Lord Bajamungus build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
kyle_pc_75

Lord Bajamungus build

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Ok, so this won't be much of a build thread yet, but I thought I'd share. I bought a standard '75 about two years ago with the intention of Baja'ing it. I had a Z28 at the time, but living in the mountains/desert, I wanted something to play with off road. The car was cheap and full of rust, so I built it on the cheap.

I picked up a junkyard bugeye kit, cut my front fenders for the rear, got some Baja bumpers, fixed what was broken, and ran it for a year or so. This spring, I sold the Camaro, put its comfy seats and most of its gauges in Bajamungus, and used the money to buy a Zenith setup and another, solid Baja.

Specs:
- loads of rust
- 1600 w/ Zenith and a few minor upgrades
- mostly rebuilt suspension
- 215 BFG A/T's on all fours
- lots of goofy racing stickers
- pretty stock otherwise

I'll be driving it until I finish my other project. :shock: After that, if I haven't lost all motivation, I'm going to tear this thing down, and start with the heater channels. Call me crazy, but I've become attached to it and there aren't many decent Bugs to choose from in Utah.

Here are couple pics:

Thanks for looking,
Kyle
Last edited by kyle_pc_75 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Lotrat

Re: Lord Bajamungus build

Post by Lotrat »

Nice! What's it look like from the front? Is there a center ridge on the hood?
david58

Post by david58 »

Yes post a shot of the front of the car I don't think I have ever seen that hood.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

Whereabouts are you at in Utah?
I live in Roy.
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

More pics:

About the oddest hood I've seen:

"Why yes, I am do race" :lol:

My beautiful custom dash:

Not sure what's funnier, the parking sign for a floorboard, or the fact that my friends' feet get wet and muddy:

Kyle
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

I've seen it in Person at the NO Show, and yes, it does look that good. :D
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
perrib

Post by perrib »

The simpler the Baja the more fun per $ spent. :)
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Got my Zenith setup installed about a week ago. After some tinkering, it's running pretty well thanks to STF.

Next....re-installing the choke as it can get ass-cold here.

Kyle
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Is that gauze filter dry as it looks? I can only tell if it's oiled when its red.
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

kyle_pc_75 wrote:Got my Zenith setup installed about a week ago. After some tinkering, it's running pretty well thanks to STF.

Next....re-installing the choke as it can get ass-cold here.

Kyle
And exactly how cold is an ass? :lol: Colder or warmer than damn-cold? :shock:
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Yeah, that filter's a piece of crap, came with the carb. I tried to clean and oil it, and it still looks gray. I need to address that.

And ass-cold...."as cold as a well-digger's butt" as my dad might say. Pretty sure that's about as cold as it gets. :wink: My job requires the occasional trip into our mines, and while I keep my hands to myself....oh, nevermind.

Kyle
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Interesting kit, I like the hood. Are the rear fenders from the kit as well or are they cut down steel? They have a different shape.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

kyle_pc_75 wrote:... I picked up a junkyard bugeye kit, cut my front fenders for the rear, ...
So I'm not the only one here just for the pictures.
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Lotrat wrote:
kyle_pc_75 wrote:... I picked up a junkyard bugeye kit, cut my front fenders for the rear, ...
So I'm not the only one here just for the pictures.
There are words?
I guess we both learned to read by stealing Playboys from dad's bottom drawer, huh?
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Tried to drive my car the last couple of days, and let me tell you, my Zenith setup does NOT like cold, snowy days. There's a definite carb icing problem as the manifold and base of carb get lots of condensation on them and the car runs like ass. My ideas for improvements:

- Install my thermostat and flaps
- Improve the preheat conduction of the manifold
- Reinstall the oil breather to the air filter for a little warm intake air

The manifold is one of these jobs, and is drilled through, but the lack of solidity to the structure sucks all the heat out of it:

I guess I could either reroute the preheat tubes, or maybe plate up the empty space to conduct better. Hell, even winding some solid copper wire around it might help. :shock:

If all that doesn't help, I think I'll try leaning out the mixture a bit more...I really need an A/F monitor.

Kyle