LE 200 heads- bolt on 40HP!!!

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

LE 200 heads- bolt on 40HP!!!

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I have just seen it with my own two eyes in a back to back test Brent and I did about 20 minutes ago!!!!!

We are still testing and trying to optimize the LE 200 heads on the engine, but the bolt on difference BEFORE TUNING WAS OPTIMIZED was 147Lb/ft of torque 146HP with the older heads that made up the "2270C" and 185 Lb/Ft and 184HP with the LE 200 heads!!

No other changes were made between those two runs, we even used the same exact spark plugs!!!

This is the biggest power difference I have ever seen from a pair of heads!!!!!
914fan

Post by 914fan »

WOW! :shock:
I wonder what kind of differance it would make on a 1902 or what ever 66x96 is. Those are the new heads with the cnc port work and ridges? I wonder that performance diferances you will see on the extreeems. Both large and small engines.
Good work Jake and Len.
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

That's insane! Just bolting on the heads? are the Combustion chambers that much different/CR ?

E
MASSIVE TYPE IV

CR was within tenths from being the same..

These heads would kill a smaller displacement engine, unless it was designed to rev to 8K.

read about these and the other LE heads here
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/cylinderheads.htm
The heads they were tested against were Genuine Porsche 3 stud heads with full port work and 44X36 valves, same as these!

We have a 2615 thats getting these heads in two weeks, we'll see how it does..

These were designed for the 2270 combos and the 2316s and thats where they have made the brute power so far!
iamstumper

Post by iamstumper »

Is "designed for" the same as "standard with"? Or is this something that would have to be specified? Whether kit or completed engine?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Designed in this instance means.. "Optimum"...

A version of these are going on your engine as well.. It should be VERY close to 200HP, maybe a tad higher
iamstumper

Post by iamstumper »

Optimum .... Gotcha.

Mmmm .... Monday, at work, and I'm already grinning!

Thanks, needed a good lift to the day! hehe

Ok, another question ... off the wall perhaps, do any of the developments (such as this) carry over and "help" the development of the Super 2.0 Liter - for better gas mpg / performance?

Or are developments like this strictly applicable to peformance in the sense of hp / tq?

Or as always, it is a matter of tune and combination?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

sure, everything we learn can be shared with engines that have other goals, like the Super 2.....
Plastermaster

Post by Plastermaster »

Would these heads compliment pretty much any 2270 combo? It is all in the combo ya know! :) .....really the important question....how about MY combo?

Ron
EASY RIDER

Post by EASY RIDER »

and mine.
Plastermaster

Post by Plastermaster »

EASY RIDER wrote:and mine.
Lets all crate up our engines and send them back to Jake for new heads! :D

Ron
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Plastermaster wrote:Would these heads compliment pretty much any 2270 combo? It is all in the combo ya know! :) .....really the important question....how about MY combo?

Ron
Plaster...
The engine is exacting yours but with 4 degrees less exhaust duration and a different lobe center!
HAM Inc

Post by HAM Inc »

Damn! I knew we'd made a big jump forward, but I didn't expect it be that big! Further proof that the flowbench does not tell the entire story.

I'll sleep good tonight!
marekv8

Post by marekv8 »

Crate? I'll drive mine over (at least to McDonough) and back to get a 500+ mile (each way) back-to-back comparison. Would the EFI need any major remapping to suit the new heads? Is the lead time similar to say a Tangerine super header construction?

Regards, Dave
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Dave,
Your combo is pretty similar to this one..

This engine actually used a smaller injector than yours as well as smaller throttle bodies..

We should be able to "Whip" yours into tune a bit better now, especially with these heads.

I'd need 3 months to get the heads done and create a weekend to install them and tune it....