Fuel pump pushrod sleeve removed - fix without engine disassembly

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
*dadan*

Fuel pump pushrod sleeve removed - fix without engine disassembly

Post by *dadan* »

Hi all,

in the beginning of my engine build I had my block ultrasonic cleaned and the guy was wondering why I had pulled all the plugs except for that one, so he removed the plug and the sleeve and drilled and tapped it. :oops: I didn't realize it while assembling it, until I wanted to slide my fuel pump pushrodrod in. :x I know Ishould've double checked everything...
So I now have a perfectly good new engine, that most likely has oil pressure problems :(
Do you have an idea what to do without having to disassemble the whole engine? Running an electric fuel pump is not a problem, I just want to avoid any oil pressure issues.
I came up with the following three possibilities and I'm curios to hear your thoughts about them.
Option 1: Modify a set screw, so that it plugs the oil gallery, while being screwed into the drilled and tapped outside hole.
Option 2: Using an o-ring plug like that one: https://www.hasco.com/de/Z/Temperiersys ... p/Z9425_d1
to plug the oil gallery. The diameter of the gallery is 10mm right? so this might work.
Option 3: Slipping a notched rod into the hole, that the fuel pump rod sleeve is normally pressed into. The outside plug then prevents it from moving.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce.m

Re: Fuel pump pushrod sleeve removed - fix without engine disassembly

Post by Bruce.m »

Ah..

If the tapped thread is not 100% accurately centred & on axis you will struggle to get a tight fit in the oil galley for option 1.

If you can get a aluminium plug made to a light interference fit and use sealant plus the outer threaded plug as support (to stop it blowing out), that might work.

Or option 3 with o-rings either side of the oil gallery.
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

Not sure how you'll nut this without disassembly,
But keep us posted.

Maybe this guy's fix can help with ideas?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... ey#9593983
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
*dadan*

Post by *dadan* »

Thanks for your opinions guys!
As of now I think option #2 is going to be my best chance. Can you confirm that the galley's diameter is exactly 10mm?
According to the manufacturer, the plug holds pressures of up to 145psi, which should be plenty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce.m

Post by Bruce.m »

Cheap Small bore gauge set might be worth getting, if you also have a 1” / 25mm micrometer. Handy for measuring valve guides too
*dadan*

Post by *dadan* »

Well, I ended up with a combination of option number 1 and 2, as the outer hole was tapped right through to the entrance of the galley. So I used that 10mm o-ring plug a little deeper in the galley and I shortened a bolt to screw it on to seal the galley from the outside.
For now I'm happy. I've got almost 60psi cold idle oil pressure and 25pso with an oil temperature of 150°F. Couldn't let it heat up more, as it was late at night yesterday.
Thanks for your advice!

To everybody going through the same! I'd be happy to send you one of those oring plugs. I had to buy five of them and I sure hope I won't be needing another one anytime soon.
*dadan*

Post by *dadan* »

More pics.
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

Sweet fix, and nice work.

You glued that slotted plug in good i hope. Maybe green Loctite sleeve retainer?
The pipe plugs usually used are tapered NPT thread, so make sure that yours doesn't decide to back out..
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853