Best way to lift rear end?

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
UJSLOST
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:01 pm

Best way to lift rear end?

Post by UJSLOST »

I was thinkin maybe some air shocks but your the pros so let me know.
User avatar
perrib
Posts: 1891
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:00 pm

Post by perrib »

It is a cheap way. The free way is to remove the rear torsion and turn the counterclock wise to increase travel. Get the "Building Baja's and Buggies" book by Jeff Hibbirt. Lots of good information. As far as tires 70o 15s and 235 70 15s fit with no problem. I have seen 33x9.50s on stock rims.
User avatar
baja5
Posts: 2615
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:22 pm

Post by baja5 »

It's only counter clock wise on the pass sided it i'm not mistaken.
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 4&start=15

Assuming you are talking about the shocks similar to the units that Gabriel makes then look at my post of last night above. If you are talking about the ones Fox and other s make, Ignore this whole post. This is a; ‘for what it is worth’ post.

The Gabriel style does have its place but remember, they are more for lift than for shocking. They can be mounted with either a single fill or two fills with Schrader valves. With the single fill, both shocks are fed from the same line bia a Tee and if that line fails, anywhere for any reason, both shock deflate to about 7#’s. With two fills, and one line deflates then the shock will drop to 7#’s and the other will remain full.

With one fill (and this is more for trucks) and you are carrying a load, if you go around a corner the load change can cause the shock on the heavy side to send the air to shock to the light side (air balance) therefore accentuating the over balance of the load.

With two lines you can preload suspensions if you need to,

I am sure there are other things I have forgotten but you can put too much air in the system by accident (see the URL above for my bad experience with them). I have used them off and on for years and knew about the good and the bad, but still goofed with them.

I hope this helps. By-the-way, presetting the preload is not hard and there are several posts here on how to do it. Spring plate notching is also covered on the Hibbard book.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
User avatar
perrib
Posts: 1891
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:00 pm

Post by perrib »

baja5 wrote:It's only counter clock wise on the pass sided it i'm not mistaken.
OOPS, :oops: no wonder I had to go all the way around on the drivers side!!
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Image

This works for the opposite direction too
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

Since I see a future sticky....

What are the recommended upgrade for the torsions once they start to sag?

I read 28mm Sway Away somewhere. :?
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
mudman
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:01 am

Post by mudman »

I was thinking with a jack... Hmm :P
Sorry, I do not get on here much anymore just had to say it.
The chart that ol'fogasaurus posted is great info.
In tho OLD DAY'S I had the bugpack coilover shock's with a swingaxel, now I am running tripple bilstien with 28mm bars 3" over stock.

Mike
User avatar
perrib
Posts: 1891
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:00 pm

Post by perrib »

CopperBaja wrote:Since I see a future sticky....

What are the recommended upgrade for the torsions once they start to sag?

I read 28mm Sway Away somewhere. :?
It depends on the ride your looking for 26mm will give you a softer slow speed ride. I used 30 mm which is better for high speed runs. Just like Goldi Locks and The Three Bears the 28" are just right for most people.
While not cheap, you can't go wrong with a Sway Away center torsion bar adjuster to fine tune them. It is easy to stiffen them up a bit if needed.
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I finally found the setting preload string that I was involved with. There are several others out there too.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... ng+preload
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

http://www.swayaway.com/OffRoadRacing_5.php

$800/set? :shock:

Am I looking at the wrong bars??? :?
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
perrib
Posts: 1891
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:00 pm

Post by perrib »

Scroll down one more page to the non racing bars.
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

perrib wrote:Scroll down one more page to the non racing bars.
Thanks perrib!

How do you choose the length? Model year?
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
perrib
Posts: 1891
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:00 pm

Post by perrib »

IRS pan with IRS spring plate 26 9/16".
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

FYI;

model year vs. application

Size, Description, Applications
21 ¾ long, Short Torsion Bar, 60-68 Type I Swing Axle
24 11/16 long, Intermediate Torsion Bar, 49-59 Type I Swing Axle
24 11/16 long, Intermediate Torsion Bar, 69-72 Type III IRS
24 11/16 long, Intermediate Torsion Bar, 65-67 Type III Swing Axe
26 9/16, Long Torsion Bar, 73-L Type I IRS

Note: Measure tube extension past spring plate intermediate 4”, long 6”

Chart from Bugpack Product catalog.
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
Post Reply