Breast plate mods for type 4 into Ghia

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Gnasha

Breast plate mods for type 4 into Ghia

Post by Gnasha »

I'm at the point of mocking up the type 4 engine with the Ghia gearbox tinware. I have the original T1 breast plate. My thoughts were to use the outer curve of original Ghia plate and incorporate the type 4 lower profile.

I really need some ideas for this, I have no idea which bay plate I should be looking for, IF that's the right direction to go for. The engine is a GD 1979 using the CSP cylinder covers.

Any help would be appreciated
Clatter

Re: Breast plate mods for type 4 into Ghia

Post by Clatter »

FWIW, in putting a type 4 in my type 3,
I found that using the rear (of car) tin from a 914 worked very well.
This being flipped around to the front of the motor at the ‘firewall’ in a rear-engine application.
It was offset perfectly, and with some trimming did the trick.

Hope this helps.
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
Gnasha

Post by Gnasha »

Clatter wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:08 am FWIW, in putting a type 4 in my type 3,
I found that using the rear (of car) tin from a 914 worked very well.
This being flipped around to the front of the motor at the ‘firewall’ in a rear-engine application.
It was offset perfectly, and with some trimming did the trick.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for this advice, this is just what I need. So to flip the rear tin from a 914 and reuse as a tin at the front of the engine firewall? Do you know if these are readily available new or used?
Thanks for your time
wreck

Post by wreck »

I used the Type 1 tin on both my conversions . The didn't want to cut the fan mounts back on the other engine and sort of reverse "Frenched" the lower left mount in the tin , just cutting a relief hole to allow the tin to move closer to the case would also work . I bent the tin at the mounting holes and used a 6mm nut and bolt to attach it to the case rib . Then trimmed the right side to suit the profile of the cylinder tin , it sits at the same height as the lower step of the type 1 rear piece . One the LH side I added a piece of tin so it sits under my CSP cooler bloke off .

pic of my other one with a Sharp 911 shroud . the cylinder upper and lower flanges are the same as stock tin down in the Joe Cali method . which is also the right height for type 1 tin . I just needs trimming to fit .
rear tin .jpg
634ACB18-0950-40DE-9363-D10DD27D35BA_1_105_c.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No matter where you go , there you are !
Gnasha

Post by Gnasha »

wreck wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:44 am I used the Type 1 tin on both my conversions . The didn't want to cut the fan mounts back on the other engine and sort of reverse "Frenched" the lower left mount in the tin , just cutting a relief hole to allow the tin to move closer to the case would also work . I bent the tin at the mounting holes and used a 6mm nut and bolt to attach it to the case rib . Then trimmed the right side to suit the profile of the cylinder tin , it sits at the same height as the lower step of the type 1 rear piece . One the LH side I added a piece of tin so it sits under my CSP cooler bloke off .

pic of my other one with a Sharp 911 shroud . the cylinder upper and lower flanges are the same as stock tin down in the Joe Cali method . which is also the right height for type 1 tin . I just needs trimming to fit .

rear tin .jpg634ACB18-0950-40DE-9363-D10DD27D35BA_1_105_c.jpeg
Thank you for the your time and the photos, do you have any of the plate over the bellhousing/firewall?
wreck

Post by wreck »

I used a type 1 tin and trimmed it , I run it on the transmission side of the case and trim it where the cylinders get in the way , I added pieces to bolt to the inner screws on the cylinder tin upper and lower flange , sorry no photos on that .
No matter where you go , there you are !