11 New cam grinds!
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
11 New cam grinds!
Yep, you got it! I have designed 11 new split duration, split lift/duration cams for the Type IV...
All of them are for pure daily drivers, one is for a Bus, but most are aimed toward maximizing the 2056 and 2270 even further. We are really breaking the barrier as some cams have 20 degrees more exhaust duration than intake duration and others have near .100 more lift on the exhaust side than the intake!
These will be getting broken in with my new fixture and then installed into my newest 2270 test engine, its sole job is to test these various camshafts in direct comparisons.
Look for me to be offering some of my older grinds to the public as we phase them out and make room for the updated grinds....
All of them are for pure daily drivers, one is for a Bus, but most are aimed toward maximizing the 2056 and 2270 even further. We are really breaking the barrier as some cams have 20 degrees more exhaust duration than intake duration and others have near .100 more lift on the exhaust side than the intake!
These will be getting broken in with my new fixture and then installed into my newest 2270 test engine, its sole job is to test these various camshafts in direct comparisons.
Look for me to be offering some of my older grinds to the public as we phase them out and make room for the updated grinds....
-
regis101
- Posts: 1070
- Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2001 1:01 am
So-za, yeah. I'd be interested in the bus cam. My application would be for a 2.0ish Westy engine. What engine configuration do you have in mind for the bus cam? Induction will retain the stock FI ( don't laugh, yet, 'cause i got a handle on it good enough for me ). Exhaust is a simple header with single quiet muffler. Good ignition. I'm thinking low 9:1 CR. 39mm intake and 33mm exhaust. I know it sounds consevative, but I have to deal with Cal Smog shite. Probably shoulda went with my first hunch and built two engines. One for smog day and the other for the time in between. Keep up the good work. Regards, Regis
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
-
Guest
I'll keep lurking in on this thread. But I am after a nice set-up for our Westy. I may have stated to you at some other time that I'd be willing to pay for a build sheet for the Camper Special, or even your improved Westy 2.0 configurations. I had someone build the present 2.0. I had someone build a 1775 for the 67 bus. Now it's time Regie builds a Westy torquer for himself. Regards
-
regis101
- Posts: 1070
- Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2001 1:01 am
- raygreenwood
- Posts: 11914
- Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am
In a few posts past...like last year, I noted that intake valve diameter in many well set up injected engines in the junkyard were nearly 1:1 with the runer diameter. What you need to realize is that this is functional diameter I am speaking of. On a 42mm intake valve, for instance, the important size is the ID of the seat. It is about 6-8mm less than the valve head size. Plus, you have the stem to contend with. That drops the usable diameter to right at the intake runner diameter. On type 4 1.7 and 1.8 runners, about 42-44 is max you really should run. Really, without risking damage to the head, you can only get so big a seat and valve in there. Without welding of course. Ray
-
Guest
I concur. Back in the day, we flowed a sm blk chevy using the stock port but increased the valve to a 2.02. It did nothing of value. The numbers were slightly less than stock down low. It had evidence of puddling at the back of the bowl. Porting helped bring them back up. This was before the aftermarket caught on. Now, outta-da-box heads flow better than the best ported stockers. See, I did hi-jack this thread.
-
VielziDub 2
Cam for a 2.1L 914 build for use in a Ghia
I am glad someone is doing split duration cams!
Which would be the best for a 2.1 litre, twin Dell 40 carbed, otherwise stock 914? I intend to use the stock valves from the 2L 914 heads as these are in good shape (and the exhaust valves are Sodium filled
) although I conceed upgrading the springs, possibly to hydraulic type would be a good idea (solid lifters originally). I don't really want duel springs!
I intend the engine to be used for moderatly fast road use, using upto say 5.5K rpm. It is quite a heavy car, so I not sure about duration!
Cheers,
Dan
Which would be the best for a 2.1 litre, twin Dell 40 carbed, otherwise stock 914? I intend to use the stock valves from the 2L 914 heads as these are in good shape (and the exhaust valves are Sodium filled
I intend the engine to be used for moderatly fast road use, using upto say 5.5K rpm. It is quite a heavy car, so I not sure about duration!
Cheers,
Dan
-
Guest
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
Nah, its just that the stuff I do is different and grabs attention. The engine I work with is what inspires the exclamation marks!
All my split duration cams that we will be selling to the public are at www.type4store.com
All my split duration cams that we will be selling to the public are at www.type4store.com
-
HAM Inc
- Posts: 591
- Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:33 am
VielziDub 2 I would strongly advise against reusing the Sodium filled ex. valves. They are hollow and they do break. Remember they are probably as old as the heads. I've seen plenty of dropped in. and ex. valves. Some hold up, some don't.
Playing Russian roulette with 30 year old valves is to risky for my money. Jake can sell you new valves for a good price. I use these valves in every pair of heads that leaves my shop and so far no failures.
Playing Russian roulette with 30 year old valves is to risky for my money. Jake can sell you new valves for a good price. I use these valves in every pair of heads that leaves my shop and so far no failures.
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
-
VielziDub 2
Split duration cams and valves
Thanks for the info guys! I will be heading for stainless valves then I guess.
Can't wait for the info on the available grinds Jake, just hope there is something there for me (I'm sure there will be!)
Thinking about it though, will fuel economy be included with the descriptions as the miles I put on my stock T1 motor are high, and I intend to do the same with the Type 4 in!
(Fuel ain't that cheap here, bloody wars and tax!
)
Are the description on the grinds anywhere on your websites Jake?
Cheers,
Dan
Can't wait for the info on the available grinds Jake, just hope there is something there for me (I'm sure there will be!)
Thinking about it though, will fuel economy be included with the descriptions as the miles I put on my stock T1 motor are high, and I intend to do the same with the Type 4 in!
Are the description on the grinds anywhere on your websites Jake?
Cheers,
Dan
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
The descriptions are not posted anywhere, many of them have never ever been sold to the public.
Fuel economy is dependant upon the rest of the combo as well- Not just the cam.
I have been comtemplating how to describe the cams without letting my data all go out the door with them and ending up in another engine builders shop. Fact is I may end up only selling 1/2 of the cams listed that were not as hard to design and just hope for the best.
Fuel economy is dependant upon the rest of the combo as well- Not just the cam.
I have been comtemplating how to describe the cams without letting my data all go out the door with them and ending up in another engine builders shop. Fact is I may end up only selling 1/2 of the cams listed that were not as hard to design and just hope for the best.