown

Post by Eddie Brown »

Thanks Daniel. I just took some pics of what i have to work with...

Square ports

1.7 heads

Daniel G

Post by Daniel G »

Here are those pics I took for you...

Maybe these can give you a few ideas.

Daniel
Last edited by Daniel G on Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel G

Post by Daniel G »

Here are those pics I took for you...

Maybe these can give you a few ideas.

Daniel
Eddie Brown

Post by Eddie Brown »

Thanks for the pics Daniel. Looks like I definately have to get those flanges if I want to use those heads...

Eddie.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Looks like exactly the exhaust I'm cutting up...for the same reason.
I'm planning to convert my 2.0 914 exhaust to stubs so I could later switch to the original 2.0 heads.

Might want to scale those pics down before someone on dialup has kittens.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Daniel G

Post by Daniel G »

I made the pics smaller, so you dial up guys wouldn't want to kill me... :lol:

If you need me to take a pic of anything else, just let me know and I will take one for you.

Daniel
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

The real killer of the Square port OEM head was that it came in hydraulic busses and vanagons.... Best case scenario those vehicles weighed 4500 pounds.

Finding flawless USED square ports is a huge challenge- thats why Len and I gave up on them unless they were 100% new heads. Even the new heads need rebuilding out of the box.

The other thing to remember is that Square port development is very young and is still being explored with every day further and further. Len and I have found that the rules used when building the engine need to change a bit when using square ports.
HAM Inc

Post by HAM Inc »

Jakes 100% right about the used sq. ports. I won't touch them, or any used 2.0 bus heads (that includes ovals) anymore. Been burned to many times.

As for the 1.7 ex. being restrictive, they can be modified without to much trouble. You should see what our 1.8 F-Prod engine can do with a 34mm ex. valve!

What size engine are you planning? The ex. port won't be an issue , but the intakes MAY be, if you are going big on the cubes AND rpm's.
Eddie Brown

Post by Eddie Brown »

Len wrote:

What size engine are you planning? The ex. port won't be an issue , but the intakes MAY be, if you are going big on the cubes AND rpm's.

Len, I'm planning a 2258cc (96x78) with 8.0:1 CR.. Turbo/EFI/Intercooled. I was thinking about a valve size of 44x38 with a .040" deck height, and a 119 Web cam. I don't want to rev it more than 6k rpms.

Thanks,

Eddie.
vrsechslvr

Post by vrsechslvr »

HAM Inc wrote:Jakes 100% right about the used sq. ports. I won't touch them, or any used 2.0 bus heads (that includes ovals) anymore. Been burned to many times.
Well CRAP, I was getting ready in the next few months to send you my 2.0 sq. port bus heads for rework. Now what will I do?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Buy Lens heads through my store- based on NEW castings.

Many things are changing for Len and even my shop and thats including head prices. Every day it is becoming more expensive- just like gas, milk and bread...
HAM Inc

Post by HAM Inc »

Yes, everything is getting more expensive. My parts and supplies cost have been inching up for quite sometime now, yet my prices have been stable. I do everything I can to keep my prices affordable, but I refuse to use inferior parts, OR techiniques, OR to cut corners.

A little more up front spread over the life of a superior engine is peanuts compared to the cost of having to start over after less miles than the combo is capable of. Especially when performance is superior too.
Eddie Brown

Post by Eddie Brown »

Len, am I better off using the 1.7 heads then?.

Thanks,

Eddie.