Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
grelland

Re: Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Post by grelland »

Sorry for not updating more often, but here are at least some new prosjects I am working on over the winter.

I genuinly hate fb and the fact the the activity on the various forums seems to go down, so I will at least try to keep some of these threads current and interesting.

Anyways, I have two major engine-related projects this winter, and the first is to finally install a dry sump setup.

The plan is to mke a tank that mounts in the inner fender something like this:
tank mockup.jpg
My oldest son is training to be a CNC operator, and part of his education involves welding, so this is basically his project. I have added a couple of pictures of the progress:
tank mockup.jpg
tank 2.jpg
tank 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by grelland on Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grelland

Post by grelland »

tank 4.jpg
Excuse the look of some of the welds, but the guy is 19 and learning. He is a LOT better than me; that's for sure. ;)

Since the tank will be placed higher up than the sump, I will be using a valve that closes the supply line when the ignition is off:
valve.jpg
I have a CB peformance pump that my son will put in the lathe for a o-ring "job".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grelland

Post by grelland »

The other project is to have a look at the intake system, and based on the dyno results last fall, I feel that it will be a good idea to keep the air horns, but I am also looking at makin sure I have sufficient filtering of the intake air, so I will make a system that uses a centrally mounted air filter along these lines:
intake.jpg
The idea is to wrap a filter material around the rods between the red "plates" in this picture.

But in stead of the turbo-tubes on the previous picture, I will do something like this on each side:
airbox1.jpg
The idea is to maintain the air horns, inside quite large air boxes.

These boxes are my first attemt at 3d-modelling, so there is indeed a steep learning curve in this for me... My sons (aged 13 and 19) are patiently teaching me the fundamentals...
grelland

Post by grelland »

The plan is to 3d-print the parts in PLA and the wrap them with carbon fiber and epoxy resin for looks and durability.

Here are a couple of pics of the different steps of the process:
airbox 3.jpg
airbox 4.jpg
airbox 5.jpg
Now our (self made) 3d-printer had a technical problem so the left hand side one is not done yet, but I think this will look good once it is finished.

Hopefully it does not rob too much power, and also it will reduce the intake "barf" a little. I am using this as my daily driver during the "summer", so I am looking for a little comfort also ;)

I will keep you posted once the car is out of winter storage and the parts are test fitted :)
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Looks great! I love all of the 3d printed stuff. I use mine for small brackets and such. Nothing on the engine though. Not yet at least...
grelland

Post by grelland »

Thanks,

I ran my 3-d printed air horns more or less the entire season last year with no issues. There is a constant flow of air through them so they keep cool.
engine.jpg
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

some amazing stuff! got any links for that valve? i looked for one suitable when i was thinking about dry sump!
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

grelland wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:18 pm I will be using a valve that closes the supply line when the ignition is off:
valve.jpg
Grelland, where did this valve come from?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Beware:Those valves are frequently not rated for continuous duty...
When they fail, tehy fail closed...kinda like a late model mexican t1 thermostat, but for your oil supply.

This is one of those places that adding parts makes it less reliable.

Just use a decent quality $20 ball valve with a handle lock and an ignition cutoff switch attached... you dont need it to run in for groceries.

If concerned about engine filling up, the alternative is a cheap electric scavenge pump setup only used to pump out the sump if it drains back.
think oil change pump. some are hand powered...
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

100% duty cycle rated solenoid valves are available. ex;
https://www.electricsolenoidvalves.com/ ... to-return/
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

True, decent valves exist, but it's still a point of potential catastrophic failure.
The brass one shown earlier in the thread is not continuous duty rated...
Last edited by Piledriver on Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

I did have my brass Moroso solenoid stick on my accusump. Had to give it the old solenoid smack to get it to open after being closed and sitting for a few years with old oil in it.