Found some wheel hop

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
User avatar
davygrvy
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:49 pm

Found some wheel hop

Post by davygrvy »

My framehorns are springy after all. Still waiting on my 5-bar Kafer Cup (pre-load) brace... And now I know for sure that I need one.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Better chill out- you'll break something. Wheel hop is the worst for tranny parts.
User avatar
davygrvy
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:49 pm

Post by davygrvy »

I just experienced it once and once is enough. Yeah, I know I have to chill out on the beatings.
EASY RIDER
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:22 pm

Post by EASY RIDER »

You are beating on that thing without the brace? :shock: :?

Dude, :? look at your bill of sale again or something but don't break anything, please.

May I ask why you did not get the brace before you put the engine in?

You KNEW that you were going to get on it.

Bert :roll:
User avatar
davygrvy
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:49 pm

Post by davygrvy »

I ordered it in the begining of June... ahem.. Long back order on those things..

Should I have:

1) Bought another months (or more) rent on the shop waiting for parts, or
2) accepted than suppliers can't get stuff immediately, and just completed what I could under the time restaints I had.

I went with option #2
EASY RIDER
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:22 pm

Post by EASY RIDER »

Well you should have gone for #1! Just kidding. :wink:

Maybe put a block of wood under the pedal. :lol:

Take it easy buddy.

Bert
User avatar
davygrvy
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:49 pm

Post by davygrvy »

EASY RIDER wrote:You are beating on that thing without the brace? :shock: :?

Dude, :? look at your bill of sale again or something but don't break anything, please.

May I ask why you did not get the brace before you put the engine in?

You KNEW that you were going to get on it.

Bert :roll:
From the advice I was given, a GB643 was enough. Now that I have the new engine and added a quaife ATB diff, just a GB643 isn't enough. I need the full pre-load stress bars, too. As I started dismantling the car, I realized I should get them anyway, just to be safe..

Oh well... Maybe if I had ordered it in January, I would have had it by the second week of July.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Sometimes the GB 643 is enough, it has alot to do with clutch adjustment and just how firm your frame horns are.. The frame horns have everything to do withit... Also the spring plate bushings play a key role as well.
User avatar
davygrvy
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:49 pm

Post by davygrvy »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Also the spring plate bushings play a key role as well.
Good point.
EASY RIDER
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:22 pm

Post by EASY RIDER »

David, while you are installing the Kafer 5 go ahead and weld the frame horns if you have not. Ask Jake.

Bert
User avatar
davygrvy
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:49 pm

Post by davygrvy »

weld the seams? Ohh, no one mentioned this.. argh :?
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Welding seams is standard with any performance application.
User avatar
davygrvy
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:49 pm

Post by davygrvy »

I wish I had know before..
User avatar
davygrvy
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:49 pm

Post by davygrvy »

Here's the results of this mornings parts hunting..

aircooled.net's Käfer Cup brace is on infinite back order.

The CSP one, which looks amazingly similar to aircooled.net's one, is available and their USA distributor is @ http://www.classicandspeedparts.com/
EASY RIDER
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:22 pm

Post by EASY RIDER »

Just a question. Did you read old posts about traction bar, kafer brace, type 4 ot type IV in a beetle, GB 643, Torque, wheel hop, Porsche brakes etc, etc........?

I searched everyday for info for about 6 months before I talked to Jake. After I talked to him I continued to search and read post that pertained to the subject of T4 in a beetle. I still don't think I know very much but I do feel that my car will be more than reasonably prepared for my new engine when it get in.

I know it will cool. I know it will stop. I know I will be able to monitor the engine with my gauges. I know I have taken the needed steps to hold the power.

I do not know what 183 foot pounds of torque will feel like :roll: .

Bert
Locked