Camper engine build

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
jonnydot

Camper engine build

Post by jonnydot »

Hi guy's what size build would recommend for a heavy 76 camper for touring I have a 2l type 4 with a 6 rib box, I have a new pair of 44 IDF Webers ,Intend on running 16 inch rims, oil cooler kit, mild port and polish and happy to use larger valves with a 3 way seat cut. I have rebuild engines in the past so capable of doing it myself.
wreck

Re: Camper engine build

Post by wreck »

I would recommend a 96 x 78 . a good exhaust is a must .
No matter where you go , there you are !
jonnydot

Post by jonnydot »

Thanks Wreck what exhaust would you recommend a link would be great if you could?
wreck

Post by wreck »

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/exhaust-hea ... 3874b.html

plus you need the J tubes , unfortunately good Type 4 exhausts are not cheap and there is not a huge selection . Tangerine Exhaust is also someone to contact to see what they have . An engine that size would need an 1 5/8 primary tube header .
No matter where you go , there you are !
GARRICK.CLARK1

Post by GARRICK.CLARK1 »

I use a turbo Thomas stainless on my type 4. It's worth waying up the price of different manufacturers plus the shipping.
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

I'd ask more questions about your budget and how much longevity plays a part in your goals...

A bus motor constitutes a 'severe' use environment,
And no matter how well-built it might be,
Long strokes and thin cylinders will ultimately reduce longevity.
Perhaps Nickies are in your budget?
When you increase displacement, you'll be wanting to get a full header with no heater boxes (or custom large-diameter heater boxes).
Do you have a gas heater? Do you live in a place where you need heat?
If you're popping for a header, stroker crank, and big cylinders, might as well go bigger on valves as well.

I stuck with stock displacement and the motor is still together after 15 years of loaded hard use.
Power gains were made with slightly bigger valves, a better cam, more static CR, and a header that works with the factory heater boxes.

While the urge to build a big stroker motor is large indeed, and i have many of the parts sitting here,
ultimately i decided that cost and longevity were more important on what's essentially a utility vehicle.

If this bus is really just a toy for you, and you have the cake,
it would be really fun to build a proper big motor for it.
Just know that it'll come with more than one hefty price.. :wink:
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
'77 Westy

Post by '77 Westy »

2316cc pushes my fully loaded Westy up passes in the Alps.

96mm AA Biral cylinders, KB hypereutectic pistons, 80mm forged counter-weighted crank, 1800 heads with 41x34 valves (exhaust sodium filled), 5.325” H-beam rods, Scat C25 cam and Lube-a-Lobe lifters, 9.0:1 CR, standard heat exchangers, 42mm CSP Python exhaust, Weber 40 IDF carbs with 32mm chokes, 26mm oil pump, 28-row oil cooler. 6-rib box with 0.82 4th gear and locker diff. 15” wheels, 195/70 tyres.

It doesn’t burn oil and doesn’t overheat but inevitably it wont last as long as a standard engine, it’s not a daily driver and long engine life wasn’t a priority, nor was maximum BHP. It is used summer and winter hence the heat exchangers and consequently relatively small exhaust.