2000 vw type I mexico

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
woolleymc

2000 vw type I mexico

Post by woolleymc »

i have one of the volkswagens made in mexico 1999-2004
can anyone point me in the right direction for engine and fuel injection parts??
will earlier FI from 1975 later vw interchange?
can i replace FI with caburetor? Kits?
any help would be appreciated
thanks
woolleymc
Bruce2

Re: 2000 vw type I mexico

Post by Bruce2 »

Many of the FI parts are the same as used on Golfs and Jettas. If you need a sensor, it will have the part number on it, you can just go to your local VW dealer and buy one.

You can get parts from Antonio:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... p?id=84077

There is nothing from a 1975 German FI engine that is the same as a Mexican engine.

Replacing the FI with a carb would be foolish. The FI engine runs better, makes more hp, gets better mileage, etc. It does everything better, that's why there aren't any carburetors on cars any more. If a mechanic tries to tell you to convert it to a carb, it's because he's too stupid to figure out what's wrong with your car. There are plenty of Golf/Jetta repair shops that understand the late model digifant FI. They will be able to fix your car.
woolleymc

Post by woolleymc »

thank you Bruce2
i took a look at thesamba and looks like he will be able so supply everything i need.
thanks again
woolleymc
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Bruce2 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:22 am Replacing the FI with a carb would be foolish. The FI engine runs better, makes more hp, gets better mileage, etc. It does everything better, that's why there aren't any carburetors on cars any more. If a mechanic tries to tell you to convert it to a carb, it's because he's too stupid to figure out what's wrong with your car. There are plenty of Golf/Jetta repair shops that understand the late model digifant FI. They will be able to fix your car.
THANK YOU BRUCE!