Seafoam again

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
cruzinbug
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:52 pm

Seafoam again

Post by cruzinbug »

sorry i had to post again but it said the forum was locked. Sea foam is a liquid that you pour into the carbs and its supose to clean out the carbon material in your engine. My friends have used it in their honda's and ive seen it work for them. They suck it up from a vaccum line and it goes into the engine, after a while the engine starts to smoke, thats how it shows its working and cleaning off the carbon deposits, after 15 min they clean their integs run alot smoother and feel more responsive. I drove their integs to feel the differance and it does feel alot smoother. My question is has any one tried it on a VW? You can also pour it into the carb and work them same way but no sure if i should try it. Seafoam is sold at NAPA.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Oh, I have used something similar.... A few drops of water does about the same thing, OR a can of coke!
yetibone
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:31 pm

Post by yetibone »

What you speak of is top engine cleaner. It's supposed to *steam-clean* the carbon out of combustion chambers and off of valve radii.

I've used something similar made by Mega-Power. It came in 3 parts; one bottle of juice to add to the tank, one to add to the oil, and one to suck into the intake thru an open vacuum line. This stuff is more geared towards FI cars.

I wouldn't use the vacuum line stuff on an older engine 'cause it can wash the cylinder walls, and ruin some already worn rings.

I've heard of Sea-Foam products. I only use their transmission additives though.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Howdy....

Back when I was starting out, I made a gas cocktail.

Bit of Premium
Bit of Diesel
Bit of Seafoam
Bit of Octane Booster
Bit of Sta-Bil

The car smoked a bit... not sure if it really did anything... I was trying to clean it, cool it and feel like a mechanic.

I've heard rumours that a bug will run on Moonshine... I have run them on Propane ... but Coke???? Jake are you kidding (let us know before a newbie pours in a 2l bottle).

I'm not qualifed to be a chemist... the guys on the call in radio talk shows all seem to sear by the stuff.

We have a convertable that only recieves about 500 miles a year and doesn't get properly mothballed... I run a Seafoam and StaBil in it all the time.

I haven't had any hurt from it, but not sure if seafoam has improved the aircooleds.

T.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Don't put it in the fuel... Just spray some down the carbs at various revs....
cruzinbug
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:52 pm

Post by cruzinbug »

so i just pour a little bit of coke down the carbs and rev it a lil? is it going to smoke at all? what should i be looking for?
User avatar
sideshow
Posts: 3428
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:00 am

Post by sideshow »

I've done the water trick.

Take a glass of water;
  • Rev the engine
    Dribble some down the carb's throat !while running!
    If the engine loses RPM, back off the water
    Keep the engine running
As a really vague rule of thumb 1 pint of water @ 3000 RPM = 45 seconds.
Out of the tail pipe you will get steam or water drops depending on how much over time.

This method works with diesal, water or ATF. I use a garden hose and haven't tried fuel...ATF creates white smoke. Some day I will do only one side of a dual-carbed engine and then tear it down promptly.
User avatar
Brian Murray
Posts: 1111
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:51 pm

Post by Brian Murray »

too much coke will carmelize the top end wont it?

water evaporates, sugar melts...
Guest

Post by Guest »

I seem to recall reading that using coke for this type of thing is just like using plain carbonated water, except for negative effects from the sugar. Maybe it was club soda, or something, but I know the sugar can't be good. An example is using coke to wash windows; It can clean stuff off good, but leaves sugar and dye residue.

hmmm, wish I could remember my username here.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I have used a 5 gallon bucket full of Coca Cola Classic to blast out gunk from a T-58 Turboshaft engine before... It was prescribed by a team of Boeing Tech reps for an engine we had with consistent low power!

Just use common sense when doing it and you won't have problems.
Guest

Post by Guest »

Back in the old days we used to get a bottle of rubbing alcohol (70%). We would punch nail holes in the top and then let the engine suck the alcohol down the carb as the engine reved up and down.

The water/alcohol mixture seems to be ideal. The alcohol burns clean and the water provides a bit of steam clean effect. Oh yeah, the alcohol also lceans out thae carb passages.

One thing I was told was that, after the alcohol teatment, always let the engine run for a bit to blow all the water and oxidation out.
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:I have used a 5 gallon bucket full of Coca Cola Classic to blast out gunk from a T-58 Turboshaft engine before... It was prescribed by a team of Boeing Tech reps for an engine we had with consistent low power!

Just use common sense when doing it and you won't have problems.
We used 80 lb bags of thin-shell walnut shells on the LM2500s
and 1500s I used to work on!

After running that through them, we would take a peek inside
with the boroscope and everything looked like it was polished
to a mirror finish!

Walnut sheel have nasty sharp edges when broken that act like
*organic* sandblast media and the oil in the shell doesn't do any
*harm* either!
;-)

Don
User avatar
Brian Murray
Posts: 1111
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:51 pm

Post by Brian Murray »

dstar wrote:
MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:I have used a 5 gallon bucket full of Coca Cola Classic to blast out gunk from a T-58 Turboshaft engine before... It was prescribed by a team of Boeing Tech reps for an engine we had with consistent low power!

Just use common sense when doing it and you won't have problems.
We used 80 lb bags of thin-shell walnut shells on the LM2500s
and 1500s I used to work on!

After running that through them, we would take a peek inside
with the boroscope and everything looked like it was polished
to a mirror finish!

Walnut sheel have nasty sharp edges when broken that act like
*organic* sandblast media and the oil in the shell doesn't do any
*harm* either!
;-)

Don
you're kidding right?
User avatar
drkoontz
Posts: 931
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:01 am

Post by drkoontz »

Brian Murray wrote:
dstar wrote:
MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:I have used a 5 gallon bucket full of Coca Cola Classic to blast out gunk from a T-58 Turboshaft engine before... It was prescribed by a team of Boeing Tech reps for an engine we had with consistent low power!

Just use common sense when doing it and you won't have problems.
We used 80 lb bags of thin-shell walnut shells on the LM2500s
and 1500s I used to work on!

After running that through them, we would take a peek inside
with the boroscope and everything looked like it was polished
to a mirror finish!

Walnut sheel have nasty sharp edges when broken that act like
*organic* sandblast media and the oil in the shell doesn't do any
*harm* either!
;-)

Don
you're kidding right?
I have heard of this being done with good results (but not on a running engine:)
Guest

Post by Guest »

Well, the engines I was talkin about were turbines, and yes,
running engines!
:shock:

Thye were in here:
http://www.adi-limited.com/images/LM2550_Module.jpg

How else you gonna get a turbine to suck 80 lbs of walnut shells
through it?
:lol:

Ask Jake, I'm sure they used it in those little engines he worked on....
8)

Ours were 35,000 HP units........EACH..............4 TOTAL!
:shock:

Don
Locked