NO Hipo rods.......should I sell the DPR 80mm crank?

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.

SHould I put this DPR 80mm Crank up for sale?

NO! Don't give up so quick! Have Carillo make you a set for $1000
5
56%
YES! Sell it to me CHEEP! :-P
4
44%
 
Total votes: 9

User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

NO Hipo rods.......should I sell the DPR 80mm crank?

Post by dstar »

I bought a crankshaft specifically because these rods were being made.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=85272

Now the Whiners and Pukes -> :evil: <- haven't honored their
pledges and Jake has given up on us. I don't blame him either.

There just isn't many real men, with REAL HONOR, in this world anymore!

Should I put this crank up for sale?
Let me know what you guys think!

Don
Guest

Post by Guest »

Don,
I am pissed as well, but I agree with Jake.
I sent in funds for 2 sets and was about to write another check for 2 more sets. Where did all of those who said they wanted a set vanish to ?
That $1000 a set for carrillo's is why I was prepared to buy a few sets.
Now the question is...how many sets do we need to buy from carrillo to get a good price?

Dominic
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Carrillo has ZERO discount on rods in bulk.
User avatar
Plastermaster
Posts: 2762
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Plastermaster »

Will the crank only work with the C rods? If so, it wont be easy to sell, so go for the rods. What were the rods going to cost? How much more are they now? Think of it that way. Maybe all the guys that backed out will contribute to the guys they screwed. LOL

Ron
User avatar
bj
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:01 am

Post by bj »

i've seen porche journal rods (used) for sale on the samba...granted not that frequently but here and there.

i'm sure the rod lengths are longer than the H-beams that jake was going to have made for us, but would that work for you?

not sure what combo you were after but just another suggestion. :-)

bj
User avatar
Class 11 streeter
Posts: 4083
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2001 12:01 am

Re: NO Hipo rods.......should I sell the DPR 80mm crank?

Post by Class 11 streeter »

dstar wrote:Should I put this crank up for sale?
Let me know what you guys think!
Ok, here's what I think...............keep it!

Yes, keep it. For as long as it takes.

I now you have some coin dropped into a crank that's screaming to live in an engine, but a wise man (or wise guy depending on how the light hits him) once told me everything you have ever wanted will come to you in it's own time.

Ok, WTF does that have to do with a set of custom made rods? Truthfully, nothing, but I still choose to take the optimistic road and say have faith.

I think Jake believes in himself more than we seem to believe in him, so I refuse to think he will permanently drop a good idea solely on the inaction of a few. I am even suprized the group buy came up while Jake was in the middle of getting his 3.OMG together, that shows how thin he is willing to spread himself..................so, that to me is encouragement that after the smoke from this monster engine clears, and as he lights the fires for another "impossible" project, maybe, just maybe, we can gently prod him back to this issue again. I say set the crank in the corner for now, maybe decorate it with Christmas ornaments, but the last word has yet to be said!
And no I am not drunk again either! :|
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Wally »

Don,

The 80mm Oettinger cranks also had the original 50mm rod yournal and most all were used with the original 2 liter rods and 103mm pistons hanging on them with great results decades ago .
Your crank will only push a light 96mm piston IIRC, so why not have a 2 liter rod set lightenened and rebuild with the ARP bolts if you feel you need them?

A 450 gramm rod is truly an art and it was an unique opportunity for that price, but not a neccesity for most builds IMHO.

Regards,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

It may have *worked* but a 5.1 rod on an 80 stroke crank???

I have done it and it sends piston speeds through the roof and really screws with tuning and promotes detonation.
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

OK Jake, what options DO I have at this point?

What would be the individual costs? I already have the $350 set back,
so I guess I can add more, now that I *have* to buy a rod with those
specs, and refuse to run a 790 gram rod on an enigine I want to turn
6500 reliably.....

Don
User avatar
Muffler Mike
Posts: 3186
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Muffler Mike »

have you checked with Pauter about making some rods?
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

Muffler Mike wrote:have you checked with Pauter about making some rods?
NOPE, good idea!

I had always thought they were WAY out there with their pricing....
:oops:

But, now I'm STUCK!
:evil:

Don
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Pauter will make them....
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Pauter will make them....
Wanna guess on a PRICE?
:oops:

Don
User avatar
Muffler Mike
Posts: 3186
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Muffler Mike »

dstar wrote:
MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Pauter will make them....
Wanna guess on a PRICE?
:oops:

Don
I'd guess $850
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

Muffler Mike wrote:
I'd guess $850
:shock:

YOU PEEKED!

:wink:

Don
Locked