car stalls at idle

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
Jay R

car stalls at idle

Post by Jay R » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:49 pm

having problems with keeping car running at idle, engine was just rebuilt. 1600 2 port engine new everything. went thru three carb's rebuilt and flow tested solex 34 pic ,new bocar 34 pic and a spare 34 solex that seems to run the best. have some type of vacuum leak , because the car will only stay running at a higher idle if you take off the extention that goes to the air cleaner and put a piece of cardboard over the carb. tested the fuel pressure on the new fuel pump, and replaced baklite and gaskets and rubber seals everywhere

two mechanics can't seem to get it going. One says go dual carbs? if so what kind weber, solex , delorte 36,40,48?????

I tested for leaks can't seem to find any

What next???

Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:27 pm

While going dual carbs is not a bad idea it is not the fix.
How did you test for vacume leaks? Spray something like WD-40 at the bases of the manifold ,the boots,carb base etc. If the idle drops you`ve found the source of the leak.
What to recomend ? On a stockish engine you might look at the new dual 34 Solex(probably little to no appeal in that right now) kit from CB Performance and www.CIP1.com. Kads are an old favorite for mild engines. These would probably represent the most bang for the buck. You probably do`nt NEED dual throat Webers and would likely make a smallish engine run poorly. Good luck on the idle problem. Keep us posted so we can all learn something your mechanics do`nt know. Bob Ingman

Jay R

Post by Jay R » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:51 pm

done all the testing I think it is a combination of a hair line crack an old carb The weber puts out a 34 ict. dual for 300 includes the manifold and linkage kit and air cleaners

Cal Dez Rat

Post by Cal Dez Rat » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:34 pm

When I had my stock pict 34 on my 1600 dp I discovered that I had a tendency to stall at idle, even more pronounced when my headlights were turned on. It turned out to be my fuel idle solenoid wasn't getting enough juice to stay on. I found I had wiring problems later but for a short term fix I disconnected my electric choke (disabled the choke open first by twisting the housing). I later installed 36 dual dells and never regretted the change. The sound the dual dells make is pure music!

Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:45 pm

Jay R you`re talking about the ICTs. They are the 34 Webers single throat. You can find a good price on them at www.thesamba.com click on classifieds then on high performance parts for sale. Look for an ad from www.actionimport.com in Bossier City Louisiana. I think their price is about $250. Also look on page three for a set in Monterey Ca $250 and page 4 a set in Nampa Id about the same price. All sets are NEW so no buying someone elses problem. Good luck. Bob Ingman

rollin900

Post by rollin900 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:38 pm

my car starts to stall when i give it gas. anyone know anything about that? and i seem to also have a problem getting the spark plugs out. i have tried and tried and they will not budge. is there something special that i need to do? i have a 1600 engine.....one more thing. where is the engine number? i can not seem to find that anywhere.....I am the new VW guy on the block

thanks

nick

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:19 pm

you readjusted your valves immediately after the rebuild, and then at 500 miles, right? (assuming, of course, that you've put 500 miles on her).

Jay R

Went with webers

Post by Jay R » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:39 pm

So far i am very happy with the webers. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/inde ... 105112.jpg

Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman » Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:55 pm

JayR good job. As long as the Webers were within your means at the time it was a good way to fix the problem. Nothing beats an upgrade and the feeling of having something new and working to replace something worn out and defective. What did you have to put out totally considering purchase price, shipping and installation? Good luck. Bob Ingman
Last edited by Bob Ingman on Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jayr

install

Post by jayr » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:54 am

Bob

Picked them up from action for $285 I could of got them less with a discount from cip1.com of 10% but I bought from lee before. Thanks a lot for the advise. Install was $100, the mechanic that rebuilt the 1600 put them in when he tighened up the valves last saturday. I went overnight fro the shipping. I spent so much money on this car. I had to get it done for the end of the summer. Heading out East to Montauk, NY .

Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:54 pm

JayR , sounds like you`re set now. Keep postin. Good luck. Bob Ingman